Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

How do these numbers sound?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do these numbers sound?

Okay, I got a 88 4rnr, 22re, totally stock, the tires are 235/75/15's with a bit of an aggressive tread-kind of an all terrain type. the engine has 240k, it was 1 person owned , and driven about 10k per year.
I got it about a week ago, and have since done the Seafoam treatment to it, and cleaned the intake twice. then I put a bit in the tank.
I have cleaned the Throt body, was pretty pleased with myself about that, as I normally don't have the guts at all to work on my vehicles, but I am going to try with this 4rnr. You know, being a gun geek, I have allready some good cleaning stuff around, so I decided to use Break Free on it, plus lubed up the throttle mechanics with it a bit, totally smoothed the movement of that thing out as well.
Now I did put in a full tank of gas, but I have not emptied that out yet, so I can't give you those numbers yet.
Here are the other stats so far; Idles at 700rpm on the nose, needle does not jump or move at all. 3rd gear is exactly @3000rpm, at exactly 45mph.
4th gear is exactly 2500 rpm@50 miles per hour.
Engine temp, is below half a bit on the scale, but I have no idea what temps that is. The big plastic screw that has a spring under it, on the top right side of the efi head, is screwed down all the way tight. Don't really know that this screw effects idle or anything, but if I open it a bit, the idle goes up.
I'll try to get back with mileage numbers when the tank runs out, but how do these numbers sound so far?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rangerruck
Okay, I got a 88 4rnr, 22re, totally stock, the tires are 235/75/15's with a bit of an aggressive tread-kind of an all terrain type. the engine has 240k, it was 1 person owned , and driven about 10k per year.
I got it about a week ago, and have since done the Seafoam treatment to it, and cleaned the intake twice. then I put a bit in the tank.
I have cleaned the Throt body, was pretty pleased with myself about that, as I normally don't have the guts at all to work on my vehicles, but I am going to try with this 4rnr. You know, being a gun geek, I have allready some good cleaning stuff around, so I decided to use Break Free on it, plus lubed up the throttle mechanics with it a bit, totally smoothed the movement of that thing out as well.
Now I did put in a full tank of gas, but I have not emptied that out yet, so I can't give you those numbers yet.
Here are the other stats so far; Idles at 700rpm on the nose, needle does not jump or move at all. 3rd gear is exactly @3000rpm, at exactly 45mph.
4th gear is exactly 2500 rpm@50 miles per hour.
idle should be about 750... but doesn't sound far off, but how about 65 @ ? rpm in high gear?
Engine temp, is below half a bit on the scale, but I have no idea what temps that is.
1/2 scale is usually around 200-210 F, but that's not reliable by any means. I have a 185F thermostat in both of my trucks and one moves just barely over 1/4 of the gauge and the other moves to just under 1/2 scale.
The big plastic screw that has a spring under it, on the top right side of the efi head, is screwed down all the way tight. Don't really know that this screw effects idle or anything, but if I open it a bit, the idle goes up.
You have air conditioning? That screw affects how fast the idle is when you turn the A/C on.
I'll try to get back with mileage numbers when the tank runs out, but how do these numbers sound so far?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:04 PM

I do have a/c but it blows cool, not cold. should I open that screw a bit, will that make it blow colder? I thought that was a screw that went to something called a cold injector? I could not yet get on a highway, to get into 5th gear, so i don't know what that is like. what are some good numbers for 5th?
Is there a way to test how hot it is getting? Being here in Houston Tx., the most a/c'd city in the world, typically summer is from the beginning of may through october.

Last edited by rangerruck; 12-03-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:25 PM

If the vehicle isnt driven/used very much and its that old, I'd get some new refridgerant put in it.

Also, go to the dealership, and get a new thermostat. Then you know it will be at proper operating temperature. Might as well put new coolant in there as well(stick with toyota as well). Something like coolant which is a bit more money at the dealer might seem to be a rip off, but you wont have to worry about something like that for a few years, so why not?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:27 PM

hmm... may - october? when my a/c works, if it works, it's dehumidifying from about early December, through late November.

that 'screw' raises the idle to compensate for the drag on the engine when the a/c compressor is on.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:30 PM

I can't remember the name of the coolant i use, but it is typically the full strengh stuff, not the 50.50 stuff, and it is sold at just about every autopart store out there; can't remember the name, it's got the pic of the mountain range on front. No , not Coors or Busch...
Above dude; you must live in S. Florida, southern tip of Texas, or near the Equator.

Last edited by rangerruck; 12-03-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:37 PM

Above dude;
me? I live in California. 50/50 is all you should use, if you're an ethylene glycol sort of person.
First you tell me I have an obligation to Seafoam my truck without independent proof it works, and then you forget who I am?
...and I thought I drink too much (yes, I'm aware of it)....
Old 12-03-2008, 08:38 PM

I still love Seafoam, and would marry it, if I were more of a liquid carbon/petroleum based liquid life form...
Old 12-03-2008, 08:40 PM

hmm... you must be sulfric then.
makes more sense now.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:42 PM

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me, I gotta call that dude tommorrow, to see if he can give me some ind. testing results/info.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:43 PM

which dude?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:45 PM

that reasearch/technical advisor guy i talked to over there...
Old 12-04-2008, 08:37 AM

I can't remember the name of the coolant i use, but it is typically the full strengh stuff, not the 50.50 stuff, and it is sold at just about every autopart store out there; can't remember the name, it's got the pic of the mountain range on front. No , not Coors or Busch...
Above dude; you must live in S. Florida, southern tip of Texas, or near the Equator.
Do not use full strength stuff. It will corrode/wear down your cooling system a hell of a lot faster than the 50/50 stuff.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:51 AM

I still love Seafoam, and would marry it, if I were more of a liquid carbon/petroleum based liquid life form...
Thats quite alright, Mrs. Seafoam. Abe has a special pickle fetish.....
Old 12-04-2008, 06:53 PM

so then 50/50 is allways better to add, than guessing at full strenght coolant, and then adding water?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:34 PM

Use distilled water to mix with coolant. I have never heard of straight coolant wearing anything out, it just does not cool as well. Water, with a wetter added cools better than coolant, but provides no freeze protection.
(And no anti rust/ lube, unless your water wetter includes this.)