Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

I have a 1993 Toyota pickup 3.0 4x4 an i want to beef her up

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 1993 Toyota pickup 3.0 4x4 an i want to beef her up

I want to add a Diesel, but im not sure what kind would be best to add. Its all stock an i want to beef it up a little bit, any ideas? i want to add a good size lift whats the best way to do what?
Old 02-20-2014, 05:42 AM

Well.....Since these trucks didn't come with much get up and go its going to take some $$$ to get it to move faster.

All the bolt-on's, cam's, AFM, header, exhaust, etc on the stock motor is going to cost some dough and will only be lipstick on a pig.

A Toyota engine swap will cost about the same $$$ as above but at least you'll have a better starting point.

For a diesel....are you looking for simplicity or off road torque and power? There is a Toyota diesel but its not going to be any better than the stock Toyota gas engine, but at least it will swap right in with the factory wiring harness and ECU.

If you want power than look at a Cummins 4BT. Simple enough and common enough but somewhat expensive and you will still have to interface your factory wiring somehow...hope you are good with a soldering iron and a welder. They are heavy though.

Even with the 4BT you are going to have to somehow adapt it your stock transmission which probably wont be possible as they were mounted to GM TH400's. So you'll likely have to a transmission and transfer case swap and get some custom driveshafts.

I'd either swap a supra engine or a 3.4L and call it done. If you want more power....get an aluminum 5.3L LS engine with a 6L80e trans out of a GM truck. Then adapt an older GM transfer case and get some custom drive shafts.

More power equals more $$$. And its an exponential curve.

Last edited by AdmiralYoda; 02-20-2014 at 05:44 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by AdmiralYoda
Well.....Since these trucks didn't come with much get up and go its going to take some $$$ to get it to move faster. All the bolt-on's, cam's, AFM, header, exhaust, etc on the stock motor is going to cost some dough and will only be lipstick on a pig. A Toyota engine swap will cost about the same $$$ as above but at least you'll have a better starting point. For a diesel....are you looking for simplicity or off road torque and power? There is a Toyota diesel but its not going to be any better than the stock Toyota gas engine, but at least it will swap right in with the factory wiring harness and ECU. If you want power than look at a Cummins 4BT. Simple enough and common enough but somewhat expensive and you will still have to interface your factory wiring somehow...hope you are good with a soldering iron and a welder. They are heavy though. Even with the 4BT you are going to have to somehow adapt it your stock transmission which probably wont be possible as they were mounted to GM TH400's. So you'll likely have to a transmission and transfer case swap and get some custom driveshafts. I'd either swap a supra engine or a 3.4L and call it done. If you want more power....get an aluminum 5.3L LS engine with a 6L80e trans out of a GM truck. Then adapt an older GM transfer case and get some custom drive shafts. More power equals more $$$. And its an exponential curve.
This is waaaaaay too much information for such ill conceived questions..

To the OP, there are tons of write ups, builds, and discussions concerning the topics you're interested in. No one can answer for you. We can only point you in the right direction..
Old 02-20-2014, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^This.

Plus, in order to give suggestions about upgrades, we need to know what kind of budget you have and what the overall goal for the rig is. The best thing to do is read over build threads, gets some ideas, and go from there. In my sig, there's a link to my build thread. If you're looking to do a low budget build, it may be a good place to start.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:59 AM

There's not a whole lot you can do for power, I've tried or researched almost everything on a 3VZE engine. There's no bolt-on superchargers, turbos, or anything like that.

You can help it out a bit with improving the exhaust and air intakes, as well as the injectors, but none of that is bolt-on, it all requires modifications.

There's a diesel engine they made for the Hilux (the Euro/Int'l version of our trucks), but I think stock it had HP ratings in the 90's. Not exactly an upgrade. Newer engines such as the 3.4L would be better, but I'm guessing if you have the 2-3k to do the job, you probably would have bought a new vehicle with a more powerful engine in the first place...
Old 02-20-2014, 11:10 AM

[QUOTE="Gamefreakgc;52169644"]There's not a whole lot you can do for power, I've tried or researched almost everything on a 3VZE engine. There's no bolt-on superchargers, turbos, or anything like that. You can help it out a bit with improving the exhaust and air intakes, as well as the injectors, but none of that is bolt-on, it all requires modifications. There's a diesel engine they made for the Hilux (the Euro/Int'l version of our trucks), but I think stock it had HP ratings in the 90's. Not exactly an upgrade. Newer engines such as the 3.4L would be better, but I'm guessing if you have the 2-3k to do the job, you probably would have bought a new vehicle with a more powerful engine in the first place...[/QUOTE

I agree with this.. Anybody looking for stronger and beefier trucks may consider newer trucks for better attributes stock. But to stay on topic for OP, I'd be pro-3.4 swap as they're much more readily available than diesels, are likely more powerful and likely easier to work on. Plus, unless you plan on running BIOdiesel or driving underwater (!), I'm not seeing the purpose of the diesel.. Not meant to start a debate, just opinions for the OP.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
More turd polishing I see.....

OP: I also thought as you did at once about how this engine couldnt be that bad, and how it would more than likely be a diamond in the rough with some work. It's not, you want a real engine go with a newer 3.4 or better, some options you ask? 1uzfe Toyota/Lexus V8 readily availabel can be had for around 200 bux for the complete engine set but somewhat expensive to install. Next would be the SBC 350, huge aftermarket support, cheapest V8 option period. Like ford? Drop in a 5.0 also a common swap. If you want fuel mileage and great low end torque install a GM 4.3 (see SBC 350 for adapters). 2RZ / 3RZ are also good options 2rz being cheaper....

Simply put your goals, expectations, use, budget and want vs need are all factors we cannot control. Figure those out and you will have a starting point, then google each engine I just listed and cross it to your starting point, narrow this down and if you feel the 3vze is still the best option, god help you.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:38 AM

^Hey, I love my 3vze! As Gamefreak said, there aren't many bolt ons. The only bolt ons that I know of are cams, headers, and cold air intakes. This stuff is pretty expensive and not really worth it for the 3.0 V6. I would do mods like the EGR/PAIR delete, catalytic converter delete, and a free flowing exhaust first before diving into a full engine swap. Getting rid of all that emissions crap is cheap and really wake the 3.0 up. However, if you need them in your state, I wouldn't recommend removing them
Old 03-04-2014, 01:55 PM

i love the answers you all are giving me

well i need a bigger engine for it because i am towing a 12x6 trailer with a 1000 pound mower on it and it pulls fine and all but it just works my truck really bad, i tried backing it up my hill in my drive way an i could hear her whinning pretty bad she didnt like it at all, i would rather beef her up before i ruin her somehow. but its also my daily driver. i dont really want a new truck i love my toyota haha, i know she will get the job done how she is but i know it would be better upgraded, everybody is saying the 3.4 would be a better swap, does it have a larger towing cap? and i dont have a set price but i dont want the most expensive stuff
Old 03-06-2014, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by 93Xtra-Cab
^Hey, I love my 3vze! As Gamefreak said, there aren't many bolt ons. The only bolt ons that I know of are cams, headers, and cold air intakes. This stuff is pretty expensive and not really worth it for the 3.0 V6. I would do mods like the EGR/PAIR delete, catalytic converter delete, and a free flowing exhaust first before diving into a full engine swap. Getting rid of all that emissions crap is cheap and really wake the 3.0 up. However, if you need them in your state, I wouldn't recommend removing them
I agree with 93Xtra-Cab. If you check out my build thread as well, I have done most of the cheap mods you can do except the crossover pipe, and it really added some low end torque to the 3.0. Is it comparable to the 3.4? No... but I still haul a ton of pellets over 10% grade summits in the winter. If and when you have to rebuild the heads, have a machine shop port them out along with the intake and throttle body. This is all still cheaper than a swap and will most likely get you to where you want, but maybe you are looking for more power...
Old 03-28-2014, 04:40 AM

Is this trustworthy jasperengines
I think if it is I may buy my engine from here
Old 03-31-2014, 06:04 AM
RSR

There are several frame reinforcement type products available that make sense regardless of what your run/do w/ your engine.

Sdori rear A arm braces: http://www.sdori.com/SDORI_Products.html

Their are some weld on frame reinforcements. Steering frame reinforcements. Replacement of detoriated/failed bushing. Various differential and frame armor. Etc.

This is the way I read your question, but ultimately I would recommend taking care of standard maintenance stuff before you lift or do other mods that make your likely failure points fail immediately, causing you to sink further $ to fix problems you could have prevented with substantially less $ upfront...
Old 04-01-2014, 02:23 AM
RSR

For lifts: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/...67/index2.html
Old 04-01-2014, 01:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
3.4 gas or vw TDI diesel http://forums.tdiclub.com/
Old 04-01-2014, 05:23 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
I have every bolt on add on for the 3vze. she aint stock anymore!!! and she MOVES!!! Do some research and dont listen to the haters. I seriously have about 300 dollars of extras in my motor. I am cheap and resourceful and wait for the deals. keep an eye out for the deals.

look into the:
7mge afm swap
EGR delete
timing advance
8 mm wires
free flowing exhaust
headers
injectors
over bored Throttle body
weezy cams

I have given you your homework assignment. it is up to you to decide what you want to do
Old 04-03-2014, 03:01 AM

Thank you man I most certainly will!
Old 04-03-2014, 03:49 AM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
I should clarify..... I have JUST about every bolt on part for the 3vze. I don't have cams and a bigger throttle body. I have no plans to get them either. Unless I turn it in to a full race Baja truck which is unlikely. However... my truck pulls very hard up to 4500-5000 RPM. I have no problem doing 95 mph and often have to slow down and set the cruise on the highway so I don't get a ticket. In the dirt it pulls great down low and still has good low torque.
There is power to be had in the 3vze. Maybe not as much as an SC 3.4 but improvements can be made. Good luck and do your homework before you make any changes.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:57 AM

So you think id have better luck with a 3.4 better than a diesel witch I wouldn't argue with you. But how much is the cost to swap for a 3.4? An what's the cost of a 3.4
Old 04-03-2014, 07:03 AM

The cost and difficulty of swapping in a 3.4 in place of your 3.0 would be considerably less than swapping in a diesel.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by bone collector
I have every bolt on add on for the 3vze. she aint stock anymore!!! and she MOVES!!! Do some research and dont listen to the haters. I seriously have about 300 dollars of extras in my motor. I am cheap and resourceful and wait for the deals. keep an eye out for the deals.

look into the:
7mge afm swap
EGR delete
timing advance
8 mm wires
free flowing exhaust
headers
injectors
over bored Throttle body
weezy cams

I have given you your homework assignment. it is up to you to decide what you want to do
I wish I didn't have California smog emissions... then I could do headers and EGR delete. Half the stuff I have on there right now isn't smog legal but at least they are not permanent

Quick Reply: I have a 1993 Toyota pickup 3.0 4x4 an i want to beef her up