Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

High beams suddenly stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 02:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
High beams suddenly stopped working

Had some heavy fog this morning and I was using my high beams when all of a sudden they just stopped working. The high beam indicator is working on the dash and my normal lights are working. I consulted the FSM but it more or less told me to check some continuity between some circuits. I would love to do that but I don't know where said circuits are located. Anybody have this happen before?
Old 10-22-2013, 03:36 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Sure, when the lamps burn out.

Unless you have a very early model-year truck, the power for high/low beams is switched in the switch on the stalk; no relay or other re-direction. You might have a bad switch in there (I imagine it doesn't get used much).

You can pull the connector for the switch, but if it was me I'd pull a lamp out and use a multimeter to see if I'm getting voltage at the lamp connector. If I got voltage, I'd then check the resistance of the lamp, and it's there right in my hand.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my 86 do something like this once, except it wasn't the high beams it was the low beams. It ended up being the regulator on the alternator.

I guess when the reg went out it blew the low beam filament since the high beams worked fine.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:02 PM

Have you checked the fuse?
Old 10-22-2013, 04:13 PM

I had this problem with my 93 pickup had no hi beam but when I would pull back the dimmer lever to flash the hi beams I would have the hi beams it turned out to be dirty contacts in the switch on the column, took it a part and cleaned and adjusted the contacts and it works great now. Hope this helps
Old 10-22-2013, 04:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Indeed. Clean the contacts. Easy peezy.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:40 PM

This happen to me once on my 89 v6 pickup. The head lights high would only work if you hold them forward. It ended up being The connector plug in the steering column was corroded.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Here is how I fixed mine. Also a good time to fix the horn connection while in there.

Copied...
MORE INFO>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...icator-229946/

The Light Assembly I had before was from an 86 and it has another plug my 88 didnt have. I figured it was for some option mine didnt have so didnt think much about it. The white plug is what I am talking about on an 86 in this picture.
Name:  LightSwitch86.jpg
Views: 2483
Size:  21.6 KB

Today I got to looking at it (the white plug) and it runs to the wiper handle and I am guessing it is to the delay in the handle. So I then decided to see what I could do about my original Light assembly.

I took the Steering Wheel off. I have had mine off before and have it snug but not so tight I need a Steering Wheel Puller. If you havent had it off, dont bang on it as it will bulge the Steering shaft. Go rent a puller from the parts store. It is free.

You will need to drop the lower plastic panel and I diconnect the dimmer switch and just let it lay on the floor. Remove the Steering Wheel and the covers to the steering column.

There are 4 screws that hold the Light Switch Assembly on. They are recessed. Then disconnect the black clip that keeps all of the wire bundeled to the column and 2 screws that hold the blue connectors to the black tabs /clip.
Name:  LightBracket.jpg
Views: 2577
Size:  19.4 KB

Once I had it off, I had to take 2 screw out that hold the hazard light switch to the assembly, and set it out of the way. I then had to remove the clear plastic cover so as I could use my wife finger nail file (yeah.. she liked that idea) and went over the little copper tips on the copper layers. Just a couple of times to help make a good clean contact. Then I hit with some WD-40.
Name:  Cleanedcontacts.jpg
Views: 2487
Size:  20.2 KB

Here is a good picture of the contacts that need cleaned and more info if someone needs it.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...t-work-100088/

Put it back togther and everything works great. The 86 and 88 Light assemblys do have different part numbers on them and they interchanged and it got me thru. But it is nice having everything working as it should.

I did take my passenger kick panel off and didnt see a relay box there. Not saying it isnt, I just didnt want to pull the ECM and since I was able to test with a good wiper delay switch, I didnt need to go that far into it.

Found another link to a headlight problem I just wanted to add.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...icator-229946/

Here is how I fix my horn issue.
Got the horn to working. I used a .22 shell to make the contact to the steering wheel. I found this on Yotatech and like it better then how I used to fix my horns. I have it listed on my 88 4Runners build thread for more details about getting the horn to work on the first page. Will add this info at a later time.
Name:  Steves1.jpg
Views: 2517
Size:  72.1 KB

Combo switch is around $40 at the boneyard here if you can find one. I just cleaned the contacts with some 1500 grit sand paper. Have it listed on the 88 runner build thread as well.
Name:  Steves2.jpg
Views: 2571
Size:  113.0 KB
Old 10-23-2013, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by jkeith
I had this problem with my 93 pickup had no hi beam but when I would pull back the dimmer lever to flash the hi beams I would have the hi beams it turned out to be dirty contacts in the switch on the column, took it a part and cleaned and adjusted the contacts and it works great now. Hope this helps
This is exactly what mine is doing. I will take my steering column apart today and see what I can find. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by mylittlepony1
I have not. Do you know which one it is? I doubt it is that though because they come on when I pull the switch back. Its pushing it forward for them to stay on that does not work.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Here is how I fixed mine. Also a good time to fix the horn connection while in there.

Copied...
MORE INFO>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...icator-229946/

The Light Assembly I had before was from an 86 and it has another plug my 88 didnt have. I figured it was for some option mine didnt have so didnt think much about it. The white plug is what I am talking about on an 86 in this picture.

Today I got to looking at it (the white plug) and it runs to the wiper handle and I am guessing it is to the delay in the handle. So I then decided to see what I could do about my original Light assembly.

I took the Steering Wheel off. I have had mine off before and have it snug but not so tight I need a Steering Wheel Puller. If you havent had it off, dont bang on it as it will bulge the Steering shaft. Go rent a puller from the parts store. It is free.

You will need to drop the lower plastic panel and I diconnect the dimmer switch and just let it lay on the floor. Remove the Steering Wheel and the covers to the steering column.

There are 4 screws that hold the Light Switch Assembly on. They are recessed. Then disconnect the black clip that keeps all of the wire bundeled to the column and 2 screws that hold the blue connectors to the black tabs /clip.

Once I had it off, I had to take 2 screw out that hold the hazard light switch to the assembly, and set it out of the way. I then had to remove the clear plastic cover so as I could use my wife finger nail file (yeah.. she liked that idea) and went over the little copper tips on the copper layers. Just a couple of times to help make a good clean contact. Then I hit with some WD-40.

Here is a good picture of the contacts that need cleaned and more info if someone needs it.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...t-work-100088/

Put it back togther and everything works great. The 86 and 88 Light assemblys do have different part numbers on them and they interchanged and it got me thru. But it is nice having everything working as it should.

I did take my passenger kick panel off and didnt see a relay box there. Not saying it isnt, I just didnt want to pull the ECM and since I was able to test with a good wiper delay switch, I didnt need to go that far into it.

Found another link to a headlight problem I just wanted to add.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...icator-229946/

Here is how I fix my horn issue.
Got the horn to working. I used a .22 shell to make the contact to the steering wheel. I found this on Yotatech and like it better then how I used to fix my horns. I have it listed on my 88 4Runners build thread for more details about getting the horn to work on the first page. Will add this info at a later time.

Combo switch is around $40 at the boneyard here if you can find one. I just cleaned the contacts with some 1500 grit sand paper. Have it listed on the 88 runner build thread as well.
Thank you for taking the time to write that all up. It is much appreciated.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:15 AM

I agree with the rest of the people recommending the cleaning, filing or sanding of the contacts for the light stalk. Mine had the same problem working on low beam and nothing on high beam just to darkness. That almost caused a few crashes before switching back to low beams. The flash is a different circuit using different contacts. The flash would still make mine switch to bright beams not the high beam detent so that is the same as yours.
Filing the contacts worked for a few years and now I have the same problem again.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by stock88pickup22re
I agree with the rest of the people recommending the cleaning, filing or sanding of the contacts for the light stalk. Mine had the same problem working on low beam and nothing on high beam just to darkness. That almost caused a few crashes before switching back to low beams. The flash is a different circuit using different contacts. The flash would still make mine switch to bright beams not the high beam detent so that is the same as yours.
Filing the contacts worked for a few years and now I have the same problem again.
Is it necessary to pull off the steering wheel to do this?
Old 10-23-2013, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

You will need to pull the steering wheel. You can rent a steering wheel puller from parts store for free. Dont bang on the steering shaft or it will bulge out.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:51 AM

K sweet I will let you guys know how it goes.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:28 PM

I had this issue in one of my non-toyota vehicles *cough*heep*cough*. I just used my KC Lights for high-beams. Worked wonderfully
Old 10-24-2013, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Mine has been working for over three years now. Getting one out of the salvage probably isnt going to be much better and then there are several different ones that look the same with different part numbers. My guess is options of each combo switch.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:23 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by mylittlepony1
Originally Posted by SqWADoosh
I have not. Do you know which one it is? I doubt it is that though because they come on when I pull the switch back. Its pushing it forward for them to stay on that does not work.
Fuse on each side connect to common (positive side) terminal of bulb, so it provides power to both High and Low beam. Since low beam and flash work, that means fuses are good.

Originally Posted by jkeith
... had no hi beam but when I would pull back the dimmer lever to flash the hi beams I would have the hi beams it turned out to be dirty contacts in the switch on the column, took it a part and cleaned and adjusted the contacts and it works great now. Hope this helps
Agree. If flash works, but steady high beam does not, it's most likely the high beam contacts.
If you want where test points are, here's how power flows when steady high beams are on:
Name:  Headlight_ONLY_1988-Copy.jpg
Views: 4152
Size:  134.1 KB

High beam indicator is actually NOT in high beam circuit but in low beam circuit. Logic is: If low beam is NOT on, high beam must be ON.

Poorly designed headlight circuit that still exists even in newer Toyota's subject the switch contacts to high currents and hasten their demise. Off-road only bulbs with 100-Watt highs make it worse. H4 conversion harness is the plug and play and clean way to correct it.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 05-19-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:12 AM

2 yellow wires??

What are the 2 yellow wires in the white plug for? My headlights started doing the same as you guy's did. I pulled and cleaned the contacts, but no joy. So I pulled the swirh assy out of my parts truck, but noticed that it did not have the 2 yellow wires going to the wiper switch. Main truck is a July '86 truck and the parts truck is a Sept. '86 truck. Both have delay wipers. I checked operation of everything with out starting the truck and everything seemed to work. I'm concerned that I may find that something doesn't work after I get it all back together. Anyone know about this. I can't see these wires on the diagram.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:23 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by bowtierebel
What are the 2 yellow wires in the white plug for? M
What plug?

Quick Reply: High beams suddenly stopped working