Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Intermitent Charge/Brake warning light

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermitent Charge/Brake warning light

Ok so I have a 1988 4 runner with a 22-REC. I have been having an intermitent charging problem. My charge(batt.) light and Brake (e brake light) will both come on at the same time when this happens I am not charging. Sometimes it will light up right when I start the truck other times it will be while I am driving. It will clear up sometimes while I am driving and sometimes it wont.
I am pretty sure there is a short somewhere, has anybody had this happen to them?any ideas as to where I should look for the short first? Secondly is it common for the ebrake light to light up when the alternator fails?
Thank you in advance
Old 05-14-2010, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

I think the most recommended thing is to REPLACE the brushes in the ALT.

A fairly easy job just a bit of a hassle.

I think crawler sells some and has a very detailed write up on how to.

Repo
Old 05-14-2010, 07:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it could be a ground issue at your alt. but that usually doesn't just "occur". but alt failure does occur when it wears out over time.

head into an auto parts store and have them test that alt for free. if it's bad, rebuild that alt. last one i sent out cost $80 to re-do. and i know it won't fail in a year like an autozone part. or of course, you can DIY like Hil suggested.

and yes, other "idiot" lights will come on with the ALT light to catch your attention. usually the brake lite. (in my LS400 it was the low coolant light. ?)

good luck
Tj
Old 05-14-2010, 08:43 AM

I am really leaning towards a short...I have never seen an alt. stop and start working so many times. 15 + plus times it has gone out only to start charging again.and thx for the replies.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:47 AM

check the connection on the back of the alt. its a big plastic clip, i have bumped mine working near it and it loosened it up enough to make the alt not work and the lights turn on.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:47 AM

One more vote for brushes. Get a new set, its good to have for spares anyway.
It's an easy 1 bannana job.

Last edited by thefreqofnature; 05-14-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:22 PM

Kanyonkritter my 90 4Runner alternator took 6 months to completely die.It started in december bitter cold temps,brake/battery lights came on,new battery wouldnt charge.After warming up lights went off and volts on gauge shot up.Steadily got worse blinking on and off,some days alt. would charge some days it wouldnt.Last two weeks it refused to charge and lights stayed on all the time.I went to orielly and autozone both confirmed it was dead.Bought reman. Duralast with lifetime warranty for 140$ yesterday,installed it myself.Now it charges perfect lights havent come on.Ive already driven 125 miles.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:36 AM

i had same issue... i changed the alternator and it fixed it.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:02 PM

Have 86 22RET with Alt, Brake and Turbo lights on. Suspect same issue. Took noisy alt in and except for bad bearing tested OK. Bought replacement but still have lights issue. Have pulled all fuses and cannot find any issue. Some other reading seems to logically point to a shared ckt issue and now thinking it is a poor ground. Have a typical wiring diagram but ommitted block right in middle of the connect between all lights is undefined. Wondering if anyone has a specific wiring dia? Will try to post any soln. thx
Old 01-12-2011, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure your battery terminals are clean and your connections are secure. That's a cheap fix and has worked for me before.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dog812
i had same issue... i changed the alternator and it fixed it.
x2, it happened to me also, the lights would come on for a split second every now and then, then after a while it got worse then the lights were on all the time, and i had to charge my truck every day and let it run off the battery. just changed my alt the other day and now no problem at all
Old 05-28-2011, 05:19 PM

The advice seems right in line with what I've been going through I'm throwing a new alternator in tomorrow, will let you all know what happens.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine seem to flicker when my brake fluid is low in the master cylinder resivor.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:04 PM

Had the same issue. The wire harness on the back of the alt was nasty. Frayed wires touching the side of the block shorting out. You can extract the wires and recreimp them and basically rebuild the harness. Pretty easy once you get it out. Also worth having the alt tested once pulled.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:30 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I had this too, besides the alternator which would not be out of line to recommend, in my case it was the 7.5 amp???? charge fuse under the hood starting to go out.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:28 PM

brake and charge light off

Topped off brake fluid, put in re-manufactured alternator. Problem solved. Now I'm going to wait for my hybrid rebuild kit to arrive...I wish...
Old 04-18-2012, 07:27 AM

ok so the same problem is back......I never did change the alt. and honestly cant remember what I did to fix it. Its a little different now though. At idle the warning lights are not on slightly above idle the lights come on and stays light through the whole RPM range but the alt. is charging my battery.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:03 AM

Replace the brushes. About $15 at the dealership for the brush/holder assembly (easy swap), or about $5 for the brushes alone (requires soldering).
Old 09-17-2012, 03:51 AM

battery and brake light problem

Had the same problem with battery and brake light coming on, every couple of months. When it would come on, that would let me know that the next time I tried to start the truck, I would need a jump. Changed battery, alternator, coil, ignition module, fuses, fuse relays, replaced alternator plug, still did not fix the problem. I finally took it to an auto electrical shop and $400 later for that visit. It turned out according to them, and so far they are correct, was just a matter of wrong size battery frying out the alternator.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:04 AM

The issue I was having with mine is just about the same. It's an 84 however. Charge light intermittently going on and off. Fired off the parts canon early since in my previous experiences it had been the alternator. Well, got the new to me/rebuilt alternator installed and the problem persisted. Started checking the proper wires like I was instructed on this fine site and found that the wires going into the regulator were loosened somehow. If I'd cram them up into the regulator, the alternator would start charging. Bought a new regulator and the problem went away for a few weeks.
Now my issue is that immediately after start up, the charge/brake light comes on and stays on until the engine warms up. Charge light goes off for a few seconds, comes on for a few seconds, then goes off and stays off for the rest of the day no matter how many times I shut off and restart engine.
The next day I go through the same cycle again like freakin' Groundhog Day.
Have the day off today so I'm gonna look into it further.
Not sure if your regulator setup is the same as mine but I'd check the voltage on the wires going in and coming out to see if you are having the same issue.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Intermitent Charge/Brake warning light