Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

High Beams Flash An Dont Stay Solid(Searched)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Beams Flash An Dont Stay Solid(Searched)

Hey guys searched but did not find. 86 4Runner 22RE 5 speed DLX High beams work when you click the lever up to flash but when you click it all the way down the head lights cut out completely high and low and the high beam indicator comes on the dash. Any ideas ? Thanks
Old 11-08-2012, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Here is how I went about to fix mine. High beams werent working.

Copied
I went to work on my Light Switch and Wiper delay. I plugged my old one in and the wiper delay worked. But not bright lights. I then tried to combine the 2 and was going to have cut wire and splice and didnt want to go that route.

The Light Assembly I had before was from an 86 and it has another plug my 88 didnt have. I figured it was for some option mine didnt have so didnt think much about it. The white plug is what I am talking about on an 86 in this picture.

Today I got to looking at it (the white plug) and it runs to the wiper handle and I am guessing it is to the delay in the handle. So I then decided to see what I could do about my original Light assembly.

I took the Steering Wheel off. I have had mine off before and have it snug but not so tight I need a Steering Wheel Puller. If you havent had it off, dont bang on it as it will bulge the Steering shaft. Go rent a puller from the parts store. It is free.

You will need to drop the lower plastic panel and I diconnect the dimmer switch and just let it lay on the floor. Remove the Steering Wheel and the covers to the steering column.

There are 4 screws that hold the Light Switch Assembly on. They are recessed. Then disconnect the black clip that keeps all of the wire bundeled to the column and 2 screws that hold the blue connectors to the black tabs /clip.

Once I had it off, I had to take 2 screw out that hold the hazard light switch to the assembly, and set it out of the way. I then had to remove the clear plastic cover so as I could use my wife finger nail file (yeah.. she liked that idea) and went over the little copper tips on the copper layers. Just a couple of times to help make a good clean contact. Then I hit with some WD-40.

Here is a good picture of the contacts that need cleaned and more info if someone needs it.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...t-work-100088/

Put it back togther and everything works great. The 86 and 88 Light assemblys do have different part numbers on them and they interchanged and it got me thru. But it is nice having everything working as it should.

I did take my passenger kick panel off and didnt see a relay box there. Not saying it isnt, I just didnt want to pull the ECM and since I was able to test with a good wiper delay switch, I didnt need to go that far into it.

Found another link to a headlight problem I just wanted to add.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...icator-229946/
Old 11-08-2012, 05:27 PM

Thanks alot for all that info and links I should definatly get it squared away now
Old 11-08-2012, 08:33 PM

terry's one of most helpful members on here, hope i didnt offend anybody
Old 11-11-2012, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks westjohns yota... I remember my days of trying to figure things out and alot of people here helped me out. Just trying to pass it on.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:57 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
I did the same thing. Fold a piece of sand paper in half so both sides have the abrasive, then pinch the paper between the contacts and lightly file them. I used the writeup on 4Crawler.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...eadlight_Combo
Old 11-23-2012, 05:34 PM

Allright had time to take her apart today and terry u was dead on. Went ahead and cleaned them all but the highs were definatly all buggered up. Works great now thanks again for all that info and the pics were a big help
Old 11-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Glad it worked for you.. If I had been thinking, while you had the steering wheel off, would of been a good time to fix your horn if you were having isues with it. I like to use the .22 shell now that I know about it.

Copied...
The way I fix this to take a small flat blade around the edge of the brass ring and raise it a little bit and slip some paper gasket under the brass ring. It has worn itself down and not making contact with the 11 oclock post.

Here is a better picture of the Brass Ring and my pointer finger is what makes contact to sound the horn. I just clean them with some fine grit sandpaper.

Got the horn to working. I used a .22 shell to make the contact to the steering wheel. I found this on Yotatech and like it better then how I used to fix my horns. I have it listed on my 88 4Runners build thread for more details about getting the horn to work on the first page.