Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

i need 1 ton axles any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i need 1 ton axles any ideas?

so i ve got my truck to about where i want it. i have a month left till i deploy to iraq.

my plan for when i come home is to swap in a built 7mgte, or 2jzgte, build a bullet proof transmission, dual case with rear crawler gears, take the body lift off and rebuild and reenforce the suspension from the axles up i.e. gusseting. and get some supper beefy axles capable of taking 450rwhp like 1 tons. i still want to be able to run it on the street so i have to be able to cover them with fender flares. any ideas would be great. oh and i already have SAS adn lockers
Old 03-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds like you have some 'monster" plans for your truck...
sorry I have no suggestions for you on parts sourcing...
good luck in the sandbox, stay safe and thank you for your service...
Old 03-07-2009, 06:57 AM

You could take full width axles and pay to have a machine shop cut them down... heard of some one doing that. But I can imagine that it would cost a bunch
Old 03-07-2009, 07:46 AM

dana 60s are the first thing to pop into my mind, but be ready to fork out the $$$ iv been seeing bone stock chevy 60s (the pumpkin is on the pass side so it matches the tc output) and have almost fainted at the prices.. upwards of 1000 to 1200. if i build a full on trail rig soon i will be looking at the SPIDER-TRAX off road Spider 9 housings, they build them to custom widths, and they use a Ford 9in third member, you can choose to use a hybrid axle and run dana 60 hubs, and spindles. from what i have read about them they are susposed to be bullet proof and is turning alot of heads in the comp. scene like werock, xrra, ect... a while back i saw one of there set ups with a portal tech outer so it is turned into a Portal axle, FREAKIN SWEET.. can you say max ground clearance. i think the best thing about them is that they carry every thing.. so you dont have to hunt and piece togeather parts. you could also run like a 60 front and a 14 bolt rear..... but if you want to go overkill... go with ROCKWELLS i heard that ARB is making lockers for them now.. SWEET
Old 03-07-2009, 08:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Since you're in the military you might want to keep your eyes out for wrecked military Blazers. I know when I was still at Fort Hood the military was taking busted blazers and selling them. Most of the time the ARMY guys on post had first bid. The ones that I saw most often were equiped with Dana 60's front and rear and the rear was a Detroit Locked full floater. The front's were sometimes locked sometimes not so that's hit-n-miss. I've seen them go for as little as 1000$ a pair usually one has a busted motor/tranny/t-case etc or has been rolled and the other had something else wrong with it. One guy would buy both and swap the parts from one into the other and have a turn key rig. The other one would be sold for parts to some other 4x4 junkie who wanted the axles and suspension.

Just a thought.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:51 AM

i like the military rig idea kinda tribute to the guys. that could be a cool theme for my truck. all the money i make while over seas is all non taxable so ill have a bit of extra cash i am going to put into my truck. thanks all you tax payers. J/K. i want to go with one tons but i don t want the full width with the tight trails of the northwest it takes away from your selection of trails you can take. i am going to check out that spider axle place and definitely the military axles those things take a beating. and they jump really well.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ffryno13
those things take a beating. and they jump really well.
That's how most of ours ended up getting sold off! If I had time I'd tell you about the three hummers that got burned to the ground along with all the weapons/ammo/radios that were in them.

Thank you for your service. I'll put you in my prayers along with all my other brothers and sisters over there.

Last edited by Junkers88; 03-07-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
80 series land cruiser axles or rockwells
Old 03-07-2009, 04:50 PM

we were in idaho and the cannoneers short circuited their ammo truck with charge bags and everything 105mm rounds. and my TC (truck commander burned our knight truck down with all our gear in it. it was cool until we had to ride in LMTV for 10 hours back home
Old 03-08-2009, 05:39 PM

yes as stated above, Dana 60's are the ticket for the front, granted you'll have a very tough time finding them. (older k30 chevy's kingpin style)
Rear has alot of options.
Here's my plans, call me crazy.!
I'm looking for a Ford super duty f350 99-05 with v 10, auto tranny, w/ MANUAL shift tcase (nv271 I believe) (the donar is preferrablly 01-05 for the 3 valve) I figure I can find a midly wrecked unit that runs for maybe $2k
Can pick em up all day long beat up and running good for about $5k.

Anyhow, here's my reasoning:
I'm currently happy with my rig but I"m ready to go to full width axles. Futhermore, I'm more than ready for more power. Those 2 things combined are most commonly accomplished with a sm block chevy and 14 bolt and dana 60 or dana44 etc...

However, I figure shoot, with these complete ford super duty trucks being readily available for the price I'd have in all the gear and adaptors etc,......why not use the f350 super duty which already has plenty of pwr via the v10 (if I can keep it from chucking plugs LOL), dana 60 up front (I'd prefer the older kingpins, but I'll settle for ball joints any day to get the v10), the bulletproof sterling 10.5 out back with beefy disc brakes, and a stout tcase with incredible low gearing for a stock unit. (I"d probly look at a np205/203 doubler down the road)

I"ll fab all my own suspension and run 3 link up front, 4 or 5 link out back.
Haven't decided on coils or coil overs;.............naturally just a $$$ decision I have to make. I'd really like to have the air/coil over hybrid ....but....not sure $1700 is justifyable for the pack of 4.

I'll set my runner on the super duty frame when all done, and get decal made that says TOYOTA FORDRUNNER.
Anyhow, ya, that's my plan.

Last edited by ALHOSER; 03-08-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by ALHOSER
yes as stated above, Dana 60's are the ticket for the front, granted you'll have a very tough time finding them. (older k30 chevy's kingpin style)
I'm looking for a Ford super duty f350 99-05 with v 10, auto tranny, w/ MANUAL shift tcase (nv271 I believe) (the donar is preferrablly 01-05 for the 3 valve) I figure I can find a midly wrecked unit that runs for maybe $2k

I'm currently happy with my rig but I"m ready to go to full width axles. Futhermore, I'm more than ready for more power. Those 2 things combined are most commonly accomplished with a sm block chevy and 14 bolt and dana 60 or dana44 etc...

However, I figure shoot, with these complete ford super duty trucks being readily available for the price I'd have in all the gear and adaptors etc,......why not use the f350 super duty which already has plenty of pwr via the v10 (if I can keep it from chucking plugs LOL), dana 60 up front (I'd prefer the older kingpins, but I'll settle for ball joints any day to get the v10), the bulletproof sterling 10.5 out back with beefy disc brakes, and a stout tcase with incredible low gearing for a stock unit. (I"d probly look at a np205/203 doubler down the road)

Haven't decided on coils or coil overs;.............naturally just a $$$ decision I have to make. I'd really like to have the air/coil over hybrid ....but....not sure $1700 is justifyable for the pack of 4.

I'll set my runner on the super duty frame when all done, and get decal made that says TOYOTA FORDRUNNER.
wow your crazy say goodbye to your wheel wells to get that motor to fit
Old 03-08-2009, 08:48 PM

thats some pretty good ideas i d stay away from the V10 but i d def go with a diesel PS 7.3l turbo. with a 6 speed. you can put a lot o power in those bad boys with out a problem.

my plan: is to swap in a supra 2jzgte or the v8 version. and then order everything off spyder trax .com and. i like to keep the width maybe a lil wider like 2 or 3 in total. this truck is still going to be driven on the road but everything is subject to change i still have a year before this build begins but gives me a while to start getting all my parts together.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by ffryno13
thats some pretty good ideas i d stay away from the V10 but i d def go with a diesel PS 7.3l turbo. with a 6 speed. you can put a lot o power in those bad boys with out a problem.

my plan: is to swap in a supra 2jzgte or the v8 version. and then order everything off spyder trax .com and. i like to keep the width maybe a lil wider like 2 or 3 in total. this truck is still going to be driven on the road but everything is subject to change i still have a year before this build begins but gives me a while to start getting all my parts together.
yes, I have thought that through pretty well. I currently own a 2000 f250 w/ the 7.3 and I love it. Lightly modded just enough to have fun with. Great pulling rig. I pull my rig and a buddy's jeep on my 36ft gooseneck and runs down highway real nice.
Only reason I"m not going w/ the psd, is because of weight. Granted I guess we're only talking about another 300lbs over the v10. However, personally I feel that the stock v10 would better suite my horsepower/torque needs. I'd have to juice up the psd a bit to satisfy my hp worm. The stock v10 gives you well over 300hp right out of the gate. I think the 6sp would be nice (and alot more fun to drive) but after having experience at serious rockcrawling with a manual and an auto, the auto is pants down the ticket for me.

It'll be a fun build. I hope to begin later this year and do a winter build. Gonna give the original yota one last season
Attached Thumbnails i need 1 ton axles any ideas?-img_0056.jpg  

Last edited by ALHOSER; 03-09-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air bag/coilover hybrids? Where do you get those?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by T-1000
Air bag/coilover hybrids? Where do you get those?
I"m sure there's other places, but I'll be working with these guys for most of my parts I'm sure.

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...ck_p_1649.html
Old 03-09-2009, 11:14 AM

man around here thats one thing i can get cheappp someone i know has a set of chevy one tons 14boltff rear and d60 front 411 gears and he only wants $650 and will throw in an np205 also found a full one tone truck for $500 motor tranny transfer axles
Old 03-09-2009, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I"m sure there's other places, but I'll be working with these guys for most of my parts I'm sure.

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...ck_p_1649.html
Oh...Those are air shocks. I thought you meant air BAG and coilovers. That would be crazy...