86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ignition or fuel issue? 89 hilux pickup

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ignition or fuel issue? 89 hilux pickup

Hello I am really hoping someone can help me with this issue I have an 89 5 speed 3vze the 3.0 4x4 my issue is when I attemp to start it up for the first time in the day like when the engine is cold I have to really crank and crank to get her started but I noticed if I give it some gas pedel it starts quicker. Then the major problem. I usually let it warm up for about 45 sec befor driving but still when I start giving it gas and let the clutch out it just wants to die I really have to ride the clutch to get me rolling. Durring this cold period throttle response is horrible and nearly kills the truck if you sit there and try to "rev" up the rpms. Once the truck is warmed up drivability is better but still feels very sluggish. After a full tune up including fuel and air filter, plugs wires cap and rotor, plus new tps and efi relay still no solved problems no longer throws code but she is still very under powerd. I don't know if I have a weak spark poor fuel or what but it really does seem to run rich. What's the effect of a bad egr valve could this be it or just my timming off?
Old 05-25-2010, 01:05 PM

Does it start up fine after it is warmed up? With the cold start issue for mine I just cleaned the Cold Starter Injector and it helped a bit with a similar start problem, however my issue was the fuel damper. Do you smell gas after driving your truck for a bit? If you do smell gas then the damper is probably one of your issues where you are loosing fuel line pressure after the truck sits for a bit. If the diaphragm goes bad inside the little screw backs out of the damper and you will loose fuel line pressure when your truck sits along with a strong gas odor. The fuel damper is part #23207-65010 at Kragen for about ninety bucks. Also I had a problem similar to your sluggish response, one of my fuel injectors was unplugged and when I would give it gas you would feel the truck bog down and get sluggish like it lacked power almost feeling like a miss. At first I replaced my spark plugs, cables and all filters and noticed one of my spark plugs was all black and gunked up. A shop told me I had a burned valve but my buddy who works for Toyota said no on that V-6 you couldn't drive it on a burned valve. He looked at it and one injector was loose. We plugged it in all the way and all performance was back 100%. These are just some possible solutions I'm sure you will get some other posts you can look at to. Also pulling the plenum on top of the engine to get to the fuel rail is an easy task its just time consuming.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:21 PM

Hey thanks for your input. unfortunetly its only very noticable while cold and there is no smell of fuel whatsoever just a little rich exhaust smell maybe. I understand that cold start injector thing but I read somewhere that only effects start up on cold days then after start up has nothing to do with the vehicles performance my problem is once started for instance while still warming up say I put gas pedal to the floor...rpms stutter and then climb but not like they should. And if I tap gas pedal the truck nearly stalls. Once truck is warm its starts right up and runs fine but still has a slight hesitation to it like at 3/4 throttle acceleration it sort of "lurches" like clears up then bogs then clears and bogs its a circle of power loss
Old 05-29-2010, 02:08 PM

I had pretty much the same problem. It drove me crazy, until I found an injector plug with the wires touching. Definitely check the wires going in to the injector plugs.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Listen to your exhaust and see if you can hear a misfire, if you have an injector not opening you should be able to hear that the engine is not running smoothly. From what you have said once the engine is warmed up it idles smoothly, that would most likely rule out an injector and where your truck always seems to have a slight hesitation, I'd also look at the fuel pump pressure. If your pump is getting weak and not providing the injection system with enough fuel, your engine will also bog down any time you try to accelerate.