Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

IFS upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IFS upgrades

I just got my 88 toyota pickup i have owned a 85 and had very much fun but had to get rid of it. what i need to know is if there is any thing i can buy to make my IFS stronger, im gonna run 34" LTB tires and i am planning a S.A.S but need to save the cash first, so i have to make the IFS work. any info would be more then i have now!
Old 02-06-2008, 07:42 PM

Here are some options. Pretty sure you would be interested in the gussets.

http://www.downeyoff-road.com/Suspen...s/1986-95.html
Old 02-06-2008, 08:46 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Sonoran steel crossmember is a significant upgrade.

The IFS itself is pretty strong - it's the steering that has issues. Total Chaos has an upgrade, but it's serious bank.

The best bet to maintain the longevity of the IFS is to leave it stock. Especially if you are so deadset determined on needing a SAS.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:52 PM

I think if you got the guesset and idler arm brace,fabbed up some Sway bar disconnect and got smaller bumpstops you will be surprised just what the IFS will handle. not saying it can keep up with a SAS but it should hold you over until you save the cash.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah if you want to do a SAS and are saving money....why would you put money into the ifs you are going to chop apart anyways? Used suspension parts don't hold much value....
Old 02-07-2008, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 89macrunner
yeah if you want to do a SAS and are saving money....why would you put money into the ifs you are going to chop apart anyways? Used suspension parts don't hold much value....

so if they dont then you wanna give me yours? 4in lift please ha ha just joking but yeah dont do a sas UNLESS you need it IFS is better for me my cents cents(thats 0.02 cents if you did'nt get it)
Old 02-07-2008, 06:14 PM

so do you guys think a ifs will hold a 302 smallblock with bout 320 horse im looking to do this.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:27 PM

It can and has been done. Search on Rockstomper and Scott Ellinger.

There are lots of factors that stress the IFS from amount of cranked-in lift to use of a front locker. You will likely want to find a balance between all of that and the amount of engine.

Frank
Old 02-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I can't believe no one has asked about this before.

All of the above information is wrong.

You simply cannot wheel IFS, whatsoever.

Do not, no matter what, even try. It is a waste of time, and you will certainly make a fool out of yourself.

If you are on a budget, do the following.

Do a SAS using junkyard springs and hangars.
Weld both diffs
Put on 4" lift blocks to clear 38" Interco's.

Do NOT, under any circumstances, spend a single red cent on IFS. You are insane to even consider it.

I'm not even sure why Toyota made 4wd IFS. What a friggin waste.

Last edited by AxleIke; 02-07-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
I can't believe no one has asked about this before.

All of the above information is wrong.

You simply cannot wheel IFS, whatsoever.

Do not, no matter what, even try. It is a waste of time, and you will certainly make a fool out of yourself.

If you are on a budget, do the following.

Do a SAS using junkyard springs and hangars.
Weld both diffs
Put on 4" lift blocks to clear 38" Interco's.

Do NOT, under any circumstances, spend a single red cent on IFS. You are insane to even consider it.

I'm not even sure why Toyota made 4wd IFS. What a friggin waste.
Someone is a little cranky.

Think is what he is trying to say is might try searchin around a little. I'm pretty sure there are some threads on this site that will have tons of info already. My 2 cents I would just wheel what you have and upgrade as needed. I think it was TC(correct me if Im wrong) with a red 4Runner take some hard trails in with IFS and lockers and make it through.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120...mation-121264/
This one has some good info on it. Do some more searchin and you should find all you need.
Welcome to Yotatech Yotaman85.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:24 AM
tc
Contributing Member

No, Isaac just forgot a smiley ... he has driven his silver 4Runner through harder trails than I've taken mine ...
Old 02-08-2008, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by tc
No, Isaac just forgot a smiley ... he has driven his silver 4Runner through harder trails than I've taken mine ...

Can't say I blame him! I swear it seems the more you and Isaac defend stock suspensions the less people want to hear it.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why someone wouldn't want to be reassured that their stock rig is very capable and that they can save a bunch of money and still have fun.

We need a sticky thread pictures of you and Isaac showing just what can be done with a set of pizza cutters. Oh, and if you do start a thread, don't forget to smile in the pictures that way folks will really believe IFS is fun to.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:27 PM

half shaft upgrades

Im looking for stronger half shafts, does any body make them for an '88 pickup. Im going to truck haven for tierra del sol and i bet my brother that i could follow him in my truck. He thinks ill bust a halfshaft in 10 min, maybe.so i want replacment shafts if need be. will the stock front end hold up to 34" tires.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yotaman85
Im looking for stronger half shafts, does any body make them for an '88 pickup. Im going to truck haven for tierra del sol and i bet my brother that i could follow him in my truck. He thinks ill bust a halfshaft in 10 min, maybe.so i want replacment shafts if need be. will the stock front end hold up to 34" tires.
I have 35 X 12.5'S on a 4' lift no cranked in lift from t bars and a AUSSIE LOCKER in front and have had no problems with getting around the trails mud holes and hills
Old 02-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by GenXr
Can't say I blame him! I swear it seems the more you and Isaac defend stock suspensions the less people want to hear it.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why someone wouldn't want to be reassured that their stock rig is very capable and that they can save a bunch of money and still have fun.

We need a sticky thread pictures of you and Isaac showing just what can be done with a set of pizza cutters. Oh, and if you do start a thread, don't forget to smile in the pictures that way folks will really believe IFS is fun to.
I'm down for a thread like that!

I understand Isaac's frustration. There are far too many people who have never gotten their rig past 25 degrees off camber who want to SAS. In other words, they have no idea what their truck can really do. So they SAS for reasons other than good ones, at least technically speaking.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
I'm down for a thread like that!

I understand Isaac's frustration. There are far too many people who have never gotten their rig past 25 degrees off camber who want to SAS. In other words, they have no idea what their truck can really do. So they SAS for reasons other than good ones, at least technically speaking.
word to that. make the thread and i'll continue to agree with you all.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

Unless you rock crawl, your shafts will hold up to 35's pretty well. Don't drive it like an idiot, and they'll be just fine. Avoid cranking full lock right or left and then punching the gas, and avoid spinning the tires really fast and then letting them hit the ground. If you raise a tire, let off the gas, and try a different line.

Carry spares, do the stud mod, and practice changing them once in the driveway. Troy and I together can do one pretty damn quick. Unless troy's skid plate gets cranky. Then I spend a few minutes cussing. But still. Pretty quick.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:00 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Troy and I together can do one pretty damn quick. Unless troy's skid plate gets cranky. Then I spend a few minutes cussing. But still. Pretty quick.
Ummm ... yeah ... sorry about that. It's fixed now. Actually, better than fixed - I cut "windows" in the sides so you don't have to drop the skid to replace the CV's.

yotaman85 - what is your setup (lift, lockers, gears, motor, etc)

As far as the AXLES are concerned, the CV halfshafts are VERY equivalent to a stock solid axle.

Recipe for disaster is locked, drooped, and turned hard - pretty easy to bust a CV then (but very avoidable too)
Old 02-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

No worries. I was just giving you crap. All fixed now. You can't even tell it happened.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:52 PM

its all stock cranked torsions a little, got rid of overload in back leaf and replaced it with a thin leaf off a two wheel drive, 34" LTB tires and some custom tail lights thanks to a big rock. also i am using it for rock crawling and i was impressed by the IFS and thats when i first got it i havnt had it out sence the above mods.

Quick Reply: IFS upgrades