Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

How to identify the right OEM parts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 10:32 AM

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
How to identify the right OEM parts?

Hey guys, this might seem like a silly question but I run into this quite often when trying to search for parts online and was hoping someone could shed some light onto this subject.

I am about to replace the timing belt, water pump, radiator and all of the idlers on the front of my 3vze. Simple enough. I find the waterpump assy on toyotapartsoverstock com, and there are 3 different items with the same part number, all different prices. I see the reference numbers below relating to some vehicle specifications but I dont always know how to decipher those. Is there really a difference between these three? The prices suggest so, but its just really unclear to me which one I should get.

Any suggestions?

http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...rimLevel=18292

Here is another from camelback toyota: http://parts.camelbacktoyota.com/par...&siteid=214329

Where else should I be looking for OEM parts? I never enjoy looking for them as I always feel like I am going in circles.

Thanks guys, really appreciate you taking a look.

Last edited by mbomberz1; 08-03-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:58 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
There are different water pumps for different engines. The one with model code 22R# is for a 4 cyl, the one with VZN6# is for a 6-cyl.

Only it's not as simple as that; it depends (for some parts) on whether you have 4wd, and so on. So what do you do? Go to a site like http://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/ and enter your VIN; the VIN contains the information needed to match up the right part. Once you get a part number, you can go back to toyotapartsoverstock and search by part number (to get the drawing, or another price, etc.)

Still not sure? That's why your dealer has a counter-man. Go in there with a print of the drawing that (you think) shows the part you want. WRITE your VIN right on the print; don't make him ask for it, because hardly anyone remembers to bring it. That's his job, and most of them are pretty good at it if you give them enough information.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:00 AM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
you will probly have the best luck using your vin number to find parts. http://www.toyomotorparts.com/ allows you to search for parts this way. A lot of times the different parts have to do with when your vehicle was manufactured.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:16 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It really is good to make nice with your local dealer.

The thing I don`t like with online Toyota Parts vendors is if you want some special hardware the shipping is much more then the parts.

Then you get a part picked wrong or entered the system incorrect now the fun starts.

I just say this does not look correct no big deal credit entered try again to get the correct part.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:00 PM

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Thanks for the responses everyone. Those two sites were helpful with the VIN search. I wish I could make better friends with my dealer, but every time I have gone in they never want to negotiate or be too friendly unfortunately :/

One more silly question. As I already know the answer but.. for replacement parts on these idler pullys and water pump/timing belt. Would you only go Toyota OEM, or how do you feel about buying one of the many kits, from DNJ or the like. They have some kits that seem to include everything I wanted to do, but im hesitant to not use OEM.

There is actually a decent looking Aisin kit on Rockauto, but it has the oil cooler pipe on it. I guess I could just cap this off?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...id=509&jpid=17

Last edited by mbomberz1; 08-03-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:39 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
I recently ordered OEM shocks from toyotapartsoverstock. I included my VIN, and got an email back to call them, because my VIN didn't match my order. I called and immediately got a polite agent, who got me the right parts. I asked him how I could better decode the web site to get the right parts the first time in the future, and he said "Just call us. We'd rather you did that then send wrong parts back and forth." I was pleased with his helpfulness and knowledge, and there wasn't any phone menu hell to go through, either.

So, I'd suggest giving them a phone call and ask for help.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:02 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by mbomberz1
... I wish I could make better friends with my dealer, but every time I have gone in they never want to negotiate ...
Maybe you expect too much from your friends. They have rent to pay; they're never going to match an online price. My advice is to make their job as easy as possible; always provide your VIN, try to get the right name for the part, and provide a picture they can look at so they think you really DO know what you want. I think the dealer has a "walkup consumer" price, an "independent mechanic" price, and an "idiot ass****" price. You want to try for the second one.

... Would you only go Toyota OEM, or how do you feel about buying one of the many kits, from DNJ or the like. ...
Others may disagree, but I've never had significant trouble with after-market parts. Yeah, occasionally I'll get one that was probably returned to the store broken, and they didn't catch it before selling it to me, but that could even happen with OEM. So I'm perfectly happy getting non-Toyota kits.

There is actually a decent looking Aisin kit on Rockauto, but it has the oil cooler pipe on it. I guess I could just cap this off? ...
I would get the right pump; they're easy enough to find. Capping a coolant pipe at the bottom of the motor just sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...Would you only go Toyota OEM, or how do you feel about buying one of the many kits, from DNJ or the like. They have some kits that seem to include everything I wanted to do, but im hesitant to not use OEM.
Toyota uses a number of OEM manufacturers on their vehicles- aisin, taiho, mitsuboshi, denso, koyo, to name a few. When you pull your old water pump off, you'll probably see Aisin marked on it (the oil pump, manual hubs, brake proportioning valves, and others are also Aisin). Buying Toyota OEM (from a dealer or online dealer) ensures that you get the same part that was originally on your vehicle (sometimes they have parts warranties too). That said, sometimes you can find the same exact kit, just NOT in a toyota box, but you need to be sure what you're installing is exactly the same as what you removed. I've had bad luck with parts counters. They've ordered the wrong parts for my vehicle, so I've resorted to doing all the research myself and just giving them part numbers.

VIN is a good way to go. Sometimes your door jamb sticker will have the chassis and engine code variations that you're probably seeing in the online diagrams/parts listings. this might help.
http://www.toyotareference.com/truck

From experience, i definitely wouldn't go DNJ. I ordered (and returned) their gaskets for my engine rebuild, and it looked like a box of cheap fireworks

for things like waterpumps, save yourself the guesswork and go OEM. (I bought my Aisin kit off Rockauto, but definitely make sure you're ordering the right part! )

Last edited by LolaL; 08-08-2015 at 07:11 AM.