Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

I have no horn...

Old 01-16-2009, 07:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have no horn...

On my 86 4runner my horn does not work. It used to wirk before a long time ago and then it started only workin after hittin it 10 times then it just totally farted. Everything seems intact about it. Before i start trippin over lookin for shorts and bad grounds and cut wires what would be the easiest thing to start with. and no its not a fuse i'ev been there done that put a new one in.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Couple things I would want to know.....
1. where/what were you hitting make it work for a while?
2. Did it have a blown horn fuse and you had to replace?

I would try a few steps that should easily narrow it down.

Put jumper wire (+12v) directly to horn. If it honk keep going. If it doesnt, you have a bad horn.

Find the relay. Press the button on the steering wheel, if it is not clicking, first check that the feed wire from the wheel is sending a ground to the relay with a meter. If it is, replace the relay. If not, rip apart the horn button and and look for loose contacts, something broken, etc.

You could probably pull the relay and jump the contacts as well to test the whole circuit and determine bad relay.

Last edited by dntsdad; 01-16-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:35 PM

Yea i was gonna try the horn with the battery in morning if nobody said anythin. I'm not sure if i hear a clicking. The horn button clicks so i might not be hearing the relay... Where is the horn relay located at?
Old 01-16-2009, 07:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i dont have a that generation so i am not sure but i would start above the driver side kick panel
Old 01-16-2009, 07:48 PM

ok cool thanks alot for your help hopefuly i can get somethin to work for inspection lol.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a few issues w/mine too.

turned outto be many things...
the wire feeds from the passenger side wheel well and is taped up w/the pass. side lights.
if your blinkers work, your wires are most likely good, and in that same path.

1st. my wires were melted together (p.o.)
2nd. my copper horn ring wasnt connected, and was floating around the collar.

but yours sounds like your copper ring is just dirty or bent

can your horn work while the wheel is turned to a certain location (say 1 oclock/ 2 oclock/ 3 oclock etc..) ?

or the spring pin that connects the horn to the ring, may be dirty, or worn out...*(common issue w/older cars)

hope that helps
Old 01-16-2009, 09:49 PM

nah horn hasen't worked in like months but when it did bearly work i would have to push its about 3 or 4 times to get horn out of it nows its gone.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i would pull the steering wheel, and link a wire from the push rod to a ground (i think that actuated the horn)...

that would test the connection all the way into the wheel..
if that fails..well, above posts show how to test the horn itself..

ps.
if you need another "stock" horn, i have one..if your close to seattle, just stop by and pick it up..
Old 01-17-2009, 08:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could always rip that one out and put a train horn it
Old 01-17-2009, 08:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like a perfect time to put a real horn in it. I know the old adage about if it ain't broke, but toyota horns are broke from the factory in my opinion.

Did it get weak slowly? or did it "misfire"? or did it only work if you pressed really hard? or if you slammed your fist into it repeatedly? Different problems with all of those. From what you said in the first post it sounds like the last one, which would indicate something in the wheel.

But as to fixing it, it sounds like something in the wheel. Not sure about your model, but on mine you can get to just about everything without pulling the wheel all the way off. You should just be able to pull the "cover" part (where you push on) without pulling the wheel. Everything is under there. You might find something as simple as a loose wire or connector.

Like idanity said, I'm fairly sure the horn switch in the wheel just grounds the horn (mine does) on your model. Toyota doesn't like to change a whole lot of things like that, so I would assume that's the case. Pull it apart and test it out by grounding it and that will tell you where the problem is. IF if doesn't go off when you ground it, start looking at the connectors and find the wire that comes from the horn switch and where it connects into what is probably a large connector with a ton of wires somewhere on (or near) the bottom of the steering column where it gets close to the dash. Ground it on the main harness side of the connector, and if it goes off, then you know the problem is upstream (ie, in the wheel, the horn ring, what have you).

If you don't want to piss off the neighbors, you can wire up a light to the connectors that are on the horn itself.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:40 PM

Ok well uh where i'm at in north caroilna its been cold as balls so when i get a day its have way warm i'll get out and start tinkering thanks alot guys imma get right on it if not i'll be back on this forum.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my horn seems to be slowly "going" right now as well

this may be helpful: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=318491
Old 04-16-2016, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had the same problem.. Ended up running a new ground wire.. No issue at all...

Search this Thread