Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

I'm stumped,

Old 04-15-2017, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm stumped,

my sons 94 pickup with 22r backfired through the exhaust and shut off,now we can't get it to run,have fuel,spark and air,pulled the cap and rotor is spinning,motor is not spinning live the valves are stuck as in a timing chain,getting code 42 vss circuit and code 43 starter signal circuit,tried searching and couldn't find a schematic of the 2 grey plug for the ecu...Any ideas??
Old 04-15-2017, 11:44 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
The distributor rotates via the gear on the front of the camshaft, so it's not a broken chain.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If the engine cranks and the distributor turns but the the rest of the Cam is not moving

Broken Cam??
Old 04-15-2017, 01:40 PM

Just pulled the valve cover off,cam is not broke,everything looks good and tight,even replaced the fuel pressure regulator and still nothing,what about the wires for the ecm or grounds,
Old 04-15-2017, 04:04 PM

Explain better what's going on. What happens exactly when you turn the key?
Old 04-16-2017, 02:52 AM

Turn the key and the motor turn over like normal but doesn't start,doesn't spin faster than normal like it jumped time or anything,I'm getting fire and fuel,got the codes 42,43 I seen where someone says check the sta wire but I can't find the diagram for the 2 plug ecm and not sure where the wire is at
Old 04-16-2017, 05:19 AM

It won't spin any faster necessarily just because it jumped time. you would have to pull the valve cover to check timing. And you don't need an ECU pinout. I'd start checking your relays if your getting a bad starter circuit code. But if it turns over but doesn't start that doesn't sound like a starter problem. How did you check that you had fuel. Hate to say it to but you need to search alittle more. I have a feeling you can find what you need through searching this forum
Old 04-17-2017, 08:27 AM

Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts
You said a 22r, but I don't know if they made a 22r in 1994, is it fuel injected? If so, then it's a 22re, and obviously there are differences between the 2. And people on here are very helpful, but I think we need more info, as warpigg suggests, how did you verify you have fuel? So the truck was running fine, there was an exhaust backfire and now it won't start?

If it is a 22re, then yes there are intake grounds that need to be there for the injectors to fire, there is a cold start injector that dumps extra fuel while cranking, there are some sensors that govern the cold behavior, and of course fuses and relays that dictate whether or not some of the critical components will do anything, like the EFI main fuse and relay.

So a lot of stuff going on there and no end of things you can check. If you are certain you have fuel squirting out the injectors, then some of these things can be automatically eliminated.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:57 AM

Yes you are correct,it is a 22re,I didnt realize that, and yes was running fine,backfired through the exhaust and shut off,checked and even replace efi relay and fuse,getting lots of fuel out of the cold start fuel line,have a good injector pulse so the injectors are firing,has plenty of spark and replaced cap rotor wires plugs,check all grounds that I could find,checked timing by pulling valve cove,timing mark tdc,number one tdc and rotor pointing at number one,,and will not fire with starting fluid or gas,I've found some post about checking the sta wire but can't find a diagram and location on the ecm with a grey 2 plug,thanks for any help and yes trying to learn about the yota
Old 04-18-2017, 04:59 AM

Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts
There are a couple of people who really know this stuff who will probably give you some specifics to check, sounds like you've done a lot of checks, but can you be more specific about how you verified that you have good spark and how you verified the injector pulses? If you are truly getting good spark to your plugs and the injectors are firing, it must be trying to start? And even with starting fluid you can't even get it to start momentarily? To me that says you are not getting spark, so I'd really like to hear more about how you checked it. There are PDF versions of the Factory Manuals floating around, so I'd search for the 94 manual if I were you.

Last edited by coryc85; 04-18-2017 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I dont fully understand your first post. The Crankshaft turns the Camshaft that turns the Distributor. Motor has to turn to operate the Distributor.

I am not as familiar with the 89-94 Coil but just because you are getting a spark at the spark plugs does not mean that it will be hot enough to ignite the fuel. Get a Hayne Manual and check the Primary and Secondary of the coil with a multimeter and see if they are in specs.

I think Toyota improved the crimps in the 89-95 but to see if you are getting a signal from the ECU, https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...t-22re-270857/ This test will tell you if you are getting a signal. On the older trucks, the wire crimps can get so corroded that it will not let enough of the signal to pass thru and fire the injectors.

Information on Injectors... https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51897320

Search this Thread