Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

i could kill!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i could kill!!

Had a very very very bad day with the truck today. so as you may already jnow my starter went out last week so i ordered a new one, so i put it in today and still doesnt ing work just the same clicking noise. its not the starter not the battery, the cables are clean and corrosion free...WTF!??!!!! i really dont wanna take it to a shop to have them look at it and i cant really afford it. any one know what the in deal is?

O and to top off a the day, on my way home the battery got loose and was grinding on a belt pully so it over heated
Old 05-19-2008, 02:59 PM

Id try replacing the cables. I had the same problem. I cleaned all the grounds and contacts on mine and it was still clicking. Also it could be a solenoid perhaps? i know on mine that there was no solenoid so i hooked my jumper cables right up to the starter itself. Positive clamp on the positive feed bolt on the starter itself and ground the negative clamp on the frame and hook the other ends up to a running vehicles battery. If it starts this way its something between the starter and the battery. I ended up getting the right guage wire and bulk copper lugs for the ends. It was like 5 bucks and its starts better than ever now
Old 05-19-2008, 03:58 PM

Replace the damn cables. If it isn't the cables then give me your truck
Old 05-19-2008, 04:17 PM

Here's what it took to fix mine. Go to the what if it's not the solenid section. I did'nt use a kit just some junkyard parts. But starts every time now.
Jim

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#OtherOptions
Old 05-19-2008, 05:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Replace your battery cables, I had the same problem your having on my 84 4Runner, i knew the battery was good and the cables looked good on the out side but i replaced them anyway and that solved my problem, and now it starts every time.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i had the problem just like everyone else. We ended up buying a $20 Painless HotShot from www.summitracing.com and wired it up. Very easy to do.

The factory starter relay becomes "clogged up" and has too much resistance. This bypasses the stock relay and uses its own starter relay to start the vehicle.

I would highly reccomend this.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:56 PM

K ill pick up some cables tomorrow. just at any auto parts store right?
Old 05-20-2008, 06:31 PM

i should probably check my self into a mental institution for reason of reatrtedness. i being my smart self didnt plug in that othr wire when i put the new starter in. yes i know im a dumbass lol. but i think i may have blown a fuse or somethin. when i was tryin to start it alot with the bad starter the clicking boise would come from somethin behind the glove compartment. i was drivin today and the speedos goin nuts and at one point the turn signal started goin off???!!!
Old 05-20-2008, 06:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thats weird but it started???

i just had a weeklong battle to get a tranmission out..dont feel so bad
Old 05-21-2008, 05:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like you got more trouble than a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

How does leaving the start wire disconnected make the speedo and turn signals malfunction?
Old 05-21-2008, 05:52 AM

I dont think it s that. theres a weird kinda ticking noise coming from behind the glove, its just random ticks to, ar first i thought it was just with every bump ijn the road, but its jsut totally random
Old 05-21-2008, 07:24 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Make sure the engine block is grounded properly (Backside of the valve cover is a 12 inch long 10 gauge black wire I think)
Old 05-21-2008, 08:18 AM

And upgrade it to a larger gauge.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:19 PM

Its not a could anymore its i am GOING to kill, something or someone. every electrical thing in the truck is now goin off on its own free will. i think it has somethin to do with fuses cyuz the turrets happens when the clinkin comes from behind the glove. it got so bad that i turned it off and tried to start it again and it sounded like some kind of seing animal, when i would put the e brake in, it would die. i didnt do anything and it just started runnin fine and i drove home anyone ever had problems like this?!!
Old 05-23-2008, 05:29 AM

Rule of thumb (hard learned, BTW): very weird electrical behavior is likely caused by grounding issues, either a bad ground (leading to current finding 'other' paths to ground) or a ground fault.

I suspect the former.

Start with the basics, simply check the quality and continuity of every ground wire in the truck: head, block, body to frame, battery to truck, etc. Just because something looks good does not mean it will not go ohmic when it tries to carry current, so put a load on it (like headlights) and check for voltage drops. If you find a ground that measures any significant voltage across its start and finish (or from the thing it is bolted to on one end, to the thing it is bolted to on the other) under load, you found a problem.

It is likely something simple. Start working the problem via the basics.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 05-23-2008, 08:12 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The clicking sound is a relay getting intermittent signal. I know you have a fuel pump relay back there, not sure what else, though. I'm not familiar enough with your year.

The fact that is clicking would atleast mean it's working. But, with the intermittent voltage it may burn out from the voltage stress. I'd find that ground/positive short wherever and whatever it is.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:25 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
This is all I can come up with in the way of diagrams, for now

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...94electron.pdf

Likely you are getting intermittent voltage to the ECU (controlling speedo/speed sensor, starter circuit) in addition to everything else. Everything else, meaning, not everything is connected to the ECU; lights, body electrical, etc. I'd start tracking down the bad connection between the battery and the main EFI relay/fuse box.....after you've checked everything suggested thus far.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:35 PM

YEP! it was the ground, ripped rigth outta the terminal. i stripped some more platic off and clamped it back down. havent test driven it yet. but since yall were sayin it mite be the ground and the ground was fd up, im guressing thats what it was. gonna test it 2moro.

Thanks guys
Old 05-24-2008, 05:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good that you found it, or at least the majority of it. Bad grounds can do the weirdest things you can possibly imagine. Driving down the highway and the trans decides to shift to 2nd? Sure! Convertible top decides to close on it's own? Seen it. Tires go flat overnight? Well, not quite but you get the idea!!

Post up with your findings.

Quick Reply: i could kill!!