Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Injectors clogged with rust and sediment. What next?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injectors clogged with rust and sediment. What next?

So I have had this 88 3VZE for less than a year. I don't know when the fuel filter was last changed. Got in a bit of an accident last week, slid across a bridge on glare ice and smacked the concrete guard rail. Still ran fine and minor body damage so drove it home. The next day I was out driving around and cyl 3 died. I could tell there was no gas hitting the plug, fuel pressure was within spec, so I pulled the fuel rail off and found this. Planning to send the injectors to Witch Hunter, just wondering what else I need to do. New fuel filter?

Last edited by Andrew Sandker; 12-21-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Start at the source. Your tank will look rusty but is just sediment build up. My guess is you jarred a ton of the gunk loose. On any of my builds, the fuel system is where I start as the tanks are usually nasty. It will look like rust but will clean up and not leave any pitting in the tank. You could replace the tank. May need to change the fuel pump or at least the sock at the end of the pump. I would also clean out your fuel rail and fuel lines.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:13 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
drain the tank. then pull the fuel pump and replace the sock on the end.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:16 PM

Thanks! I'm researching how to flush the lines and the tank. Gonna do the fuel filter too.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:29 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
just pull the fuel line and coil wire. out the fuel line into a small bottle and crank the motor 1 or 2 times. the fuel pump should clear the lines as long as theres fresh gas in the lines. that means you need to pull the armor off the gas tank and pull the drain plug. i used a rather large oil pan to catch the old fuel from my runner. but it splashed EVERYWHERE. use eye protection and be prepared for a mess. Of jack up the rear and drain it into a 5 gallon bucket.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After you finish cleaning the tank and put everything back together, jump your FP and B+ terminals on your diagnostic connector and turn the key to run but don't crank it. Let that fuel circulate for a while through your new fuel filter. Next, throw away that fuel filter and put another new on on before you call it finished. You don't necessarily have to do this but I'm a clean freak when it comes to my fluids. I guess you could get you a little inline fuel filter like you see on lawn mowers and outboard motors that's clear and plumb it into your return line off the pressure regulator for a little while. That would give you a good idea of what all was left in your system. I actually think I might do that to mine just to see what's in there.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Charchee
After you finish cleaning the tank and put everything back together, jump your FP and B+ terminals on your diagnostic connector and turn the key to run but don't crank it. Let that fuel circulate for a while through your new fuel filter. Next, throw away that fuel filter and put another new on on before you call it finished. You don't necessarily have to do this but I'm a clean freak when it comes to my fluids. I guess you could get you a little inline fuel filter like you see on lawn mowers and outboard motors that's clear and plumb it into your return line off the pressure regulator for a little while. That would give you a good idea of what all was left in your system. I actually think I might do that to mine just to see what's in there.
Hey now that's a genius idea!
Old 01-01-2017, 07:22 AM

Update, when I pulled my fuel pump I found that the fuel strainer had broken off. The tank looked clean, probably because all the sediment was in my rails and injectors. Cleaned injectors and rails, put a new filter and strainer on, and ran the fuel pump until it came out clean before I put the injectors back in. There was a ton of junk in there. Put it all back together and it's running like a dream! Thanks for the help, all.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:07 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Your impact knocked every thing loose that was between the filter and the injectors