Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Intermittent check engine light and engine dying

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent check engine light and engine dying

I recently bought a 1990 4runner with the 3.0 manual and 4wd. The truck has 195k on it but is in fairly good shape. Recently the check engine light has been coming on and off and then the other day as I was approaching an intersection it died. i'll try and recount the events that lead to this happening

This first happened as I was trying to roll through a light in 2nd gear and I let the rpms get too low which caused it to stall. As I approached the second light the rpms dropped and it finally died at the light. After pushing the truck through the intersection and letting it sit for a minute it fired right back up and I drove home.

Thinking my problem was solved I drove to school the next morning with no problems only to have nearly the same thing happen on the way home. As I was making a turn on a side street the rpms dropped and the truck died again, this time while it was in motion but without the gas pedal being depressed. Again I let it sit for a minute and it fired up. I drove it approx. a quarter mile down that road and as I was coming to another light it died again. I make it home after that, and now an't seem to get the check engine light to come back on so that I can read the code.

Sorry for the lengthy first post but I would appreciate any help that y'all can give me on this.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you determine what engine code it is? It's stored on the ECU/ECM unless you cleared the code by pulling the fuse or battery terminal.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:36 AM

The air flow sensor might be faulty. I'd suggest readin' out the codes of the diagnostic system and see what it comes up with.
Also, there might be some leak on the air intake to the engine after the air flow sensor...
I'd suggest take a look at that.

You might wanna check this link: http://forums.bauchan.org/portal/downloads.php?dcid=17 if you don't have an service manual for it.

Last edited by ulfr; 05-06-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:41 AM

Thanks for the quick replies. I tried to check the codes but when I opened thr diagnostic port to "jump" the B+ Fp it was filled with a type of tannish colored paste. I thought it might be a type of contact coating but am not sure. I used a paper clip to connect them but he check engine light does not flash.

Thanks for the link. I have the fsm downloaded and found a website that deals with reading the codes but can't get it to display the codes. I might have to try and use and spare piece of wire with a couple blade style connectors to ensure that I'm getting good contact.

Last edited by Axe 'Em; 05-06-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Axe 'Em
Thanks for the quick replies. I tried to check the codes but when I opened thr diagnostic port to "jump" the B+ Fp it was filled with a type of tannish colored paste. I thought it might be a type of contact coating but am not sure. I used a paper clip to connect them but he check engine light does not flash.
That "tannish paste" would be like a di-eletric grease in a sense. Just protects the terminals from corrosion and moisture.

You are on the wrong terminals TE1 +E1 is what you want I believe.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:53 AM

Looks like you are right boostinchick. I should have read a little further down the page and I would have seen that you jump terminals T and E1 or T and TE1. Thanks for the clarification on the paste, I figured that is was it was but this runner has been everywhere so I wasn't sure. I'll have to try the diagnostic "tool" again when I get home.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:55 AM

Good deal glad you figured that part out. And to think, that's the easy part! Hopefully your CEL is as easy!