Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Introduction and Intermittent Start Issue - '90 SR5/MT/V6

Old 02-17-2016, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Introduction and Intermittent Start Issue - '90 SR5/MT/V6

I'm sure an introduction is appreciated before just diving in and blasting away with questions, so here's a little about me. (And then I will go back to searching this great forum, looking for past solutions to similar problems.)

I'm 36 years old and just picked up my first Toyota, a 1990 4Runner that belonged to my buddy for six months before it developed an intermittent start issue. Besides wanting a project for my old man and I, why in the heck did I buy a rig that doesn't run and has sat in a driveway for the last two years? Well, I'm a fishing and hunting fool with two big dogs and I just bought a new full size truck that I want to stay in good shape. I literally hunt, scout, fish, or work my dogs six out of seven days because I live that double-income-no-kids life and work 4 days a week. The pay isn't great, which is why I have this problem:

The 4Runner was garaged several years ago because it was purchased used and developed an intermittent start issue. The problem is vehicle will start MOST of the time, but every once in awhile there is no response when the key moves into the start position. Nothing, not even a click. This can happen first thing in the morning, or after running several errands.

The 4Runner did have an aftermarket sound system installed, some KC lights, and other electronic accessories, so this may be part of the issue.

250K miles.

As for my background under the hood of a car, if you tell me what to spin, I can spin it. If you give me a good YouTube video, I can watch about 500 times on my iPad in the garage, cussing up a storm, and trying to follow along.

My question is for you 4Runner gurus on here. What might I be up against and what do you think I might pay to get this all sorted out at the mechanic?

Thanks for any advice or input.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:40 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Welcome to Yotatech.

1. Get the manual. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...mobile-275285/ , http://web.archive.org/web/201208120...buchanan/93fsm YouTube is good for cat videos. For figuring out how to work on a Toyota, not so much.

2. Get a multimeter http://www.harborfreight.com/7-funct...ter-90899.html You have an electrical problem. Trying to fix it without a multimeter is a really big (and pointless) challenge.

You probably have a bad ignition switch, but I'd start with the starter relay. Starter relays are in different locations depending on, well, I don't know. Here's what I know about them: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...switch-287859/ If you pull the relay, use your multimeter and the manual to test it. If you pull the relay, use your multimeter to check for voltage on pins 1 and 2 with key to start.

Use a mechanic? They are professionals; there's no shame in seeking out such help. But here, you have an intermittent problem. When it fails to start for you, you can pop out your multimeter and do the checks. But once you put your rig into the mechanic's bay, it will behave like a saint and never fail. So a good mechanic would rely on your report, and sell you a new ignition switch and a new starter relay, which covers most of the bases. But would cost more than you need.

Good luck!

Last edited by scope103; 02-17-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:56 AM

Its very hard to say without specific information on what will fail or what must be replaced as its depends on how well it was maintained. Even then you will be fixing something as most 2nd Generation 4runners are 24 -27 years old.

I myself, own a 1990 4runner 3VZ-e and ive spent about 7K for just maintenance and repairs. If you have the time, will & money, then I would say its worth it. If not, I would pass. No matter how well it was cared for and if you choose to buy one, you will be fixing something on it in the future.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
Welcome to Yotatech.

1. Get the manual. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...mobile-275285/ , http://web.archive.org/web/201208120...buchanan/93fsm YouTube is good for cat videos. For figuring out how to work on a Toyota, not so much.

2. Get a multimeter http://www.harborfreight.com/7-funct...ter-90899.html You have an electrical problem. Trying to fix it without a multimeter is a really big (and pointless) challenge.

You probably have a bad ignition switch, but I'd start with the starter relay. Starter relays are in different locations depending on, well, I don't know. Here's what I know about them: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...switch-287859/ If you pull the relay, use your multimeter and the manual to test it. If you pull the relay, use your multimeter to check for voltage on pins 1 and 2 with key to start.

Use a mechanic? They are professionals; there's no shame in seeking out such help. But here, you have an intermittent problem. When it fails to start for you, you can pop out your multimeter and do the checks. But once you put your rig into the mechanic's bay, it will behave like a saint and never fail. So a good mechanic would rely on your report, and sell you a new ignition switch and a new starter relay, which covers most of the bases. But would cost more than you need.

Good luck!
Thank you! The manual is on the way and I have the multimeter. I'm going to put a new battery in it and try to get it to my place tomorrow. I'm thinking it could also be the clutch switch.

I'm going to try a little experiment an acquaintance suggested:

"I'd run a temporary wire and pushbutton directly to the starter solenoid so I can engage the starter without the key switch. Just leave it hanging under the dash and try using it whenever the key switch won't work.

So when the key switch messes up, go straight to your bypass pushbutton and see if it will turn over. If it won't turn over from the pushbutton, then something is going on with your starter or grounding. If it will turn over from the pushbutton, then you know you have bad wiring, clutch switch, or key switch. in that case, you can start moving that temporary wire 'up the chain' to determine if its wiring, clutch switch or keyswitch."
Old 02-17-2016, 11:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need to be extra careful using a push button switch since you have a manual transmission. Engage the emergency brake and put the transmission in neutral and stand to the side instead of in front of the truck when pressing the button. There is a lot of info on the forum for intermittent starts problems, try doing a search. You can save some money and aggravation by doing some research. Research starter relay, hotshot plus relay, voltage drop, wiring flaw and larger battery cables. Many people/ mechanics spend money replacing things like starters and batteries and still don't solve the problem.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:11 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
I think shankbone is talking about installing the pushbutton in the cab; if installed correctly, it might help him diagnose the problem AND keep him from getting stranded.

But since he would be bypassing (as chuckross points out) the clutch start switch, shankbone needs to be careful that no one is standing in front (or behind) the truck when he starts it that way!

The starter solenoid pulls about 4amps; you'll need a relatively hefty switch to handle that current. You don't want that switch to weld together; you won't be able to stop the starter!
Old 02-18-2016, 06:16 AM

Thank you.

Very small update: I went over last night and pulled the battery, took it down to NAPA, and they are charging the battery for a load test today. I wanted to rule out any funky battery problems because, from all of my research, the ignition could be caused by a number of things.

NAPA did not have a replacement battery in stock, so I will put the old battery back in the 4Runner if it charges and tests okay.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:57 PM

Second update:

I put a new battery in it tonight and the only lights we could get to come on were the headlights.

Turning the key in the ignition did nothing, so we towed it to my house.

I'm not sure what to test first, or how to test it. This is my first project rig.