Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

home made "CBI" spare carrier

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
home made "CBI" spare carrier

I wanted to carry my spare with me but not in the back or under neath. so i made myself a hitch mounted carrier to look like CBI's. It pretty much looks the same and functions the same. even swivels out of the way of the tailgate when needed. I like it. Drilled a hole in the middle of the threaded piece the tire goes over and inserted a lock to keep theives at bay. there is a place to mount the high lift between the carrier and the tailgate which works great but my jack is OLD and needs a new paintjob before i leave it in the weather.
anyways, on to the pics.

advertisement for wabfab

side view

swivel/hinge assembly

assembly open, exposing second locking hole for when up.

laid out

lock and junk

I made everything on the carrier so if you have any questions feel free to ask. Criticize away
Old 02-04-2009, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks awsome. I've been toying with a similar idea for the taco. I love the way it looks with a tire on the rear. Anyone ever put a spare carrier like on a chevy blazer on one? I would like to see mine open to the side.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:03 PM

I LIKE this idea. What is the threaded handle at the bottom for? I was thinking about puting on a roof rack and carrying my spare there but this is a much better idea (don't trust the factory swing out for wheeling). I think I would mount it a little lower for more visibility through the rear window.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:09 PM

Location: Henderson, Nevada. Two traffic lights away from Vegas!
Thumbs up spare tire

That is wicked cool!!
I would totally pay you to have one built!! I have been thinking about getting a roof rack for my Four Runner but I dont have the stock one on my roof to begin with and most of the racks I have seen are made to bolt on a stock roof rack.
This is really a great idea and looks awesome!! Give me a price!! I want one!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by dewiseman
I LIKE this idea. What is the threaded handle at the bottom for? I was thinking about puting on a roof rack and carrying my spare there but this is a much better idea (don't trust the factory swing out for wheeling). I think I would mount it a little lower for more visibility through the rear window.
the threaded handle keeps the upper part from shaking. there's nothing wrong with the stock swing out. in fact, theres folks on here running 33-35" tires on their stock carriers with no problems.

Originally Posted by Stangmandan
This is really a great idea and looks awesome!! Give me a price!! I want one!
Thanks, if you were local i wouldn't mind making one but after shipping, you'd be better off buying one
Old 02-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dewiseman
I run a 35x12.5 on my stock swing out tire carrier and have zero issue's with it on or off road and it is still very tight to open and close no wear on the bushings. The stock catch is much stronger then you may think and holds the tire and frame very strongly with no noticeable movement at all even during odd off angle approach and or descents.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:59 PM

Location: Henderson, Nevada. Two traffic lights away from Vegas!
Originally Posted by 95RunnerSR5
the threaded handle keeps the upper part from shaking. there's nothing wrong with the stock swing out. in fact, theres folks on here running 33-35" tires on their stock carriers with no problems.

Thanks, if you were local i wouldn't mind making one but after shipping, you'd be better off buying one

Do they sell these?? I have never seen one before for a Toyota.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:29 PM

cbioffroadfab.com
Old 02-04-2009, 06:24 PM

I have been trying to figure out the best way to mount my spare tire for a while now, I like that design but I think I would try and make it so there is a reciever hole on the end in case I still need to use my trailer hitch, then it probably would not go down very far, got any ideas
Old 02-04-2009, 08:26 PM

So what if you want to use your hitch?
Old 02-05-2009, 05:12 AM

i rarely tow but if i do i just throw the carrier in the yard
Old 02-07-2009, 06:28 AM

ever thought about gently massaging this type of carrier to accomodate a Hi-lift/jerry can? Shift the tire mount to one side or the other (can clearance) and mount the lift horizontally? Just thinking about fun little, relatively inexpensive projects... Nice work!
Old 02-07-2009, 08:13 AM

it does have a mount for the high lift. it fits horizontally just above the license plate on the back side. but i dont have it mounted in these pics
Old 02-07-2009, 09:57 AM

That looks amazing, great job!!!! Do you have plans for it? I might have to try that over the summer.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by ACSig
Do you have plans for it?
i plan to have it carry my spare lol
Old 02-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I like it! I want to rig up a spare tire mount in my bed. And it has to have a big wing nut like yours

good job! I might have to build one for the girlfriends 4runner
Old 02-08-2009, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jay351
I like it! I want to rig up a spare tire mount in my bed. And it has to have a big wing nut like yours

good job! I might have to build one for the girlfriends 4runner
thanks! pm me later on if you want a materials list
Old 02-08-2009, 06:31 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
that came out pretty good. I would also suggest you either put a lock in the Hitch pin you pull to lower it or carry a couple extra pins with you. I came out from Home Depot to find mine pin pulled with the tire lowered to the ground. Luckily HOme Depot sold those pins.

Looks like your rear visibility sucks like mine does with tire filling the rear window, I would recommend a back up camera.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by 95RunnerSR5
i plan to have it carry my spare lol
Thanks that was really helpful....... smart@$* haha

I was talking about building plans, like dimensions, how you planned it out. Or did you just figure it out as you were building it?
Old 02-08-2009, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by ACSig
Thanks that was really helpful....... smart@$* haha

I was talking about building plans, like dimensions, how you planned it out. Or did you just figure it out as you were building it?
haha my bad it was late...i just went off of pictures from cbi's website. and figured out the rest but basically........

4ft of 2"x2" 1/4" thick square tubing
3ft 3" wide x 3/16 thick flatbar for the lower sides welded to the square tube for the hinge.
1" 1/4" thick flatbar for license plate and 1.5" 1/4" thick flatbar for highlift mount.
3/4" allthread to go through the center of the tire and four 3/8" pieces for the lug holes to sit on, a 3/4" nut welded to 3/4" wide flatbar for the "wingnut"
12"x12" 1/4" thick plate i used to cut two circles to hold the tire together with.

i did weld some small washers around the square tube that goes into my reciever hitch because it wobbled around a bunch and annoyed me. but i still had to put that u-bolt around it like everyone else that has one of these carriers

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Looks like your rear visibility sucks like mine does with tire filling the rear window, I would recommend a back up camera.
yeah i'm thinking about puttin a locking pin on the whole assembly or somethin cause someone could easily walk away with it. only about the top half of my tire is in the window so i can still see decently since i'm 6'1"

Last edited by 95RunnerSR5; 02-08-2009 at 07:08 AM.

Quick Reply: home made "CBI" spare carrier