Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

How do you get the timing chain sprocket on the camshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking (GOT IT) How do you get the timing chain sprocket on the camshaft?

Here we go again. (1986 Toyota Pickup Xtra Cab SR5 5-Spd)
I got the head sitting on the block and the chain and cover installed ( not torqued yet )
But I cant seem to get the timing chain sprocket on the cam shaft.

Im about 1/4 inch low after rocking it and using a screwdriver put through the sprocket holes to slightly pull up on it. He is a pic of it.

I doubled check to make sure i had the Right block in the truck. According to 22re Perforance "1985-1995 22R / 22RE (late) block has the “boss” shown on the vertical arrow (but not drilled). Approx 11 1/8” from oil pan rail to cylinder head deck"

I did not count the timing chain links to make sure it had 96 links.

I hope i got the right one in the kit I ordered. I don't have a screwdriver long enough to try and push in the tensioner, But I will go to harbor freight after dinner ( If I have time) and pick up a long thin pry bar.

Any other Ideas? Will it make a difference if I torque down the head?

What if i unbolt the cam shaft and angle it to 45deg and slip it on then push the cam shaft back on to its seat/bearings and re bolt it down?

Last edited by Obmi; 10-22-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used a plastic stick. Solid about 24" and 1/2 by 3/4. But lots of things will work as well. You have to use it to push in the tensioner. Push it in at the drivers side through top of cover.
Others pull up on one side and then the other. Go back and forth and if you put enough "umph" it will let the sprocket come up and you can then get it on the cam.
Technique more than brute strength.
Harbor freight must love you. How many dollars have you dropped there with this project?
Old 10-21-2015, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by nordicwargod
How many dollars have you dropped there with this project?
In the last 90 days $271.86 on the card, but I know about 150 in cash.

A lot of metric tools (Most of mine were SAE) And I bought stuff I just wanted too like air compressor. I got tired of using canned air for my computer.

I'm thinking i just did not have the tensioner in compressed enough. I just did not want to force it.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:39 PM

I had the same problem. I put a breaker bar on the crank, and rocked the crank back and forth with one hand and while simultaneously pulling the sprocket up with the other. For some reason, it provided enough slack to slide the sprocket on.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Glad to see you got it on. I have a small screw driver and I stick the handle in the center of the camshaft pulley and using the metal part I use it as leverage to lift it up on to the dowel.

You have the notch at the 12 o'clock position, and there is enough slack in the chain that if you kind of / sort of turn the cam sprocket to the 11:55 position that it will give you enough slack to work it on to the camshaft.

Last edited by Terrys87; 10-22-2015 at 04:42 AM.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Glad to see you got it on. I have a small screw driver and I stick the handle in the center of the camshaft pulley and using the metal part I use it as leverage to lift it up on to the dowel.

You have the notch at the 12 o'clock position, and there is enough slack in the chain that if you kind of / sort of turn the cam sprocket to the 11:55 position that it will give you enough slack to work it on to the camshaft.
I haven't got it on yet. I just got back from HF. I'm going to make and eat some breakfast and relax for a bit then work all the methods above.
Like i said i was/am a little bit worried about using force. It came off easy I did not think it would be a fight to get it back on.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All you need to do it push that tensioner in about half way and there will be enough slack to get the sprocket on.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:01 AM

Angry

Fail

Still a no go. I almost got it when the Unbolted head tipped up about 1/4 in the back. I immediately let off pressure..

What if i tilted the head up at the back and tried slipping it on, then lower the head back down? would that trash my gasket?

or should I just keep prying using more force? I just don't want to break anything. I could just be babying it to much.

Should i try my old camshaft many this one is out of spec. Are camshafts head specific?

I don't know why every things so much harder for me then everyone else. The only easy thing was the hex head bolt under the thermostat on the intake manifold. ( It was already loose)

Last edited by Obmi; 10-22-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:44 PM

Success:

Did i buy the wrong size kit?
1 Timing Chain (96 links - single row)
• 1 Guide Rail Right (curved - metal)
• 1 Guide Rail Left (straight - metal)
• 1 Cam Sprocket (36 teeth)
• 1 Crank Sprocket (18 teeth)

Ok I got it on. I made the decision to get it on or distroy it in the processes.

What i ended up doing was getting it close enough to get the bolt and gear in and put some oil on the dowel and tighten the bolt to pull it up on the can shaft.

But its tight. I'm hopping that's normal. It's so tight I can't turn the crank shaft pulley by hand anymore. I don't have the rocker arms or spark plug in yet so i was just adjusting it by hand.
I thought it was the timing chain rubbing on the rubber guides coating. So I put some oil on it and it was about 50% easier to turn with a 24 inch wrench on the crank shaft bolt.

Does this look ok to your guys.
Drivers Side:

Passengers side:

Last edited by Obmi; 10-22-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
It looks right from the picture. Try putting a wrench on the crankshaft and easily turn it clockwise and see if it turns okay. I should not need a breaker bar or any strong leverage to turn it but it wont be easy as well.