86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

IFS jerking and pulling in 4wd?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 10:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
IFS jerking and pulling in 4wd?

Hope fully I can get some answers from someone more knowledgeable. 87 4runner, manualy hubs. I've never noticed it until it started snowing where I'm driving in 4wd at speeds of 20mph+. Who knows if it was doing it a while ago because the only time I would use 4wd drive was if I was on the trail, mostly in lo gear, about 5mph.

Now living in a different state where it actually snows, on slippery traction in 4 high or low, my front end is just jerking and pulling real bad. Worse when I give it gas. With the hubs locked, but in 2wd there is a really bad whining grinding noise up front, but not with the hubs unlocked.
I inspected the CV boots, nothing is torn from what I can see. What do you think? There is some really bad vibrations on the freeway at 70mph. I just did the V6 brake upgrade and also did outer hub bearings. I can't remember how much I tightened them. The axles themselves, or the bearings? I can get lifetime warranty Cardone axles and some Koyo bearings reall cheap(also gunna do the inner bearings too). Also going to do ball joints, rod ends (inner and outer) pitman and idler arm, and the TRE ajusting sleeves. Is There anything else I should look at and consider doing?

I hope I didn't wear out my actual hubs, but does any one know where to buy a gasket kit for them? The napa I work for doesn't list any, or I'm not looking hard enough.

Thanks guys, any input is appreciated. There's about a foot of snow on the ground, and I need to get this fixed!
Old 12-19-2011, 11:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
pinion bearing failure. Probably ran dry and maybe locked up internally.

Depending on the ratio its cheaper to buy one from a junk yard than to fix it, 4:10 are quite common.

Jack up the front and block / jack stands. Turn front driveshaft by hand & shake the pinion. If it moves side to side, you have your answer. Put it in 4wd and turn one wheel, the other should spin the opposite way, and it should be smooth and not have too much slop. More slop & knocks and noises the worse it is.

Wheel Bearing torque; I think are 13flbs.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Figures... I spend like 6 years in Albuquerque trying to find a Yota nut to go wheeling with in the snow, and waiting on snow for that matter, and the first year I'm gone it all happens.....

Anyway. Skoti I'd jack the front end up and do the checks that skypilot recommends. As far as not finding a gasket set at Napa, which one are you working at? The one down on Eubank just this side of Indian School always had everything I needed. I believe I talked to either Mark or Jason when I went in.

Ok just for reference mine also jerks around a tad going highway speeds with the 4wd engaged. That's why I run much slower and just lock in the hubs, if I need 4x4 then I can engage the lever (this happened a while back when I went into a ditch backwards off the highway at about 50mph, once we were stopped I pulled the little stick and out of the ditch we went). I do notice some vibration and extra noise with the hubs engaged but nothing crazy.

Still wish we could have met up before I left. I ended up taking the 4.56 r&p sets that I had to the scrap yard along with two front ends (one in 4.56 the other in 4.10) and a pile of steel (front C channel bumper, roll bar, extra skid plates).

Good luck!
Old 12-19-2011, 03:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Mine was all over the road in 4wd in deep snow with mismatched gear ratios.
Flame on.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bad alignment can cause the jerking, too, and if the bushings the axles pass through are dry, they can make some bearing going out-like noises. Not saying that's it for sure, but nobody else has mentioned it yet.

As for the gaskets, only place I know of is the Wabbit:
http://www.wabfab.org/Aisin-Manual-Hubs.html
Old 12-19-2011, 09:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
thanks for all the advice guys. Its wierd that you mention that Junkers, I work at the Eubank store. I work at the third counter from the door. Lol you've probably been in while I was working. Yeah Jason is the assistant manager. I'm still not 100 percent with there new computer system, I'll check with it tomorrow.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd check the bushings as mentioned first, get the a needle injector & shoot some grease in between the hub & axle & see if that helps. Cheap & easy. I'd also verify there's no play in the wheel bearings. Why did you only replace the outer bearing?