Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

i got pulled over for tinted lights and big tires :(

Old 04-17-2010, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry i got pulled over for tinted lights and big tires :(

the cop said he couldn't see my turn signals and i have no reflectors and then hes like you need mud flaps and fender extenders

he gave me a warning and said i need to fix everything in 14 days

anything cheep i can buy for the fenders so they pisoff?

i got 33s 12.5s
Old 04-17-2010, 11:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There was a thread warning about this... I'm getting yosemity sam mudflaps for my truck....
Old 04-17-2010, 11:07 AM

its a legit reason, all be it a dick move. I stopped and got some cheap gardening divider and bolted it onto my wheel wells. ugly as sin but they left me alone until the hennemen package showed up. as for your lights you should cut out a portion of the tint to expose the white part of the reverse light, should give enough "reflector" to be legal. plus you only need mud flaps if you have a certain amount of tire showing beneath your truck, check your local laws and find out the limit.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Banned

In WA we need to have mudflaps that cover the top half of the tire.

Or hang a minimum of the center of the axle, whichever makes more sense
Old 04-17-2010, 11:32 AM

Look at the laws the reflector is a judgment call. Here in OK we have to be able to see the reflectors from so many ft away. My car is tinted and you can still see the red so its actually still legal. Now to dark is all up to the cop. Just cut out a piece on the red side of the tail light. Not the clear part on the back up. It says it has to be RED! Also for the tires use the garden strips they work good until u get something else. They are cheap and bend when you are offroading. For mud flaps use and old tire tube of your liking. if nothing else use some wire or something like that if you have to stiffen them up. If you dont like that... make a mud flap that hooks up to your 2" receiver and then you can pull them off when you go offroading.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I got nailed for no flares, used some lawn edging and then trimmed it down after I showed the law. Cost = $0
Old 04-17-2010, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Oregon I got pulled over for having my license plate in my windshield (after explaining that I was actually on my way to get some taps to install it on my bumper) the officer (as an afterthought) said I needed either bigger mud flaps (I had factory 4runner ones then) or fender flairs apparently my 33 13.50's stick out too far. Since then the only change I have made pertaining to this is removing my mud flaps entirely (the law states that I must have mud flaps behind all wheels where the fender is greater than 27 inches off the ground) I believe mine is 25 or 26 inches off the ground so I have added a tape measure to my tool box to prove this...... As far as the tinted tail lights I didn't have them then but now do. I did a light dusting of black spray paint over my stock tail lights but they still shine as bright as before so i have had no problems there....yet lol Really the best thing to do is find out what your local laws are knowledge is the best tool
Old 04-17-2010, 12:52 PM

vip or auto zone has those ty looking rubber flares that i think just come in a strip that could get you by for cheap if it hasnt been said.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rubber floormats work decent. I just stapled them to the inner fender. As stated before, ugly as sin.
Or drop a little bit of money and get some jungle fender flares. Or suck it up princess and hand over your first born and get some bushwackers.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:26 AM
Banned

For mud flaps. Bedliner and zipties

Old 04-18-2010, 06:11 AM
Contributing Member

NOT trying to be a dick.... are the "un-seeable" turn signals just something the "cool kids" are doing??

do they have ANY functionality or just fashion??

Repo
Old 04-18-2010, 07:27 AM
pwd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just fashion, I asked the same thing on another forum. I can't image having floor mats for mud-flaps haha, that would look so ghetto. I agree with having mud-flaps though. I'd be pissed if I just washed my car and someone sprayed mud all over it, not to mention it prevents some flying stones...

Last edited by pwd; 04-18-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:06 AM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Bigbluepile has a nice quick disconnect mudflaps in the cheap mod thread. Check em out, they would be good so you can pull em for offroad shenanigans.

Seen some flares on CL for a Toyota for $100, if you want nice formed ones.

If the cop that pulled you over is a local cop, he will be watching out for you unless you get those reflectors and lights figured out. Good luck.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Mud Flaps:

Yes you have to have fender extensions if ANY of the actual tread is out side the factory fender. There's lots of guys on here selling off Bushwacker flares. I just picked up a complete set for a swell price. In WA there is an actual degree measurement that has to have coverage, IIRC it's 15 degrees forward and 75 degrees aft. Also, if your bumpers are too high you can get hit too. Keep in mind that WA registers Toyota trucks/4Runners/Jeep Grand Cherokees/Cherokees as PASSENGER VEHICLES. Ask me how I know. Check your registration to see. Because of that, bumper height is 24" in the front and 26" in the back to the bottom of the bumper...IIRC. Look it up on the WA DOT or Legislative page to read it yourself...

The State Patrol here doesn't give to lug nuts for where your vehicle is registered and will let you know that. I've been blatantly told that I am targeted simply because of my rig.

Last edited by BigBluePile; 04-18-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:23 AM

The State Patrol here doesn't give to lug nuts for where your vehicle is registered and will let you know that. I've been blatantly told that I am targeted simply because of my rig.

Lets try this again.... Worthless pigs, go bust some tweakers!
Old 04-18-2010, 09:31 AM

While LEOs do serve a purpose,it would be nice if they werent tax collectors (revenew generators) with guns.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by AzStorm
While LEOs do serve a purpose,it would be nice if they werent tax collectors (revenew generators) with guns.
Nicely put, perfect...
Old 04-18-2010, 09:52 AM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by CrazyEye

Lets try this again.... Worthless pigs, go bust some tweakers!

While you are entitled to your opinion, you have been asked previously by other members in another thread not to express it in such a disrespectful way.

LEO's enforce all laws. Yes, there are bigger fish to fry. Still, that term will get you know where.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:59 AM

Can you really complain about them not wanting you to cover your tailights? Particularly in a place that gets fog so dense you cant see the front of your truck? Doesn't seem all that smart to me.

One other thought i'll throw out for Washington Law. I had a prosecuter show me a law book one day (yes right before my time in Oly, Wa. court...). Essentially Washington has a law on the books that states that no part of a vehicle which serves a primary function (lights, suspension, tires, windows, etc.) may be modified unless the modification has been DOT approved.

That essentially makes any modification to your lights illegal, regardless of how well they work. Same reason people are getting tickets for their HID conversions, non-DOT approved fog lights, etc.

The only reason more people don't get ticketed is because they don't have time to catch us all...

My 2 cents.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

They also aren't paid to pick and choose which offenses to enforce. Yes,some laws are ticky tack but at least you can fix your problem with relative ease and I don't like being stuck behind a truck with no flaps since they aren't friendly to low riding car's windshields.

Also tinted lights can be hard to see by other drivers so both your offenses can affect others which the police will enforce.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: i got pulled over for tinted lights and big tires :(