Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I want power windows,any sugestions on kits?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want power windows,any sugestions on kits?

right side gear is stripped on my 92 pickup,seems like good time to go power.Looking at those $75 kits.Are they worth anything.Dont want cheesy,just want to be able to open windows without leaning across cab.Chime in if you can offer some input or advice.thanks
Old 11-20-2009, 11:05 PM

have you looked into getting the stock setup from a wreckers? I installed power windows from a donor car into an Rx7 a few years back and it had all the wiring already in the windows just needed switches and window regulators with motors.. not sure if toyota installed all wiring as well, just a thought. I wouldnt want those cheesy aftermarket power windows.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:59 PM

i don't know why you want them....(i swapped out my power windows in my 85 for crank ones with wing windows) but, prolly the best would be to just find a set of complete doors with power windows (including all the switches in the panels) of craigs for $50. might even get lucky and get the same color as your truck if you care.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I second michalik piotr. (wth does your name even say/mean?.. sorry if yours name lol)

20 bucks and you got a new manual crank off Ebay, its not as quality as stock but it'll last ya (in passanger side? 20 yrs) .. driver.. give or take 4 yrs.

I just put a new driver crank in wednesday night actually.

And no toyota did not install wiring for power windows in their non power doors.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
As said though, power windows are really just a regulator and a motor, so he could pretty much tap into any 12v source that turns on with the ignition.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just steal a set off of a power wndow equipped pickup in the junk yard.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:07 AM

A1electric.com has some nice power window kits at a good price, get the joker style switches, lower profile, and nicer looking. Instal looks pretty much straight forward. I used their 5 pin switches to replace my broken stock ones.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep, I agree with those who say you should just get some doors off a truck in a junk yard, and wire those up to work. Your truck should have all the cutouts for the wires, and the fuse box is probably set up for it anyway, it just doesn't have the fuse in there. Should be pretty simple, esp. if you find a donor truck that's the same color as yours.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by stormin94
Yep, I agree with those who say you should just get some doors off a truck in a junk yard, and wire those up to work. Your truck should have all the cutouts for the wires, and the fuse box is probably set up for it anyway, it just doesn't have the fuse in there. Should be pretty simple, esp. if you find a donor truck that's the same color as yours.
You shouldn't need to change out the entire door, just grab the window regulators, relays, wire and switch's from a donor vehicle.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just installed power windows in my truck. I bought a kit from ebay and it works great. I have been using it for a month ...

But its alot of work .. especially the wiring!

Other than the kit, you would need a relay so that the power windows only work when the key is inserted.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:52 AM

i found a it by a company called electric life.Its a bolt in but expensive,think the ebay kit will be in my future.Any tricks I should look out for?I can probably handle the wiring.Thanks for the input
Old 11-27-2009, 08:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stormin94
Actually, funny you mention that. I replaced the door on my truck with one that didn't have power anything. Surprisingly there wasn't a hole for the wiring on the non power door. I ended up having to cut one. Everything else bolted in though.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:26 PM

Sorry to revive an old thread.... Last weekend I installed power locks in my '84 pickup, and now I'm itching to install power windows. I don't want to buy an expensive kit, and I'm no stranger to u-pull-it yards. However, finding Toyota pickups at my local pull-yard is close to impossible.

My question: Does anyone know what other vehicle models would have a compatible regulator/mount with my truck? I have the window with the little vent. I don't mind drilling a few holes in my door frame if needed, and I'm not afraid of any wiring issues, I just want to have the best possible fit without having to modify too much.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry Dr. Reddog I don't have an answer for you maybe someone else will. This is an older thread but seems like as good a place as any to post. I have a '94 pickup and have been toying with the idea of installing power windows, maybe even locks if the price is right and it doesn't require a whole lot of modifying. I don't mind drilling into my doors or door jams if I have to and I have had some experience with swapping power window components into nonpower doors (on other trucks). My main concern is does anyone know for sure if the wiring is there in the lower option trucks like mine? If so I may tackle this mod. Also does anyone know if the wireing and window regulators out of a 4runner would work? I know the door skins themselves are different but I would use mine. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:54 PM

I bought a generic power lock kit off ebay, $25. It was easy to install, no need to change any of the stock components, the actuators literally bolt onto the stock locking components. As for wiring, it was all included, I just had to tap into 12v+ constant from the steering column, and hook into a ground. Had both doors power locking in under an hour.

Now if only I could find something as cheap and easy for the windows.... surely someone knows....
Old 02-24-2011, 02:10 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Check out camrys, ive heard of a few people here that have used the power window regulators from them in 84-88 trucks and 4Runners.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:45 AM

Thanks, I'll check into it.