Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

How is your first gen 4runners exhaust pipework? Pics?

Old 06-26-2014, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is your first gen 4runners exhaust pipework? Pics?

Hey YT. Im finally beginning to dig into my 4runner(89) again after sometime now and Im thinking of starting off with my exhaust. I only have it stock till the cat and it cuts off afterwards. I remember having a problem driving with the back window open and it seems like all the exhaust would just come back into the truck through the back window. Lame. So I was thinking of dumping it out the side like it is stock but Im wondering if anyone on here has found a better way to keep it out of harms way and also keep it from seeping back into the cab. I plan on ditching the hardtop and going full time with a soft top. In Miami I feel like I can easily get away with that. I would also like to keep things quiet so I probably wont be choosing any flowmaster 40 series and recommendations for a quiet exhaust are welcome.

Last edited by StangBanger; 06-26-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:07 AM
FGZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know 22 pages is a lot, but check out this thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...r-yota-205062/

I really wish there was an aftermarket pre-bent exhaust system for the 1st gen 4Runner but I haven't found one yet
Old 06-27-2014, 05:41 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by StangBanger
... I remember having a problem driving with the back window open and it seems like all the exhaust would just come back into the truck through the back window.
I have it stock blowing out the left side and still exhaust gets blown into rear window, even if it's only cracked open a little. May change if you have top off. Other option may be to have "spoiler" to send high pressure down the glass.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:16 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Crack the window it sucks in the exhaust.

I hear tell with the top off it is no longer a problem.

I just go to Napa every second spring and say give me a exhaust system.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:18 AM

Go to rockauto.com and order the factory exhaust plumbing replacement that comes out behind the driver rear tire. Order the stock cylindrical muffler, weld it up, and you should be good!
Old 06-27-2014, 09:35 AM

PO on my runner had the exhaust dumping right before the rear axle under the truck. This was a nightmare and cracking the rear window was unbearable.

When I replaced the exhaust I had it dump out behind the left rear tire, like stock. Most of the time I can crack the rear window and nothing comes in. I notice exhaust very rarely in city driving, and never on the highway.

As for a muffler I have the Magnaflow 18" (11255) and I love the tone, especially after it broke in. It's not "super" quiet, but I also have a header and a spun high flow cat (Thunderbolt 415225) With a stock header and normal high flow cat I'm sure it would be considerably quieter.

Not sure what the rockauto setup costs, but I think you can't wrong if you ebay the magnaflow and cat, and then have a muffler shop bend tubing and weld it up for you. This ran me about $250 total.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by FGZ
I know 22 pages is a lot, but check out this thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...r-yota-205062/
will do. thanks for the info

I really wish there was an aftermarket pre-bent exhaust system for the 1st gen 4Runner but I haven't found one yet
Same here...

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
I have it stock blowing out the left side and still exhaust gets blown into rear window, even if it's only cracked open a little. May change if you have top off. Other option may be to have "spoiler" to send high pressure down the glass.
yeah but i really dont see that spolier happening..

Originally Posted by Roark
Go to rockauto.com and order the factory exhaust plumbing replacement that comes out behind the driver rear tire. Order the stock cylindrical muffler, weld it up, and you should be good!
sounds expensive..but ill look into it.

Originally Posted by andykrow
PO on my runner had the exhaust dumping right before the rear axle under the truck. This was a nightmare and cracking the rear window was unbearable.

When I replaced the exhaust I had it dump out behind the left rear tire, like stock. Most of the time I can crack the rear window and nothing comes in. I notice exhaust very rarely in city driving, and never on the highway.

As for a muffler I have the Magnaflow 18" (11255) and I love the tone, especially after it broke in. It's not "super" quiet, but I also have a header and a spun high flow cat (Thunderbolt 415225) With a stock header and normal high flow cat I'm sure it would be considerably quieter.

Not sure what the rockauto setup costs, but I think you can't wrong if you ebay the magnaflow and cat, and then have a muffler shop bend tubing and weld it up for you. This ran me about $250 total.
Sounds more like it..Ill look into this and the rockauto option and see where that takes me..Thank you all for the advice. Ill put up some pictures of whatever i do.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:28 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
The optional rear wind deflector that's been on my truck since new is the best way to keep exhaust out of the rear window. It keeps airflow going down past the window so you can open it a few inches and not get any fumes. Also keeps the rear window a lot cleaner.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jim G.
Attached Thumbnails How is your first gen 4runners exhaust pipework? Pics?-deflector.jpg  

Last edited by jgrant721; 07-01-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:50 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by jgrant721
The optional rear wind deflector that's been on my truck since new is the best way to keep exhaust out of the rear window. It keeps airflow going down past the window so you can open it a few inches and not get any fumes. Also keeps the rear window a lot cleaner.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jim G.
+1.
There you go... "Deflector" I called it the "spoiler" by mistake ^^
Old 07-01-2014, 12:37 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Once the top is off. you no longer create the vacuum inside the cab.

yes you can put a spoiler on. But also, if you open your wing windows ( if equipped ) they will blow the gas fumes out. cant have any other window open except the wings though.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by jgrant721

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jim G.
Good one. But I haven't seen those for first gens. I see your attached picture is an older model.

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
+1.
There you go... "Deflector" I called it the "spoiler" by mistake ^^
I kinda figured you were talking about this.

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
Once the top is off. you no longer create the vacuum inside the cab.

yes you can put a spoiler on. But also, if you open your wing windows ( if equipped ) they will blow the gas fumes out. cant have any other window open except the wings though.
I know it's all good with the top off but it's rainy season here in Miami. Tops on for now. I do have the triangular windows and they do help but they do not eliminate it. And I like your runner. Looks nice plus I'm a mustang fan as well. In case you haven't noticed from the name I chose here. Any pictures or mods to your garage queen?

Thanks again everyone that chimed in to help.

Last edited by StangBanger; 07-01-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:07 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by StangBanger

sounds expensive..but ill look into it.
stock replacement exhaust, like a bosal, is fairly inexpensive. i think they all bolt together and no welding needed.

the key is really to have the exhaust exit the side of the vehicle, as far out from under the rig as practical. on my old k5 blazer i had issues with the diesel exhaust coming in the back window with my under-rig exhaust. even had issues with the top off because draft is draft and you'll always have it even with the top off. only solution for me was to route the exhausts out the side, so the flow exits the vehicle's airflow bubble. same goes for 4runners.

also, if you're doing custom exhaust and rerouting the piping to tuck it up for max clearance, you may want to make sure you leave room for anything else you're planning to change under the rig. would suck to setup an exhaust and then find out you need to move it when you change up shocks position or swap to a different style center crossmember.

flowmaster 50 is supposed to be quieter exhaust with "that sound". i chose a magnaflow turbo muffler instead because it's not a diverted flow muffler...and was cheaper - basically just a big cylindrical muffler that you can see straight through. it's MUCH quieter than a flowmaster even though it flows better, but throatier and slightly louder than stock.

good luck!
Old 07-05-2014, 09:52 PM

Thanks highonpottery. I've seen those around. I'll look into those. What diameter is recommended for my 89 3.0?