Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

How would one remove the rusted spare?

Old 07-14-2008, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How would one remove the rusted spare?

Trying to figure out how in the world the PO's got the spare down, it's clearly used.

I tried and almost snapped the tool. Ill try spraying it again with that good stuff (the name escapes me)

Any one had any success in removing it AND getting in back up.

I take frequent trips to the middle of nowhere, and I no longer have AAA, so a spare is useful.

TIA.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cut it down, the assembly is probably froze up.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 24Runna
Trying to figure out how in the world the PO's got the spare down, it's clearly used.

I tried and almost snapped the tool. Ill try spraying it again with that good stuff (the name escapes me)

Any one had any success in removing it AND getting in back up.

I take frequent trips to the middle of nowhere, and I no longer have AAA, so a spare is useful.

TIA.
PB blaster..... or you might have to cut it off if its rusted good
Old 07-14-2008, 08:37 AM

I had to cut mine off as it was way to rusted
Old 07-14-2008, 08:38 AM

I was able to unbolt the hoist and then take the pins out and turn it by hand. Then I was able to use PB blaster on the hoist - broke it free then lubed it up with some heavy duty Lucas grease.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:41 AM

I have good used units for sale if anyone is lookin
Old 07-14-2008, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by wardriver
I was able to unbolt the hoist and then take the pins out and turn it by hand. Then I was able to use PB blaster on the hoist - broke it free then lubed it up with some heavy duty Lucas grease.
You could maybe cut one link out of the chain, then remove the hoist and break it free. I like that idea, you did ask about getting it back up didn't you.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:03 AM

Once I had the tool kit parts together and inserted into the spare wheel carrier I hit it with a 10 lb sledge to break it loose. After that I could lower the spare, at which point I took the old spare wheel carrier off and installed a spare wheel carrier from a new tundra.

If you want to reuse the old spare wheel carrier you will want to get the rust off and then lube it profusely in order to be able to use it on demand (by the side of the road).
Old 07-14-2008, 10:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The newer spare tire carriers use a cable instead of a chain. Toyota changed them because the spares were getting stuck. Just be sure to lower the spare twice a year so this wont happen again.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:45 AM

Cut it with a sawsall. Get a used one and bolt it in.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by 89dlx
be sure to lower the spare twice a year so this wont happen again.
and lots o grease! your choice of color
Old 07-14-2008, 11:02 AM

So it is a chain then? I think Ill cut a link off, and do like wardriver did, or get a used one off of dirtoyboy.

How much you want for one?
Old 07-14-2008, 11:15 AM

Which vehicle are we talking about here? The '95 4Runner in your signature? If yes, then it is already a steel cable if it came factory with 31" tires. It should still be cable if it came stock with 225/75R15's too. But there IS a difference in how the linkage works. I found this out while replacing the rear bumper center section of a 4Runner. I was confused about having to specify tire size when I ordered the bumper, but after removing the bumper I now see why. With the 31" tire option, you do not have the clearance to run the hooked rod straight back to the hoist assembly. Instead, the rod goes in at an angle (off to the driver's side IIRC), and there is a u-joint there, and a shaft that runs to the hoist. If you have this setup, the u-joint might be frozen up.

If your vehicle came with 225/75R15's, then you have the longer hooked rod that runs straight into the back of the winch, in which case it is simply siezed up. You MIGHT be able to remove the 3 bolts holding the hoist on, but you will need to support the spare tire first so it doesn't come crashing down on you. It would help if you had a body lift to be able to reach those 3 bolts. They are only 12mm IIRC again, and they will likely snap. So, you may have to drill and tap the threads anyway.

In the meantime, check which style of hoist you have, and continue lubing things up. It may still have a chance in hades to break loose. Once it breaks loose, it should move quite nicely (if it's a cable hoist). You do NOT want to remove a cable hoist and replace it with a chain hoist. Chain hoists are even worse, but packing them with grease helps A LOT. I do not drop my spare tires twice a year, and once greased, I've been able to easily go a few years and still drop the tire no problem.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:20 AM
CJM

If you can get it down, go buy some heavy oil at a store and throw it in a bucket with the oil. It will work great afterwards.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:33 AM

Get it down and find a rear carrier from a >92. I can't stand those stupid under truck spares, ever try "hoisting it down" when your burried in mud LOL.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:36 AM

The rear carriers are nice, but they will require the holes drilled and extra bracing behind the body because it is lacking in the 4runners that did not come OEM with the swing-out carrier. He might be better off going with an aftermarket bumper that has a tire carrier on it. This is of course assuming we are talking about the '95 4Runner in his signature.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:44 PM

Thanks for the responses guys.

It came with 31's from the factory, and I have to go towards the drivers side and go to the u joint.

I'm gonna go take another look t it, maybe with pics.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Good luck! Mine wouldve snapped the tool. I just ended up cutting the whole thing out with a torch
Old 07-14-2008, 02:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My carrier is still under the truck. I was able to cut the chain and remove the tire. I don't currently have a spare but I have a tire plug kit and carry one of these:
Attached Thumbnails How would one remove the rusted spare?-compressor.jpg  
Old 07-14-2008, 03:11 PM

Success!!!

First off I tried to get the spare down like any normal person would do, no dice. Stripped the attachment piece (shaped like an L), so now I need a new one of those.

I first removed the pin that is no longer seen here. After that Take some vice grips and spin the bolt, and "twist" it out. It takes some patience.

After that get the bar out of the U-joint. Get a 12mm socket, and take the 2 bolts holding the u-joint thing-a-ma jig (for lack of better words), out. You may want to open it up to lube it, but I snapped the teeth off the gears so it was useless.

Take a small diameter phillips screwdriver and stick it in the hole and twist to the left to raise, the right to lower. After it starts to get easy, just do it with your hand. Spray some penetrating lubricant on the other u-joints.

After that get a new part, or lube the other and put it all back together.

And there you go!

WTF kind of spare is this? it was completely airless and had a nail in it.

Rattle can paint job on the spare rim. I was starting to sand it down to bare metal, but, then I decided it wasn't worth it.

Last edited by 24Runna; 07-14-2008 at 03:35 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How would one remove the rusted spare?