Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Intermittent grinding from front right :S

Old 10-12-2012, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent grinding from front right :S

Need some educated help here guys. Ive gotten only vague ideas from my research but nothing seems to be quite the same.

I put warn premium manual hubs on about 4 months ago. Everything was solid until about a month ago when I started getting an intermittent grinding sound from the front right corner. Over the past month it is gradually becoming more frequent and seems to be active only when the road is sufficiently bumpy (started with every so often on gravel roads to now is constant on gravel roads and happens on bad city roads as well now). Recently I discovered that the sound stops when the hubs are engaged and returns when disengaged and put back in 2wd.

I've been reading about spindle bearings and partial disengagement but I haven't really found any solid answers or reasons yet.

I had the front end inspected because I recently rebuilt it (ball joints, tie rods) and the mechanic said all seems good up front including the wheel bearings.

Would love some input here guys, I'm a little stuck and the sound that it is making doesn't not seem healthy so I want to tackle this quick.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:59 PM

It's must be your spindles they "float" inside a metal bushing (brass I think) they need grease and if they are not lubricated properly they can get really loud, like holysh@# my wheel it's gonna come of! kind of loud.

this is a great idea about how to grease them
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ctures-100327/
Old 10-12-2012, 06:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What hiGis said. There is a bushing inside that needs the bejeesus greased out of it, otherwise it makes a terrible sound.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:02 PM

I was looking at the tool thyat is talked about on here to make lubricating easier and I don't think I will be able to fab one of those things up. I read on toyotanation about a guy who's use a grease needle injector. Has anybody had any experience with this? Seems like you may be able to get the needle Inbetween the splines and apply that way.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:48 PM

Dudes! HELP. I took my 4runner to a mechanic to grease my spindle bushings (for a few cases of beer ) and he called back saying this isnt the problem. He is saying something about engagement in the differential itself, not the unlubricated spindle bushing. I do not know if he is right because, in 2wd, when it makes the noise, the hubs are manually locked and there should be no movement of the differential. The noise is distinctly front right, only in 2wd and occurs when the right front hits a bump.

Do you guys think he is on to something or is he just not...in the know lol. If so, have you guys heard of a differential problem that causes grinding noise from the front right when hitting a bump in 2wd? <---that sounded ridiculous as i wrote it haha.

Cheers
kael
Old 10-22-2012, 01:02 PM

I should definitely mention that i swapped in 4.88 third members in from a v6 about 4 months ago. No noise when i first put it in, i had it in 2wd and 4wd on many bumpy roads before it started to happen.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:30 PM

Anything could help fellas, even a "he doesn't know what he is talking about" is worth something. gotta call him back with a decision.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:35 PM

I really don't think he is right. Did he disamble it and found something wroken? If he is "just saying" I would take it home and try to grease the spindles by myself.

You should go and buy a 54mm socket so you can do the job yourself it is not difficult at all !

and the needle should work to!

good luck!

(sorry if I have grammar issues! this is not my first language)
Old 10-22-2012, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the reply, he did not take it apart, he just didn't think what i said was correct. I guess i will do it myself, my only problem was that i work full time and go to school full time, so i am BUSY.
appreciate your help hiGis, i owe you one!

kael
Old 11-13-2012, 08:35 AM

Update!

Took apart my hub, warn premiums, and found that the axle nut had completely come off and was "floating" the the hub itself. Surely where my intermittent grinding was coming from. I greased up both spindles anyways though, and I must say. It is feeling very smooth upfront. Highly recommend this as a Maintenance job if you have the tool. I'm very pleased!
The yota will live on to see another fishing trip! Whoop
Old 11-13-2012, 12:08 PM

that's great man! I'm happy I could spare you the anger of getting f#$%ed by a mechanich with bad intentions.

the first time I heard that noise I got really scared. here in mexico there aren't mechanichs who know what they are doing with this trucks cuse they are all imported.

so took it to a "4x4" mechanic and he stole me about $300 bucks.

now I can do it by myself and it's great to help someone else
Old 11-14-2012, 10:05 AM

Yup such a relief to have avoided the mechanic. Thanks again!
Old 11-15-2012, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by hiGis
It's must be your spindles they "float" inside a metal bushing (brass I think) they need grease and if they are not lubricated properly they can get really loud, like holysh@# my wheel it's gonna come of! kind of loud.

this is a great idea about how to grease them
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ctures-100327/
When you say "float" how much do the float? I can grab my drivers side cv axle near the hub where they enter and move it around probably a 1/2" in all directions. Mine is making that holysh@# my wheel is gonna fall off noise!!
Old 11-15-2012, 11:13 PM

I think half an inch it's to much, they really just have some play, if they are greased properly they hardly move.

if you can, you should take the cv out and see how the brass bushing is.

it won't be hard to tell if the bushing or the cv are fu#$ed where they touch each other

maybe start a tread and upload some pictures??

good luck
Old 11-16-2012, 09:45 AM

After closer inspection I can actually only move it maybe a 1/4" in any direction. So I built the PVC spline bushing greaser and pumped some grease to it. I don't think I got enough grease into it but my greaser gasket couldn't hold back enough. I did get some into it and it definitely made it a bunch better. Still more wobble then the other side has though. I am going to remove the CV axle anyways and have a closer look.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:09 PM

hmmm 1/4" maybe isn't that bad
if you couldn't get enough grease in there maybe you should go ahead and disasemble it
once you check everything is ok (I think it should) you can easily get crazy with the grease

good luck!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:28 PM

Hey 4thehunt, sorry to hear you are having this problem, or sometbing similar at least. It's a terrible noise to have to deal with while troubleshooting it.

I pumped grease until the grease itself was pushing the axle back towards the engine and I could see that it had evenly come out the otherside. Once I had done that, it was Alittle tough to get the axle back out far enough, due to the presence of the new grease. A lot of twisting and squishing grease out and around the axle shaft(by movin it put and down and in and out) it finally got it far enough out. I say this though because it shows that there was enough play to move it up and down slightly, but really not very much.
I would pump those babies full and if that doesn't tighten everything up, maybe consider new brass spindle bushings.

Cheers, good luck
Kael
Old 11-16-2012, 04:36 PM

I forgot to mention the trick I used to get it out far enough to seat the C clip again:

grab a socket, a big one that can be placed over the spindle to make it seat on the hub,
then get a 12mm long bolt and using a good washer (a thick one that can handle the presion) start screwing the bolt on to the spindle seating the washer on the socket so it pulls the spindle out until you hear the C clip "click"

works like a champ
Old 11-16-2012, 07:19 PM

Gold Jerry, gold! (Seinfeld?)

That is guna be very handy the next time I've got this stuff apart, hopefully never?!?
Old 11-16-2012, 09:46 PM

hahahaha you wish! every few months or less if you wheel it on mud, dirt, wather, etc
I live close to the border (south of texas) damn that thing gets dry in a few weaks, hate it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intermittent grinding from front right :S