Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Intermittent stopping while running and then difficult to start

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent stopping while running and then difficult to start

Hi guys,

I have a 1992 Toyota half ton 4wd v6 that I bought recently. We have done some work to it since getting it

Replace alternator
Power steering pump
heater fan switch.

The issues is it runs fine for awhile then stalls on idle and then it will start and only run for second. After a while with some wire wiggling, cursing etc it starts. The connector on the MAF is not connecting solid as the clip is broken on one side. Try wiggling this for a while and sometimes it starts. Tried spraying with wire treatment in case moisture was present etc. Still does the same thing. There does not seem to be any correlation as to when it decides to quit sometimes it is after a 15 minutes sometimes longer. It all started after the work mentioned above and with an engine wash to clean off the leaked power steering fluids.

I have read forums on the COR and EFI. The truck has a new EFI and the symptoms don't appear to match what I saw for a COR as it runs for a while then quits.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-05-2016, 02:13 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Are you sure you're using the right curses?

First, I don't think it's the heater fan switch. But it does sound like your connection from the VAF to the COR is intermittent. As soon as the connection opens, the COR drops out, and the fuel pump stops. (Engine wash will do that. Easily.)

I'd start with a zip tie or duct tape or anything to hold the VAF connector in place. If that clears up your problem, then fabricate/buy a new clip to hold the connector together.

If that doesn't seen to do it, I'd "instrument" the FP connector on the diagnostic connector. (Get an LED and a 1k (or so) resistor; wire it from FP to ground and pull the wire up to where you can see it while driving.) FP should have 12v as soon as you turn the key to start and keep 12v until you shut down. If it blinks out and the truck dies, your fuel pump is stopping. Then work backwards to find out why
Old 11-05-2016, 07:04 PM

Thanks, We are going to change a couple of the connectors and see what happens. I will keep you posted.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have never had a COR to go bad myself. It is located behind the passenger speaker and you should not have gotten it wet with it being protected. The connections on the other hand getting wet under the motor I would suspect. I have washed all my motors with lots of water and other then a distributor cap getting wet, never any problems with cleaning a motor. Since it sounds like your problem started after the cleaning, I would check into the connectors. Several connectors can be bought online and some part stores.

Like scope mentioned, I would look into fuel system as well.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:17 PM

Found Problem

Hi Guys,
I unplugged the wires next to the one that goes to the distributor from the firewall and it was wet and rusty. Cleaned it up and truck has worked fine since. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-10-2016, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Thanks for letting us know what was the issue. It could help someone in the future.