86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

intermittent Smoking

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
intermittent Smoking

Hi I have a 94 pickup 22R motor and it starts up great and runs fine except on a hill or at a certain rpm and it starts what sounds like valves chattering it starts loosing power and smokes really bad it is a browish and blue smoke and then it will clear up and run fine and it doesn't do it all the time can anybody help me I have did a tune up and replace the PCV valve so any ideas? Thanks
Old 01-07-2010, 06:34 PM

head/gasket possibly, maybe running too rich, but oil in the smoke---hmm, still could be gasket or head, but could also be rings seals, or valve seals.
you may try some Rislone, or Restore, and then for the oil leak itself, add a quart of ... what is that
stuff? Lucas oil, that is it. I would add 1 can of restore or rislone, then a quart of Lucas stop leak, then your final 2 or 3 quarts of oil, if it is 4 or 5 quart max.
and I would do this, for each oil change.

it sounds like burned and unburnt oil is getting past, that is why I say rings/pistons, and valve seals...

this condition, though you may help it temporarily with the above liquids, is not going to get any
better, and you will have to decide on the engine, eventually.

Last edited by rangerruck; 01-07-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:09 AM

If it was internal like rings seals or valve seals wouldn't it smoke all the time? It doesn't smoke on a start up or changing gears just on certain times it will act up and smoke and then clear up and run fine any other Ideas I have a quart of rislone to try but it is using more gas than normal as well any other ideas??
Old 01-08-2010, 02:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Didn't we already have this discussion? Could've sworn....

Anyhow, brownish smoke is going to be unburned fuel exiting the tail pipe. No connection to the PCV system at all. Could be caused by detonation or otherwise improperly advanced ignition timing or possibly a lean fuel mixture which could bring on detonation.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
This is Yotatech. Duplicate topics up the wazoo here. (some more relevant than others.)
Old 01-08-2010, 02:23 PM

Just weird.

Originally Posted by DupermanDave
This is Yotatech. Duplicate topics up the wazoo here. (some more relevant than others.)
Well I usually might agree but I have a PM from the OP dated 1/7/2010, 2:39 pm:
Originally Posted by kdawgg11
I got up this morning and I saw the light come on and it must work but it didn't do it at all today I went and talk to a guy and he said check the PCV valve make sure it rattles which it does and then check the hose while it is running to see if it sucks and it does and I check all the places you asked me to and they are dry and tight and looks fine do you have any other suggestions and I look to see if I saw any vaccum hoses loose or leaking and I couldn't tell it is getting dark now but I wonder what it could be anymore ideas for me?
He was replying to a question I posted in that thread regarding if the CEL light came on when the problem occured. I searched my post history and none of the posts I made to that thread show up. Seems like the forum was restored from a database and lost more recent posts than the back-up.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:12 PM

yeah I had to re do the thread cause it wasn't here
Old 01-08-2010, 04:13 PM

Anyhow, brownish smoke is going to be unburned fuel exiting the tail pipe. No connection to the PCV system at all. Could be caused by detonation or otherwise improperly advanced ignition timing or possibly a lean fuel mixture which could bring on detonation.
so what should I try next?
Old 01-08-2010, 04:20 PM

It's a random problem and I'm still trying to come up with a reason for it.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:23 PM

Logically, either the ignitor is getting improper signals and is firing sparkplugs when it shouldn't, the ECU is sending faulty ignition signals to the igniter, or your injection system is running out of fuel "sometimes".

Can you be more specific with regards to when it happens? And include every possible detail you can think of? What gear, how steep is the hill, how much are you pressing on the gas pedal, anything.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:40 PM

Logically, either the ignitor is getting improper signals and is firing sparkplugs when it shouldn't, the ECU is sending faulty ignition signals to the igniter, or your injection system is running out of fuel "sometimes".

Can you be more specific with regards to when it happens? And include every possible detail you can think of? What gear, how steep is the hill, how much are you pressing on the gas pedal, anything.
Ok I will be as specific as I can it is hard to explain ok it rarely does it just driving down the road now last night it was snowing so I locked in my hubs and was just driving in 2 wheel drive and just playin around and it seems when it starts spinning pedal about normal about half way down in 3rd at the time going up a hill and without the hubs in it has not smoked on this hill before but I had them locked in and going up but as soon as it made that sound it lost power and bogged down and I shifted to 2nd and it was still smoking and making that sound then it cleared up and then I went on a road and put it in 4wheel drive and about half throttle going up a slight hill it started doing it again and if I give it full throttle or let off the gas it smokes and then it stops when it wants and runs fine I was looking at it today and the injectors look alittle wet around the them not bad just notice it is there something maybe not hooked up or should I adjust the timing and see if that is it or maybe try to get another computer or reset it and see if that helps? Anything that you can think of for me to try I will do
Old 01-08-2010, 04:41 PM

it seems like it is using more fuel than it normal would I think