Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Installed tube doors on my 89 pickup from 4X innovations

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installed tube doors on my 89 pickup from 4X innovations

I was going to either take a set of full doors and turn them into half doors, or make my own tube doors. I was still pondering how I wanted to deal with the latch for the door, so it was a back burner project. And I had my FJ40 all set for a offroad event I am going to next week, till I bumped the clutch plate out of alignment and tried forcing the tranny back in.... Long story short, busted the clutch plate and decided to take the pickup rather then try to order all the parts and fix it with only 10 days left at the time.

So I took the $200 that a new clutch would have cost, and spent it on a set of tube doors for my truck I'll be ordering up the clutch and any other needed parts after this event, I don't want to be under a time restraint when it comes to putting it all back together. Adam was out of town for a few days this week, so my doors didn't get shipped out till Thursday, but thankfully they showed up today so I was able to take my time painting them, and fitting them to the truck. And of course after I painted them, I decided to weld some bolts to the top tube for mounting the mirrors.

I can't wait to get on the trails with the new doors

Old 07-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those look killer man! I have always loved the look of the tube doors.

I wish I could do that with my Taco!

Fink
Old 07-12-2008, 07:20 PM

Those look GOOD. I wonder if they'd be legel here in Wa???
Old 07-12-2008, 08:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
federal standards say they won't be legal in WA (or anywhere in the u.s.a. ... but that's for the local cops to decide).
Old 07-12-2008, 08:32 PM

Where'd the bumpers come from? Those are nice looking doors, they are one of my favorite style tube doors.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:49 PM

Thanks

Fink, if Adam could get a taco of your body style he could make them.

I did a lot of reading up on the legality of tube doors, and no doors. From what I gathered Jeeps can run without doors for two reasons. First they have a 5 inch lip at the door edge to prevent loose items from rolling out. Second they came from the factory with removable doors. I may add something under the tube doors, to keep items from getting out, but then again I doubt that I will use them very much on the road.

I built the front and rear bumpers my self.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:55 PM

dude hook me up with a set of bumpers like that. How much would it cost me?
Old 07-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Contributing Member

I've pondered tube doors for the summer heat here, and if I were to do so, I'd just get some diamond plating and close off the bottom from the bottom tube to the floor.

Those look great.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:04 PM

Used a friends tubing bender, there are vendors making bumpers similar in design though. I looked at many of the available bumpers and took inspiration from the ones I liked. I had to weld in a 1/4 plate to the front of my cross member, as the nut inserts were rusted out. So the bumpers out there would not bolt up to my truck. And the rear bumper, I bobbed my bed, and frame. So I could not bolt up a marlin bumper.

For the doors, I might cut some cardboard templates and have a local guy some some plates on a cnc plasma table. I could have him cut them out of 1/8 steel and weld them directly to the lower tubes.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:16 PM

if I may suggest- 1/8" aluminum diamond plate for the lower section- between the bottom tube and from the bottom hinge, down along the door sill and up to the door catch, so it fills in the gap from the tube to the door sill. 1/4" round bar could serve as the frame of the door from the hinge down and around the door sill and up to the latch.
I can picture it, just don't know if I can describe it.

Last edited by abecedarian; 07-12-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by a4runnerfreak
Those look GOOD. I wonder if they'd be legel here in Wa???
I am wondering the same thing since I have a set sitting in the garage waiting for my truck to come home next week!
Old 07-12-2008, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by seafarinman
I am wondering the same thing since I have a set sitting in the garage waiting for my truck to come home next week!
Originally Posted by abecedarian
federal standards say they won't be legal in WA (or anywhere in the u.s.a. ... but that's for the local cops to decide).
I really hate quoting myself, myself.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
I really hate quoting myself, myself.
Yeah I guess that my bumpers are not exactly legal here anyway but I haven't had issue yet. I even had a police officer come along side me at a stop light and ask if they make them for Jeeps as well! I told him no, and we went our merry ways. I don't know whether I want to test that for the tube doors as well though.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:22 AM

lol. no cool bumper for jeeps!!!
and if I came across as snooty, sorry, I was tired.
but yeah, I guess it's not something the cops are out looking for, but if they wanted to be spiteful for whatever reason, I'm sure they'd have no problem writing em up.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
WOW! Those doors look really good and I've got to tell you that your front bumper is exactly what I'd like to have on mine. I just never did like the look of a stinger.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:24 PM

These guys had a bumper that inspired my design the most, looks like they closed up shop though.

http://www.bigrocksoffroad.com/images/big%20006.jpg

I finally got the 4xinnovation hinges working how I want them to. I ended up drilling out all the hinges to 5/16, then I hit a huge road block. The larger pins did not fit, as the heads were to large to fit past the bolt heads. Thankfully I only drilled out the passenger side, so I ran the stock hinges for another day until I could tackle the problem. I ended up buying some clasp pins, with cross holes every 1/4". Unfortunately they were 1/2" short, so I ended up cutting them down, and planned on using 2 per hinge.

Once all the pins were cut, and the hinges drilled out I fit the tube doors, then the hard doors. I am able to get 1 pin per hinge in without a problem, but the second pin does not want to line up very well. I think when I opened up the holes, I did not keep them dead center. So on the tube doors, I used the dremel to bore line up the lower hinges to work. I might do this on the hard doors after this wheeling trip this weekend, but I feel they are very solid even with only 1 pin per hinge.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:20 PM

very nice!! Where Can I find some for my 1990 4runner!
Old 07-15-2008, 09:27 AM

I would agree that Adam at 4xinnovations does great work. I love my front bumper.

Last edited by racedirt1; 07-19-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:27 PM

Etype R , what size tires do you have, 33"s? I didnt know that 33's could fit on SR5 wheels(15x7)?
Old 07-15-2008, 12:40 PM

33x12.5's, which I bought already mounted on the rims. They seem to be wearing just fine, though I prefer a 8 inch rim for a 12.5" wide tire.

Quick Reply: Installed tube doors on my 89 pickup from 4X innovations