Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

I had a reality check today about my pickup...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Unhappy I had a reality check today about my pickup...

...and I came to the conclusion that it would be impracticle for me right now in my life to re-work my truck, drop in the motor I've oh-so-badly been wanting to build up, and go crazy on the front suspention fabbing like I've been talking about and collection parts for for a while now...

so this weekend, I'm going to install my new inner and outter tie-rods, idler arm, and pitman arm, as well as some OEM replacement Monroe Sensatracks front and rear, and Monroe stabilizer that I just ordered in at the parts store, and probably also going to be getting a set of new pavement pounders as well, cause these Procomp ATs are beyond shot, and getting a quality alignment...

This being my daily driver, I just don't have the time to mess with it like I had hoped. And it really bugs me because I make enough money at my job that I really could have this truck regeared, locked front and rear, armored all the way around, and maybe even have a SC 3.4 before the end of this year... Now if I had another vehicle to drive that was reliable, then I'd tare into this truck. But right now I'm just going to get it into shape to do what I need to to do. I'm about to be making a 3 hour trip to south Florida once every about 2 weeks for work, and I need it to get me there and back safely.

I'm going to start looking around for a mid-mileage complete 22re to drop in, but if I have no luck I'll look into getting a complete remanufactured long block from somewhere.

I turn 22 this Thursday; is this part of really growing up?

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 03-02-2009 at 02:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MrJebadia (01-08-2020)
Old 03-02-2009, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
I turn 22 this Thursday; is this part of growing up?
Why yes it is! Realizing that you dont always have the time or money to do the things that you want. Sacrificing a little now will pay off in the end. Do the right thing, isn't tthat what your parents always taught you? You can't have it all at once. Hell, I'm 46 and just got the yota of my dreams last year!
The following users liked this post:
MrJebadia (01-08-2020)
Old 03-02-2009, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, it is. We all are impatient at that age. For some of us, we never out grow it....lol. Just keep slowly building it. 1 step/mod at a time. As you complete each mod, and drive it for awhile, you begin to think 'bout other mods that 1) compliment what you've already done, or 2) help steer you in another direction that you want to take with your truck, one that hadn't thought of taking. It also helps build anticipation towards the next mod.

Patience, my young friend!
Old 03-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by OremTacoNut
isn't tthat what your parents always taught you?
well damn if they weren't, lol

and most of the time the advice went in one ear and out the other... but I guess that's part of being young

Originally Posted by a4runnerfreak
Yes, it is. We all are impatient at that age. For some of us, we never out grow it....lol. Just keep slowly building it. 1 step/mod at a time. As you complete each mod, and drive it for awhile, you begin to think 'bout other mods that 1) compliment what you've already done, or 2) help steer you in another direction that you want to take with your truck, one that hadn't thought of taking. It also helps build anticipation towards the next mod.

Patience, my young friend!
lol, but growing out of it will be so boring! lol, I just need to settle down now with what I've got, and later on down the road get another vehicle that I can build up slowly and be strickly a trail rig

By no means people, don't let you think that this means I'm going to get rid of my truck or anything cause it's not realiable; oh no, I love this truck WAY to much to up and sell it; honestly right now it's about all I've got going for me (aside from my $1200 computer I just put together but that's my other hobby), and it means too much to me and has really been too good to me to give up on. I have a lot of memories with this truck from back in my "younger and dumber" days

Thanks a bunch guys!

Oh yeah, pics to come on the OEM suspention rebuild

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 03-02-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I turn 22 this Thursday; is this part of really growing up?
Dude I'm seventeen and I had the same problem the other day, I was like, man I'm gonna hit thirty and wonder what the hell happened, I hope I die before I get old..
Old 03-02-2009, 02:48 PM

Lol, at the "dumber" days......those you will NEVER out grow......!!!!
Old 03-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by a4runnerfreak
Lol, at the "dumber" days......those you will NEVER out grow......!!!!
lol, well I consider them the "dumber" days, cause you can only get smarter

well, for most...
Old 03-02-2009, 02:57 PM

HEY!!!!!! I'm 34, and I still resemble that remark.....sometimes.....

Last edited by a4runnerfreak; 03-02-2009 at 02:59 PM.

I feel for you too I turn 20 in less than 2 weeks now and boy does time go by fast.

But I hope u have better luck saying you wont sell your truck than I did. I sold my pickup in January and It being my first vehicle and all...talk about memories. ha Ive learned that sometimes you just have to sacrifice even when its the last thing you wanna do.

Whenever your ready to sell that white lovely, let me know.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flash319
Whenever your ready to sell that white lovely, let me know.
ha, in Ontario? you realise I'm down in the penis of North America, right?

that's quite the drive for just a truck

but don't count on it happening any time soon

in the case later on down the road if I do go to sell the truck, I would want nothing more for it to end up in the hands of another true Toyota junky; someone I know will get as much enjoyment out of it that I have, and will take good care of it (god knows I didn't in my "younger and dumber" days, lol, but I'm easier on her now)

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 03-02-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Trustyrusty
I was like, man I'm gonna hit thirty and wonder what the hell happened, I hope I die before I get old..
Try 40.

The trick is to keep up with the "today I can do this, and tomorrow I can do that", and never run out of this'n'thats.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:09 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
hey trav, dont let it get ya down... ive given up on my hope for getting my 4wd back for now... or sliders... or a motor swap... ot a LT suspension...

but those things still keep me interested in modding my truck...
i just bide my time with little odds and ends like repainting my grill or painting my rims... or the IFS brace... and soon im going to start repainting my dash...

like i said, little cheap things keep me interested in my truck...

just do some of those until you get enough time to take a "vacation" and do all those things...
Old 03-02-2009, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by space-junk
hey trav, dont let it get ya down... ive given up on my hope for getting my 4wd back for now... or sliders... or a motor swap... ot a LT suspension...

but those things still keep me interested in modding my truck...
i just bide my time with little odds and ends like repainting my grill or painting my rims... or the IFS brace... and soon im going to start repainting my dash...

like i said, little cheap things keep me interested in my truck...

just do some of those until you get enough time to take a "vacation" and do all those things...
oh how I would love a "vacation", lol

thanks Troy
Old 03-02-2009, 04:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not if it's in good condition. minimal rust Toyota pickups around here usually sell for 6 grand plus. For that sort of cash, I would fly somewhere, and buy one.

As for the whole "being mature about your vehicle" thing, I totally get that. I bought my Supra when I turned 21, sunk probably another 15 grand into it, then came to realize that I have better things to do with my time and money. I'm 24 now, decided to devote my time to finishing my engineering degree rather than build up another vehicle. I really want to do a 1UZ pickup, but it can wait.....
Old 03-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by annoyingrob
Not if it's in good condition. minimal rust Toyota pickups around here usually sell for 6 grand plus. For that sort of cash, I would fly somewhere, and buy one.

As for the whole "being mature about your vehicle" thing, I totally get that. I bought my Supra when I turned 21, sunk probably another 15 grand into it, then came to realize that I have better things to do with my time and money. I'm 24 now, decided to devote my time to finishing my engineering degree rather than build up another vehicle. I really want to do a 1UZ pickup, but it can wait.....
well I just gotta get outta my sister's house

she's being nice enough to give me a room for $300 a month, but she plan's on having another little one soon, and I don't know if I could put up with that, lol. plus, she'll need the room ya know

the way I see it, this truck is paid for, and I can get it into perfectly good reliable condition A LOT cheaper than any new vehicle would be, so in the end I save anyway plus I get to keep my Toy it's a win-win! and well before a year I'll have saved up to get out on my own then the real money headaches start, lol

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 03-02-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:05 PM

Yeah, cheap reliable vehicles will put you miles ahead of a lot of people. I've seen tons of people 18-25 go put themselves 20k in debt over a car loan. It's just not worth it. By the time they've paid it off, they could have bought a cheap car, and then put a down payment on a house.

I like to promise myself that once I have my own garage, then I'm allowed to do another build-up.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by annoyingrob
Yeah, cheap reliable vehicles will put you miles ahead of a lot of people. I've seen tons of people 18-25 go put themselves 20k in debt over a car loan. It's just not worth it. By the time they've paid it off, they could have bought a cheap car, and then put a down payment on a house.

I like to promise myself that once I have my own garage, then I'm allowed to do another build-up.
my thoughts EXACTLY!

every's like "well your new job's steady, why don't you just go buy a new car?"

well living in a house with two other people that drive, I'm the 3rd car, and there's hardly enough room for all of us now, so there would be no way for a forth car, and like I said above, I'm not selling my Toy anytime soon and I'm not going to park my truck and leave it torn apart in my sister's back yard, lol, I don't think she would go for that anyway; her or her fiance (her fiance's cool though; at least him and I get along; we're a lot alike, accept for he's hobby is weapons instead of Toyotas, or anything else automotive for that matter I showed him how to change his air filter on his Honda the other day... and he's a 25yo ex-marines)

lol, when I get my own place, and get settled in with it, and get a pay-raise , then I'll buy something new, probably a brand new Tacoma , and tear the 91 to bits, SAS her, v8 swap, anything I can think of, knowing that I can jump in my NEW truck on Monday morning and go to work. My issue then will be keeping my hands off the Tacoma... cause that's just the kinda person I am, lol

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 03-02-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:51 PM

ha, in Ontario? you realise I'm down in the penis of North America, right?

but don't count on it happening any time soon

in the case later on down the road if I do go to sell the truck, I would want nothing more for it to end up in the hands of another true Toyota junky; someone I know will get as much enjoyment out of it that I have, and will take good care of it (god knows I didn't in my "younger and dumber" days, lol, but I'm easier on her now)
I have inlaws in Titisville. I could fly down and drive it back. All the Yota's in Canada are rusted out (except B.C. trucks). I am looking to get a rust free extra cab really but any rust free 22re truck will do, running or not.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Flash319
I have inlaws in Titisville. I could fly down and drive it back. All the Yota's in Canada are rusted out (except B.C. trucks). I am looking to get a rust free extra cab really but any rust free 22re truck will do, running or not.
Check out Yukon trucks, its amazing, they don't use salt (use gravel) and thus no rust. Victoria the best place to buy rust free trucks in BC.

Quick Reply: I had a reality check today about my pickup...