Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Interesting.. 22RE fatal symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting.. 22RE fatal symptoms

I finally got the old motor out of the 4runner, i am in the process of transferring over all the parts from old to new. I was turning the crank on the motor and i could hear something clicking and making a noise that would ahve been exactly what i was hearing when the motor was turning, so this makes me believe it isnt the main bearings gone bad. BUT i did find something interesting. I pulled off the crank pulley. I recently repalced the timnig belt about 3-4 months ago. Well the speedy sleeve on pully was chewed up real bad. and actually cracked part of the lip. I am not sure why this happened but i wonder if it was part of my issues with the motor.

So now I need another speedy sleeve.
Anyoen have a part nubemr handy so i can jsut go for the part. The advanced auto people looked at me odd when i asked for a speedy sleeve
Old 04-27-2008, 09:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am swapping an engine at this moment as well. Advance doesnt sell what you really want. the REAL speedy sleeve comes from CarQuest around here (Atlanta). Hold out for the real deal, the other ones are weird.
side note on after market crap....
The other day I discovered i had a bad motor mount.... and the only place with one in stock was AutoZone. I brought that thing back home and the engine wouldnt even go IN the truck, the holes would not line up. I examined it closer, and it looked like the toolmaker used flint tools and had his eyes crossed when they made the mold. I have never been sold such awful cheap Chinese CRAP as this time around. The old one is going back in, until i can find a pull from the junkyard.

Originally Posted by DanStew
I finally got the old motor out of the 4runner, i am in the process of transferring over all the parts from old to new. I was turning the crank on the motor and i could hear something clicking and making a noise that would ahve been exactly what i was hearing when the motor was turning, so this makes me believe it isnt the main bearings gone bad. BUT i did find something interesting. I pulled off the crank pulley. I recently repalced the timnig belt about 3-4 months ago. Well the speedy sleeve on pully was chewed up real bad. and actually cracked part of the lip. I am not sure why this happened but i wonder if it was part of my issues with the motor.

So now I need another speedy sleeve.
Anyoen have a part nubemr handy so i can jsut go for the part. The advanced auto people looked at me odd when i asked for a speedy sleeve
Old 04-27-2008, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here are some pics of the sleeve damage.
It isnt around the entire sleeve, just real bad in one side.

Also i am curious if this bend in the real lip of the pully (bottom left corner) would throw it out of balance. But even if it did, i dont think the crank would flex that much to cause it to be out of balance.

Thanks for the tip on the brand of sleeves, i will try and find a carquest around here.