Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Hi from North Dakota!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi from North Dakota!

Hi 2nd genners...it's been a while so I wanted to say Happy New Year! and also send some pics from up here in the snow. I must say that I am having fun in this weather.
The trip out here from Seattle was fantastic, all through Montana, Yellowstone, Wyoming, runner was amazing. Thanks to the helpful advice here on YT I winterized the 4runner with 5W30 synthetic oil and an OEM Factory Engine Block Heater. Block heater was cheap only $125 installed, works great. Getting great traction with hubs engaged in 4wd, no sliding at all, truetracs are helping with this a lot too. Glad to have the winch have pulled some trees and good to have it if ever I get stuck. Rear cargo box is amazing I cannot recommend it enough, much better than towing something with wheels. Hope you are all doing great! Taiko
Pics attached.

Here's a winter pic...no other vehicle I would want up here than my 2nd gen!

Here's the cross country/backcountry setup for cold food. Inverter charges battery pack while engine runs. When engine is off, freezer/fridge runs off of battery pack. No dead car batteries. Had popsicles frozen for 10 days, beer cold, lettuce fresh. Hard to believe. This setup made summer driving with 2 kids fun as opposed to a hard time.

On the cross country trip. Box and back cargo area was completely full, very loaded down, very heavy. Downey springs were fantastic. Downey Corp, hope you return!

Here's a shot in Cody Wyoming. Went to the Rodeo. What a night!!

This great moment happened during the trip! Joined the 250K club!

Another shot before the snows hit!
Old 01-16-2010, 11:26 AM

Nice rig,lots of goodies,bet u was sucking the gas big time.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member

Hi Matt! Thanks for the kind words about my rig. I used to try and get more MPG with aftermarket mods like the Jacobs Ignition. I changed my tune and went back to all OEM with the ignition. Best decision I ever made. Before the trip I put on a new dist cap and OEM plugs and wires. (thanks for your help with those stuck plugs deathcougar!) Also kept ISR mod but replaced the K&N with the stock filter/resonator assembly. Noise went away.
I got 18MPG the entire trip (highway). I was really happy with those numbers. For the amount of weight we were pulling (and going uphill too) it was pretty nice. The headers gave me peace of mind when revving hard up the rockies as I don't worry nearly as much about HG issues with the 3vze now that the stock manifold is out.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:56 PM

Wow you've done a lot,18mpg is pretty decent.