Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Horrible noise, relays clicking, What can it be?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horrible noise, relays clicking, What can it be?

I just drove 800 miles to my parents house in California. Halfway here a relay(s) under the dash started clicking and then a horrible "tire rubbing noise" started. As I slowed to a stop the rubbing noise ground down and ended with a giant clunk. It is continuing to do this. I thought it was all speedo cable noise. I just disconnected it and went on a test drive. To my horror the same thing happened. It only occurs when I'm slowing down. Front hub problems? I'm baffled. The relay's going crazy under the dash is the best clue I have.

Any ideas out there. The only thing I can think of is to tear apart the front drive train. Could it be the speedo gear in the tranny?? I don't think do. Did I say "help" yet??

Any and all advice welcome on this one!
Old 05-20-2009, 05:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nothing about the front end should cause relays under the dash to start clicking. Heck, the relays you have under the dash are for the running lights, fuel pump (circuit opening relay), turn signals / hazard lights, and maybe... well I can't think of any others at the moment.

I'd suggest taking pictures of the front end / suspension and posting them so we can see what you have happening, at least with the suspension.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:38 PM

Thanks man. I've been thinking hard on this one. Here's some more clues. It only happens when I'm decelarating. The relay starts clicking away, the grinding noise starts and then winds down until I'm stopped. Then ends with a giant clunk. Once stopped and after the big clunk, everything is completely normal. I'm wondering if the starter is somehow engaging and finally disengaging with the giant, huge, clunk.

That's my best guess at this point. I don't know anything about the hubs on this vehicle. But thanks for ruling those out.

In the meantime, I looked under the dash and there are a couple of suspecious looking things under there. What they go to I have no clue. The clicking is definately coming from under the dash and sounds like it's coming directly from under the speedometer.

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to figure out what the h e double toothpicks is going on!

Meanwhile, this is cramping my style for putting on my 33's next week and doing a 2" body lift!! Jah MON to that!!

I'll make sure and post what the heck this problem is when I get it figured out. Hopefully with the brains on this forum!!
Old 05-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
So the "tire rubbing" noise is from the outside or under the dash? So, you disconnected the speedo cable at the tranny and it's still making the noise?

Video would be awesome!
Old 05-20-2009, 06:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
btw, where in cali do your parents live? maybe if they're near I can drop by and help?
Old 05-21-2009, 08:00 AM

I'm up in the Bay Area near Danville. It's about 500 miles from Temecula but thanks for the offer.

I think I may have figured this one out. I got under there yesterday and started looking at the drive train. I think that's what is binding up as I decelerate. I noticed a big blob of black grease on the under side of the brake line going into the caliper. Below is a cv boot for the right axle. I think the cv is shot. The relay clicking is still a mystery and definately a reality. It may be the abs freaking out or perhaps some sort of sensor relay related to the front wheel drive. I'm not really sure. I'm going to take it all apart this weekend.

If that is indeed the problem I'll replace the front axles as they are only about $80 each. I'll put in new wheel bearings and do the front brakes at the same time.

But I am still mystified by that relay noise. I wonder if anybody else has had this problem?
Old 05-31-2009, 08:32 AM

Ok, here's the latest in this SAGA! I discovered that the right cv joint was spewing grease all over the place and figured that was the problem. Well, I couldn't get the right hub off the vehicle. My piece of crap manual was no help (haynes) so I decided to take it to my mechanic (he's really great). The whole front drive train was beat so I had him replace both cv axles, rotors, brake pads and all the bearings. It really drives great until the noise started up again! Here are the facts:

This metal on metal grinding noise only happens when I'm decelerating and ends with a giant clunk when I'm almost stopped. It only does this below about 30 m p h. It only acts up after I've been driving for about an hour. The grinding is preceeded by a relay clicking sound under the dash and speedometer. The grinding sound sounds like it is coming from the right front.

I don't know how those hubs engage but at this point I think the right hub is trying to lock for some reason. And that grinding sound is the splines grinding. Do they lock because of an electronic signal that comes from a relay? That's what I'm guessing.

The mechanic was unable to find a thing wrong and wasn't able to get it to act up and make the noise either. So I'm leaving for Phoenix this afternoon. I figure that I'm only going to stop about 4 times and since it only does it when I slow down/stop, I should get there ok.

Once back home I'm going to a dealer to find out exactly what relay's are located under the dash. It isn't coming from the fuse box next to my left foot. It's near the steering colum.

I'm still looking for info. Does anyone know what relays are located up under there? And what they do?
Old 05-31-2009, 08:50 AM

There is a relay under there that controls the ADD front end. Sounds like you have a problem there. To get you home I would look to the vacuum valves on the passenger fender wall. There is a blue and red one. There should be 2 hoses coming up to them from the front axel. With the truck running pull each one off and see which valve has vacuum sucking on it. Now take the hose for that one and connect it directly to full vacuum coming to the valse assy from the manifold. This way you are holding it out of 4x4 no matter what the relay is doing. Or just pull the electrical plugs off the valves. This may do the same thing.

It sounds like you front end is locking up for no reason because of the relay coming on. That relay comes on when the sensor on the transfercase closes when you pull the lever. I would check the wires going to that sensor.

I may be way off here but it is something to look at.

Last edited by Flash319; 05-31-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:04 PM

Thanks for the input. Turns out that you are right. I had a mechanic friend take the project on and he inspected absolutely everything. We finally pulled out the relay and no more grinding. Which, I'm convinced was the front right hub trying to lock up. So, I don't currently have 4wd with that relay out but the problem is temporarily ended. That was a tough one. Mostly becuse it was so intermittant. I'm going to check the switch and wiring to the transfer case. Now I have a classic chicken or the egg scenario. Is the relay simply bad or is there a short or ? causing the problem.

Thanks for the advice, it was defintely helpfull. :=)