Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Intro: me & my 90 with a 1kd

Old 10-27-2013, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intro: me & my 90 with a 1kd

Hey everybody. Excited to be here! Just upgraded from a 74 land cruiser 40 series to a 1990 5-spd 4x4 4runner with a 1kd 3.0 turbo diesel in it. She's one hell of a sweet ride, but I have very little information about her.

So now I get to dig into her and see if she needs anything. The previous ownder had a shop do the engine swap from the 6 cyl 3.0 gasser to a 2004 prado 1kd 3.0 tdi. He didn't change the tranny, and he didn't re-gear it either.

She drives good, but 20 minutes driving up a mountain today and the floor and hump with the stick shift & tcase shifter got really hot to the touch. And if I take her over 45 mpg, she really vibrates a lot. I'm thinking a wheel is out of balance or the wheel bearings are bad. Any other thoughts?

I have no idea what maintenance the previous owner did, so I'm thinking its time for a timing belt change, oil & filter change, transmission oil change, balance all the wheels, check the wheel bearings, rotate the tires.

Anything else you guys recommend for me to get started with this new girl?

By the way, the tachometer, odometer, and oil pressure gauges all don't work, and the parking brake and battery lights come on if I'm not revving the engine up high (but the voltage gauge keeps reading good volts all the time). I'd rather have a low oil pressure alarm than a gauge, but right now I have nothing. The previous owner must have tried to roll back the odometer. jerk. I'm curious about the tach. I wonder if it won't connect to the 1kd engine.

she smokes black a bit at high acceleration. I wonder if she's adjusted right. Should I have the timing checked?

Pictures to follow.

el camaleon