Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

how to rebuild automatic hubs

Old 10-23-2008, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to rebuild automatic hubs

i just got done searching and i couldnt find it i even looked on google how can this be done is there a write up on how to rebuild an add hub or am i screwed and just need to repalce it with a manual hub??
Old 10-23-2008, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can find some new they are just splined flanges or get locking (would save on parts wear)
Old 10-23-2008, 09:21 AM

Id go manual hub it would probably cost the same but its more reliable in my opinion
Old 10-23-2008, 09:27 AM

If you went to manual, it would extend the life of your CV's. Since they would only turn when you locked the hubs.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I didn't think there was much to "rebuilding" the auto's; I thought they were just a flange you bolt on that has a hole in the center with some splines on it that lock into the cv axel shaft, and it bolted up right where the manual's bolt to? And the bearings behind that of coarse...

but IDK, never messed with the autos myself...

Personally, I'd convert over to manuals if you can. Pick up a junkyard set, buy a used set off eBay, or even get some brand new ones and throw em on. The OEM Asians are a breeze to rebuild, I just did mine along with my front wheel bearings last weekend, and there's plenty of write-ups on the manuals. And yes, they do save your cv boots since they will no longer be spinning unless you lock the hubs in, which can also increase mpg as well (less drag from the drive-line)

It's also fun to be able to put your truck in 2wd low range I don't know why, it's not really usful, but meh, it's one of those "look what I can do" things, lol

But seriously, I have a question for you though... why are you wanting to "rebuild" them? Are your wheels not locking in with the drive-line anymore?

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 10-23-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
there's no reason to rebuild them...they're solid all the time, and don't lock or unlock. if they break you'll notice it pretty quick...
Old 10-23-2008, 01:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In fact, there is an "auto hub" separate from ADD. THey look like a manual hub body with no dial on the end cap.

There are three type of Toyota hubs:

ADD (very common on anything above the base models) consists of a flange and a cover. Vacuum operated on the axle tube, disconnects driver's side axle from the diff. "HUbs" are always locked. Read up here.

Name:  flange.jpg
Views: 2066
Size:  14.8 KB
**NOTE: they usually have a black one-piece metal cap over top of them,

Manual hubs. Base models got these, although they are now more desirable. You manually lock the axle to the hub, with a little red dial on the hub itself. Rebuild-able. They sell for less than $100 from a junk yard. Installed on to any ADD truck easily. Not sure if they will go onto an "auto hub" truck as easily.

Auto hubs. The black sheep. They break easy from what Ive heard, they are outrageously expensive to repair, and disengage a half turn of the axle when you change direction of travel (i.e. get stuck gooing forward, try to reverse). They re-engage after the half turn.

I have the ADD axle with manual hubs. I usually leave the hubs locked when there's snow on the gournd and the hub then acts the same as an ADD flange ("hub"). In the summer, I leave them unlocked until I need 4x4.

Last edited by Matt16; 10-23-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Matt16
In fact, there is an "auto hub" separate from ADD. THey look like a manual hub body with no dial on the end cap.

There are three type of Toyota hubs:

ADD (very common on anything above the base models) consists of a flange and a cover. Vacuum operated on the axle tube, disconnects driver's side axle from the diff. "HUbs" are always locked.

Manual hubs. Base models got these, although they are now more desirable. You manually lock the axle to the hub, with a little red dial on the hub itself. Rebuild-able. They sell for less than $100 from a junk yard. Installed on to any ADD truck easily. Not sure if they will go onto an "auto hub" truck as easily.

Auto hubs. The black sheep. They break easy from what Ive heard, they are outrageously expensive to repair, and disengage a half turn of the axle when you change direction of travel (i.e. get stuck gooing forward, try to reverse). They re-engage after the half turn.

I have the ADD axle with manual hubs. I usually leave the hubs locked when there's snow on the gournd and the hub then acts the same as an ADD flange ("hub"). In the summer, I leave them unlocked until I need 4x4.

wow... I never knew that

thanks for the info, I've been around TY for how long and I didn't know that, lol

good stuff man

btw, you appear to be missing some lug nuts
Old 10-23-2008, 01:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder

wow... I never knew that

thanks for the info, I've been around TY for how long and I didn't know that, lol

good stuff man

btw, you appear to be missing some lug nuts
Luckily, not mine. Yes, indeed, no lug nuts- but you don't really need them
Old 10-23-2008, 05:10 PM

I've been 'round Toyota 4x4's my whole life, and I have yet to actually see the "automatic" hub in person.....
Old 10-23-2008, 05:23 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
so, while on the talk of hubs, and not to try to hijack the thread, but, whats so great about the Aisin hubs versus Milemarker, or Superwinch, or Warn...

me and my dad had an argument about hubs today... he wanted to know what was so great about the aisin hubs over the others because, well warn at least, was the brand he used to use back in the 90's... all i could say was "well, they guys on Yotatech..." lol...
Old 10-23-2008, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by space-junk
so, while on the talk of hubs, and not to try to hijack the thread, but, whats so great about the Aisin hubs versus Milemarker, or Superwinch, or Warn...

me and my dad had an argument about hubs today... he wanted to know what was so great about the aisin hubs over the others because, well warn at least, was the brand he used to use back in the 90's... all i could say was "well, they guys on Yotatech..." lol...
Personally, I would say the ease of rebuild (there's lots of write-ups on these guys on the net, and although not that hard of a job in the end, they helped me out in the end with my first rebuild), reliable (who knows how many times they been engaged and beat on after almost 300k miles on my truck, and they still work like brand new after a fresh rebuild), availability for replacement parts/entire hubs (just go to a junk yard instead of forking over the cash for new hubs and rebuild kits every time, although I'll admit that's getting to be a harder find), plus, I like the retro OEM look

I would like to see some sort of study comparing maybe the lifetime and breaking force of each; that would be interesting.

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 10-23-2008 at 07:49 PM.