86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Horizontal Shock in front end?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horizontal Shock in front end?

When I bought this truck and I took off the front skid plate, I found that there was a shock absorber mounted horizontally. What is it for? Do I need it if I am not off roading?
The shock was not mounted to existing holes in the frame, which to me means it has been jury rigged. Obviously this is not stock. Can I take it out?
Attached Thumbnails Horizontal Shock in front end?-20170206_092740.jpg  
Old 02-06-2017, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steering Stabilizer

The purpose of a steering stabilizer is to tame the action of trucks and SUVs with oversized tires. When you equip your ride with larger tires, you may become a victim of the “shimmy” effect or the “death wobble.” But, a steering stabilizer ends the common vibration problem that larger tires can cause, smoothing out your ride. So, you get improved handling and better ride quality.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:02 AM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
Its a 'steering damper', supposed to minimise steering wheel kick-back and front end shimmy.

Your truck, had one new from the factory, but someone changed it out for some aftermarket type.

You might do without it, but probably best to leave it, or restore the factory type damper.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:09 AM

Thanks Guys

Ok now I know. I appreciate the help and will look into keeping it stock with the appropriate parts.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:24 AM

If you have larger than stock tires the stock dampener will not do very well. As it it both won't last all that long, and won't stop the movement that much. Just something too think about. I have seen people running 2 when the tires get real big.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:25 PM

That was my next question

I found where the OME shock connects to the steering. There is a tapered hole in the tie rod just above where the present shock is connected, and a bracket welded (looks original) to the frame for the other end.
So It must have been that the OME shock did not do the job and the heavier shock would not fit in the original position. At present there are 30 x 9.5 x R15 tires on the truck. Is that why the larger shock?
I do not need the large tires, but I do want to keep my aluminum rims, so I guess I will have to replace them with an equal size tire.
I do have a slight vibration at around 65 mph, so maybe that shock has seen its day.
Do they make a heavier shock that will fit in the original position? Looks like it may be too close to the oil pan.
Attached Thumbnails Horizontal Shock in front end?-20170206_130221.jpg   Horizontal Shock in front end?-20170206_130148.jpg   Horizontal Shock in front end?-20170201_145443.jpg  
Old 02-06-2017, 02:27 PM

I have that size on mine and the oem toyota dampener works fine.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It concerns me that you keep using the word "shock;" make no mistake, this is not a shock absorber. A shock absorber will continually apply pressure to extend out and the weight of the vehicle prevents it from fully extending. If you were to put a shock in place of the steering stabilizer the gas pressure inside the shock would still try to extend out, and cause the steering to turn to the left, then you would have to overcome the internal gas pressure and compress the shock in order to go straight, or turn to the right. By contrast, a steering stabilizer is neutral; it resists movement inward or out.

I have had an OME (Old Man Emu) steering stabilizer on my 4Runner with 33x12.5 tires since roughly 2005 and it still seems to be holding up well. I got mine from TRD Parts 4 U, but I'm sure lots of other retailers sell it as well: http://trdparts4u.toyotaofdallas.com...dproduct=-7503