86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Interior swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interior swap

So the last about year ive been gathering parts to swap out old crusty bench seat that is in my truck and put in sr5/4runner seats. Also planned on taking the dirty and stained plastic/vinyl flooring out and put carpet in. Started thinking about it and i was only missing a center console, so what the hell, why not a 4 runner center console.

Today it was raining, no one wanted to go hunting and i had nothing else planned so i said what the hell and started this "transformation"

This is how its looked the last 2 years since i got the truck, i call it the old man seat cover cause you tend to see these on old fords and stuff.

So here goes the first step, hey i figured out why this thing has not ever been removed since i got the truck.

Two years of nastyness, yes i have no ever vaccuumed this thing. I drive about 80 miles a day so well what do you expect.

More nastyness..... Blah.

Seat removed. Lots more of nastyness.

Half the flooring removed

Completly removed. That stuff was such a bad idea by toyota.

Took this picture not to show off the nastyness but to show the 4 holes for the center console. Must be like this on all the toyota trucks/ 4 runners of this gen

Carpet installed, Wanted to install black but i didnt want to pay full price for new and this is all i could find at the yards.

More of the carpet installed. Im really liking this.

Forgot to take the pictures untill i got to this point.
Really really liking the outcome.

Took this picture to give people ideas on how to make there toyota aftermarket switch
es look oem.

This is my last project, the switch on the center console is going to control the fogs, Didnt get time to wire it today, was to wet to crawl under my truck
Would of did a build up on it but it took 4 months longer then i wanted it to take.

Anyways the interior swap took about 5 hours, mostly cause i kept stopping when the rain came and looking for tools. The seats fit great the only thing i had to change was i had to add new nuts and bolts to the mount that is closer to the middle hump. Any questions ask away and thanks for looking.

Last edited by TylerH; 10-05-2011 at 08:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
out_wheelin (01-26-2021)
Old 10-05-2011, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
now you should paint the plastic on your stearing colum cause it looks pretty weathered
Old 10-05-2011, 10:03 PM

The new seats, carpet and center box look much better than the old interior. Good job! Now you are aware that you will HAVE to vacuum/shampoo the interior once in a while to keep it looking good. You can't eat/drink and track dirt in it everytime you get in and not clean up at least every few months.

+1 on painting the column.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:14 PM

you could also do a SR5 cluster swap to get rid of that tach that is mounted your dash.
if you have SR5 seats you might as well get the cluster to match

(that is if you like that tach)
Old 10-05-2011, 11:05 PM

Nice job man! I really like it.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by JDOGG
you could also do a SR5 cluster swap to get rid of that tach that is mounted your dash.
if you have SR5 seats you might as well get the cluster to match

(that is if you like that tach)

Thanks for the comments everyone. No i dont really like the tach. It blocks most of the viewing of the speedometer. I had a smaller one in but it guit working so i thought it was the tach and purchased this one. After installing it i relized it was the wiring. O well. I may just replace the cluster and put in a SR-5 cluster. I havent did it because i could never find one with less then 150k on it. And i wanted the miledges to be close. But im around 175k now so i guess thats not an issue.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks awesome! Can't wait to do this to my pickup!
Old 10-06-2011, 06:55 PM

Yea hit me up if you have any questions. My advice would be spray some pb blaster on the bolts before removal cause they like to strip, and buy a 10mm 1.5 pitch tap so if things go bad. I had to touch up one, and another stripped but it held a torque so the hell with it.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:58 AM

Very nice install on the switch. How's the new seat feel? More comfortable? Was it worth the time and effort? Looks like it, good job.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:39 AM

nice work man!

why didn't you swap the seats though? put the torn outer edge of the driver's seat to be the inner edge of the passenger's seat? it should keep it from getting worse.

i don't know if your seat frames are different left to right in a pickup. mine are in the 2dr 4Runner, so i swapped the cushions alone, but it made a big difference...until i swapped my grey DLX interior for a tan SR5 one.

remove the trim and 4 bolts hold that bottom cushion. i've done it to the tan seats too, and didn't even remove the seats from the truck to do it. just something to consider.

great work with the carpet! looks like a new truck!
Old 10-07-2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by TylerH
Thanks for the comments everyone. No i dont really like the tach. It blocks most of the viewing of the speedometer. I had a smaller one in but it guit working so i thought it was the tach and purchased this one. After installing it i relized it was the wiring. O well. I may just replace the cluster and put in a SR-5 cluster. I havent did it because i could never find one with less then 150k on it. And i wanted the miledges to be close. But im around 175k now so i guess thats not an issue.
You can change the mileage on the OD but you have to be careful with the springs.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:43 AM

Changing the mileage on a full gauge cluster is easy to do, check out my build, I did an instruction on how to do it and had it done in less than an hour, be sure to change oil pressure sending unit to the gauge one like the one in my build thread, I got the cluster from a 22R-E equipped wreaked 2wd and didn't have to adjust the tach adjustment pod, If you do a cluster swap be sure to test the lights in the cluster at night before you button the dash up, I forgot too and one was not working and had to take dash apart to change one bulb! :}LOL
Since yours is a 92 and the 2wd was a 92 I got mine from I bet yours is a plug and play cluster also, one of the best thing ever getting rid of speedo cables!!!! Plug and play clusters like I have in the toy I also had in my old XJ are sweet!!!! Plus your getting the oil pressure gauge and also a Battery/alternator gauge and the tach all in one, PO on mine had a tach mounted like yours and has 2 holes in the cover, it's on my used parts list to get to replace with one without holes :}

If you get a full cluster and engine still in it at a PnP yard, grab the gauge sender on the block if it's there :}
Old 10-07-2011, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Hotrodder
Very nice install on the switch. How's the new seat feel? More comfortable? Was it worth the time and effort? Looks like it, good job.

New seats are awsome, i like it cause i do alot of heavy lifting at work and this really makes my back feel alot more comfortable. I sit up higher which took about twenty minutes to get use to but i like it. I would really recomend doing this if you can live without the option of riding 3.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
nice work man!

why didn't you swap the seats though? put the torn outer edge of the driver's seat to be the inner edge of the passenger's seat? it should keep it from getting worse.

i don't know if your seat frames are different left to right in a pickup. mine are in the 2dr 4Runner, so i swapped the cushions alone, but it made a big difference...until i swapped my grey DLX interior for a tan SR5 one.

remove the trim and 4 bolts hold that bottom cushion. i've done it to the tan seats too, and didn't even remove the seats from the truck to do it. just something to consider.

great work with the carpet! looks like a new truck!
I didnt swap the seat because i never thought of it. lol. I have a spare passenger seat in my closet that i bought but the frame was tweaked so i could always steal that seat skin. I also plan on buying some seat covers so that little rip dosent bother me to much. Cabelas has great grey bucket seat covers for around $50 so thats the ones ill probly get.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by john4wd
Changing the mileage on a full gauge cluster is easy to do, check out my build, I did an instruction on how to do it and had it done in less than an hour, be sure to change oil pressure sending unit to the gauge one like the one in my build thread, I got the cluster from a 22R-E equipped wreaked 2wd and didn't have to adjust the tach adjustment pod, If you do a cluster swap be sure to test the lights in the cluster at night before you button the dash up, I forgot too and one was not working and had to take dash apart to change one bulb! :}LOL
Since yours is a 92 and the 2wd was a 92 I got mine from I bet yours is a plug and play cluster also, one of the best thing ever getting rid of speedo cables!!!! Plug and play clusters like I have in the toy I also had in my old XJ are sweet!!!! Plus your getting the oil pressure gauge and also a Battery/alternator gauge and the tach all in one, PO on mine had a tach mounted like yours and has 2 holes in the cover, it's on my used parts list to get to replace with one without holes :}

If you get a full cluster and engine still in it at a PnP yard, grab the gauge sender on the block if it's there :}
Your really talking me into it. I really hate dash work but i may add this to my to-do list. I think my cluster is electric, when i was working under it a few weeks ago i didnt see a cable, just lots of electrical plugs.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:37 PM

If you have any questions on the cluster sawp and odo mileage adjustment give me a shout, best to get a cluster from a 92 and up with a 22R-E so you don't have to adjust the tach. Good Luck & Have Fun!!!!

Ps. Put in the bigger gauge sending unit on the block before you do put in a full gauge cluster, You'll fry the oil pressure gauge on the new used cluster if you hook it up to the warning light sending unit you have for the idiot light cluster on the engine now...

Last edited by john4wd; 10-07-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by TylerH
I didnt swap the seat because i never thought of it. lol. I have a spare passenger seat in my closet that i bought but the frame was tweaked so i could always steal that seat skin. I also plan on buying some seat covers so that little rip dosent bother me to much. Cabelas has great grey bucket seat covers for around $50 so thats the ones ill probly get.
well that's a damn good reason! haha

hey here's a link to the thread i made for swapping cushions, maybe handy for looking at the pics; and someone commented with a link to another similar thread in there too.

it's definitely easier to swap the whole cushion rather than just the skin, if you can do so.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...lowout-197647/
Old 10-12-2011, 04:28 PM

Looks great! I love doing seat swaps. Makes it feel like your driving a whole new vehicle
Old 10-12-2011, 04:31 PM

double thumbs up on the interior swap! looks great, been thinking of doing the same to mine but havent had time or cash to
Old 10-12-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by drmix
Looks great! I love doing seat swaps. Makes it feel like your driving a whole new vehicle

It really does, im regreting not doing this a long time ago. The carpet really kills some of the road noise and helps hide the exhaust leak.

Quick Reply: Interior swap