Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Intermittent starting problem after tune-up - related or coincidence?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent starting problem after tune-up - related or coincidence?

'95 4R V6

Recently did a tune-up and a couple other things on the 4R (fuel filter, PCV mod, plugs, wires, cap + rotor). As soon as this was completed, I noticed starting issues. First time, it hesitated for a fraction of a second before it started to start after the key was fully turned. But it started fine and ran fine after being started. It was fine for a few days and then did this same thing once again. And then fine for a few more days.

Then it did something a bit different. I went to start it, and this time, it sounded like it barely had enough power to start, kind of slow to start like when a battery is drained down very low and just has enough juice to start it. But there were no other symptoms of this being the case - dimming lights or low power to any accessories.

It started fine a few more times and did the above again. Went out to start it yesterday and only got a click this time. Tried to jump it to see if this would help out at all and it didn't.

Once it gets started, it runs fine. So, could these starting issues at all be related to the tune-up or anything that was changed or is the timing coincidental? I've looked at the many starting posts on here, and I have a pretty good idea what to check - starting with the starter. I experienced similar symptoms when my starter went bad last time.

Also, its sitting on the other side of my complex and is difficult to work on where it is. I would like to get it back to my garage to work on it. Are there any tricks, besides tapping on the starter if that indeed is the problem, to get it started once?

Thanks!!!
Old 04-20-2008, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure was the starter contacts

To answer my own post in case it helps someone later, it was the starter contacts, they were thrashed. I got the two contact kits from the dealer. Just coincidental that it began to happen as soon as I did the tune-up. Lots of great starter info on here and other places made it a fairly simple and straight forward install!!!