Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

is input noise common?

Old 07-02-2008, 07:59 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
is input noise common?

ok guys...
so i've had my pickup for over a year and when i got it it was making severe input shaft/bearing noise at idle and in all my gears. i eventually forked out $1500 and got a new tranny and clutch, etc. everything was fine with the new tranny for about a month and then i started getting input noise again at idle and 5th gear was making some buzzing noises. since i had just had the truck worked on, i took it back under warranty and they replaced the gear and possibly swapped the bearings and the truck was fine after that. it has now been 6 months or so since this has been done and now i find myself hearing input bearing noise again at idle as well as in the gears, mostly 5th since i'm in that gear the most when cruising on the hwy. i think i'm going to take it back to them since the tranny has a 1yr warranty.

so, with that said...how many of you guys with a 5spd are hearing some sort of input bearing noise? is this common? is it something to be worried about?
Old 07-02-2008, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think its common in all cars. but with mine it didnt start making any noise in any gear until i rolled it, then 5th made noise. then last october the input shaft started making noise. so i dunno.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:10 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Just out of curiousity, was the "new" tranny used/rebuilt? And, what kind of gear oil are you using?

In 220k miles, I've never had any tranny issues and still don't. I haul a lot of weight quite frequently.

Common? Not really with that transmission.....particularly at that frequency. Something to be worried about? Yes. I mean if it is the input bearing, it shouldn't make any noise if it's a good transmission or the job was done well. If it goes, you don't.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:12 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
@ ozzie...

Common in all cars? What do you mean by that exactly? I've never had that problem in any vehicle I've owned. Maybe your input shaft was bent slightly or the motor is out of alignment.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by thook
@ ozzie...

Common in all cars? What do you mean by that exactly? I've never had that problem in any vehicle I've owned. Maybe your input shaft was bent slightly or the motor is out of alignment.
well, every stick shift car has an input shaft bearing, and occasionally they ALL go out. im not meaning that its COMMON for them to go out a lot, but it is something that happens once in awhile
Old 07-02-2008, 11:15 AM

the tranny that was put in looks like a new tranny...definitely not the old one as this one is shiny aluminum and looks brand new on the exterior. i assume it could be a used core that has been stripped and had the guts replaced with new parts.

i know that when they replaced the tranny, they replaced the old input shaft because he told me it was chewed up and it was included in the quote. how would i be able to tell if the engine is out of alignment, and if so, what can i do about it? i have no idea what gear oil is in there...whatever the shop put in. haven't put more than 5k on the tranny, so haven't changed the oil yet.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine makes a bit of noise also, but it did from day one (Marlin Crawler HD rebuild). I figure if anything was wrong something would have happened while I was towing 3500 lbs cross country . . . .
Old 07-02-2008, 12:56 PM

ok, if i may ask a question. how does the type of oil you use have any effect on the input shaft bearing? isnt the ISB a self lubricating bearing? and as far as i know, there is no oil in the bellhousing, so it wouldnt be oiled anyway. thats my understanding of it. please correct me if im wrong.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had this problem with most of my Toy trucks. First was an 88 that I drove till it would not stay in gear (tore the hell out of the input bearing and gears).
Then I have put 2 trans in a 89 because of input bearing going, loud noise. Now another 89 that I have is getting loud, mostly in 5th. This is a weak spot for Toy trans IMHO. So re-cap, 2 W56's and 1 G58 with current G58 on its way out.

They must not get oiled properly being at the very top/front of the trans. Everything is splash lubricated. I always use the best synthetic oil now that I know this problem.

I have a good clutch alignment tool now

Last edited by Flash319; 07-02-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
ok, if i may ask a question. how does the type of oil you use have any effect on the input shaft bearing? isnt the ISB a self lubricating bearing? and as far as i know, there is no oil in the bellhousing, so it wouldnt be oiled anyway. thats my understanding of it. please correct me if im wrong.
you're probably thinking about the Throwout Bearing that releases the clutch . . . the input shaft bearing is internal to the transmission
Old 07-02-2008, 05:30 PM

the original shaft they pulled out had less teeth than that one! so is it low lubrication that will cause it to fail prematurely? maybe i should get some syth to put in there. also, are there HD input shaft bearings available that i can have the shop put in there?