Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

IFS Carrier Drive Shaft Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 01:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
IFS Carrier Drive Shaft Bearings

On the OEM ADD IFS carrier they use needle bearings to support the axle shafts. On the new ARB carrier they use soft metal bushings.

IMO the bearings are much better than the bushings?

Any input on this? see pic. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I doubt it will be an issue or ARB would not have used a bushing. If you are worried about it instal some manual hubs and you will rarely have the axle spinning in the bushing (only when hubs are locked). If you want to completely eliminate any chance of wear you can do manual hubs and replace the long side shaft/axle housing on the diff with parts form a manual hub truck, it does not need the support from the bushing/bearing.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by am4x4
I doubt it will be an issue or ARB would not have used a bushing. If you are worried about it instal some manual hubs and you will rarely have the axle spinning in the bushing (only when hubs are locked). If you want to completely eliminate any chance of wear you can do manual hubs and replace the long side shaft/axle housing on the diff with parts form a manual hub truck, it does not need the support from the bushing/bearing.
Thanks,

So they use the bearing w/ADD because it rotates continuously.

If I decided to keep ADD with new ARB, would the bushing life be decreased? The ARB manual does not differentiate ADD and non-ADD.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In theory you would get less bushing life keeping the ADD the way it is vs installing manual hubs but I doubt you will have a problem either way. I would still track down a set of manual hubs just to save wear on the cv's. You can lock them if you think you may need 4WD and it will be just like it is now, but you have the option to unlock them when you know you wont need 4WD and save some wear and tear on your front end parts. Manual hubs do not eliminate the ADD system, they just give you another place to disconnect the drivetrain from the wheels further downstream.