Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

I'm stuck trying to figure out my fuel and return system

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm stuck trying to figure out my fuel and return system

87 Truck 22r carburetor and have a few questions:

1). I would like to know (and pics would help) which hard line under the intake manifold is the supply line to fuel pump?

2). Which hard line is for the fuel return from pump to tank?

3-A). I have a black hose(doesn't look like it's a fuel line) that has been cut and it comes out of the bottom, of what I think is the charcoal canister, located next to fire wall.

3-B). I would like to know what that hose connects too?

4-A). I have a hard line from that canister that attaches to the finder and is turned 90* towards the engine.

4-B). what hose attaches to that hard line?

I think if i get the answers to these questions, then possibly I can get fuel to the mechanical pump

Mechanical pump is in good working condition, someone pulled the original engine out, cut and removed whatever was in the way and didn't bother to label nothing.

I've put another 22r in her but baffled by these issues and no fuel to pump.

thanks for any help. I appreciate it!!!

here is a few pic's

Old 10-31-2015, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you label the lines I'll tell you which one's go where. I also have an 87 with a 22r
There are three lines coming out of the fuel tank. The two shown together are the return and the other is for the evap. If you notice you should have two carbon canisters connected together with another line.
In a nutshell the two lines under the manifold cross over and the one towards the front is the fuel in, the one closer to the firewall is the return.
3 a-b The hose coming from the bottom of the cannister goes to the other canister towards the front. A vacuum line is connected to one of them and tee'd which goes to either the intake or carb.
4 a-b I don't know what hose you are talking about. Like I said label the lines you have a question about and it will be easier to be more precise.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by nordicwargod
If you label the lines I'll tell you which one's go where. I also have an 87 with a 22r
There are three lines coming out of the fuel tank. The two shown together are the return and the other is for the evap. If you notice you should have two carbon canisters connected together with another line.
In a nutshell the two lines under the manifold cross over and the one towards the front is the fuel in, the one closer to the firewall is the return.
3 a-b The hose coming from the bottom of the cannister goes to the other canister towards the front. A vacuum line is connected to one of them and tee'd which goes to either the intake or carb.
4 a-b I don't know what hose you are talking about. Like I said label the lines you have a question about and it will be easier to be more precise.
thanks for the info nordicwargod. I appreciate it!

now based on your info you provided. I have relabeled the lines as requested and hope this is correct, however Q #4 with the 90* hard line returned towards the engine and the hard fuel return line under the manifold turned down.
If I connect the two together i will have a 90* bend in the rubber fuel line, going to the hard line line under the manifold, unless I bend the fR hard line manifold out 90* to allow a straight 90* to 90* connection

Old 11-01-2015, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The biggest problem with figuring out the fuel and vacuum system on these 22r's is just simply the many, many hoses that there are and even with the best pictures is hard to follow sometimes. Your pictures are clear and good but even though I just did this last week I even have to scroll the pics up and down going hmmmmm?
There are two lines coming out below the intake. You have them labeled correctly and it looks like the "fuel in" line is already connected. The return line looks cut as I can't see the metal nipple to the rear of the fuel in. Just loop the 1/4" fuel line to the return and two of them are done.
The cut line coming out of the evap in the back loops down toward the front and connects to the other evap canister. A vacuum line tee's and goes to both canisters. Don't remember where the 1/8" vacuum line comes from. Either intake or carb.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by nordicwargod
The biggest problem with figuring out the fuel and vacuum system on these 22r's is just simply the many, many hoses that there are and even with the best pictures is hard to follow sometimes. Your pictures are clear and good but even though I just did this last week I even have to scroll the pics up and down going hmmmmm?
There are two lines coming out below the intake. You have them labeled correctly and it looks like the "fuel in" line is already connected. The return line looks cut as I can't see the metal nipple to the rear of the fuel in. Just loop the 1/4" fuel line to the return and two of them are done.
The cut line coming out of the evap in the back loops down toward the front and connects to the other evap canister. A vacuum line tee's and goes to both canisters. Don't remember where the 1/8" vacuum line comes from. Either intake or carb.
Thanks again
I figured it out