Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

installing back seat in an 87 4runner with the rear seat delete

Old 01-18-2013, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question installing back seat in an 87 4runner with the rear seat delete

Hi everyone I am new here and I'm looking for some help. I just bought an 87 runner that didn't have the back seat. I just thought it got taken out and lost somehow but looking thru the forums it looks like i have the rear seat delete option. Of course I got the seat thru a local salvage yard that had to get it from elsewhere. When I told them it had no seat at all I guess i assumed it would come with hardware and what was needed to make it a whole seat . All it has are the brackets on the bottom of the seat cushions. The back rest has nothing, not even the backing plate or panel its just open and exposed. I can build a panel for that but I'm wondering what hardware I'm going to need to mount them and if there is anywhere besides the salvage yard that I can get what I need since they didn't get me the right stuff in the first place! Looking for cheap tho because I paid more then I should have considering they were missing all of that! I will also be looking to sell the delete panel once I have my seat installed!
Old 01-18-2013, 08:08 PM

if i remember they should have mounts at the bottom so they fold forward, and they latch on to a pin on the sides to lock into the upright position. not sure where you can get that hardware. maybe at the dealer!!
Old 01-18-2013, 08:11 PM

Ya that's what I thought but I don't think the pins are there for them to latch onto. It's currently stored elsewhere because I don't have my license back yet so its staying there til I do but ill have to see if the pins are there but I think all of that is gone. I guess it would be nice to see what it should look like then that would make it easier.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:42 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by kinsey.clay
Ya that's what I thought but I don't think the pins are there for them to latch onto. It's currently stored elsewhere because I don't have my license back yet so its staying there til I do but ill have to see if the pins are there but I think all of that is gone. I guess it would be nice to see what it should look like then that would make it easier.
Hinges, upper pins, and mounting bolts. The rear covers are part of the storage area carpet.

the upullandpay (Hwy 36 and broadway, down in denver) should have what you need and be very cheap. If they don't have everything there is yotayard (IIRC that is off broadway and I-70), just down the road abit, they'll also do shipping IIRC.

You maybe missing the body panel reinforcments also, in which case you can pick up nuts and fender washers at your local hardware store once you have the bolts in had (I don't remeber the size, they'll be medium or fine thread metric.)

Oh and seat belts..
Old 01-19-2013, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Hinges, upper pins, and mounting bolts. The rear covers are part of the storage area carpet.

the upullandpay (Hwy 36 and broadway, down in denver) should have what you need and be very cheap. If they don't have everything there is yotayard (IIRC that is off broadway and I-70), just down the road abit, they'll also do shipping IIRC.

You maybe missing the body panel reinforcments also, in which case you can pick up nuts and fender washers at your local hardware store once you have the bolts in had (I don't remeber the size, they'll be medium or fine thread metric.)

Oh and seat belts..
Thanks so much for the info. I'll check into those places! Ya seatbelts are a whole different project. I'll do them eventually just probably not right away unless I find them at a reasonable price when I'm getting the hardware!
Old 01-19-2013, 03:57 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
I might be interested in the seat delete panel
let me know when your ready to sell

Old 01-19-2013, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by slacker
I might be interested in the seat delete panel
let me know when your ready to sell

Will do!! Prolly won't be til the beginning of march cuz I move then so I'm prolly gonna leave them out til then,make my move easier, but I will let you know!
Old 01-21-2013, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Mine came without the backseat as well. On the back of the rear plastic panels there is a mark on where to cut out the hole for the top rear seat latch. They are some U shaped latches. The oval on the back of the panel is at about a 45 degree angle.

I got my bottom hinges from the boneyard. All of the bolt holes are there. You are also going to have to get rear seat belts. That is actually something I am having a hard time finding.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Mine came without the backseat as well. On the back of the rear plastic panels there is a mark on where to cut out the hole for the top rear seat latch. They are some U shaped latches. The oval on the back of the panel is at about a 45 degree angle.

I got my bottom hinges from the boneyard. All of the bolt holes are there. You are also going to have to get rear seat belts. That is actually something I am having a hard time finding.
Awesome thanks for all the info! Very helpful! Did u sell the delete panel?
Old 01-21-2013, 05:29 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by kinsey.clay
Will do!! Prolly won't be til the beginning of march cuz I move then so I'm prolly gonna leave them out til then,make my move easier, but I will let you know!
Thanks .. you can PM me when your ready to sell
Corey

Old 04-12-2013, 06:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I found this thread while looking for a seat delete panel. If you decide to sell, and Corey passes, please send me a PM. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:27 PM

Hi guys, sorry I've been meaning to get back to Corey but I actually still havent pur my Arafat in, I have seatblts now but missing the hardware I still need but I used my truck to move and the panel made it so great, I don't think I wanna part with it cuz I think it'll be handy to have around. Only thing I want bad enough is think about it is a bikini top, anyone have one interested in some trading I might. Otherwise gonna hold on to it! Sorry guys. I'll let ya know if I ever change my mind!