Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

HG or timing chain?

Old 01-24-2012, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HG or timing chain?

Hello, I have a 94 Toyota pickup with 106,000 miles and the 22re. The other day I noticed some oil drips where I park. The next day I went to look again before I left for work and the Oil looked like a glob of oil/antifreeze or water. Today though there is just a drip of oil. The dipstick has no milkshake, The oil cap has some in the top. I haven't drained the oil to see but I will tonight. I checked the plugs and they look normal, light tan color. The antifreeze is at a good level. One thing i noticed was there was some oil on the valve cover, I checked and they were loose so I torqued them back down. What Should I do next? I was thinking of cyl leak test. Should I be driving the truck or not? Thanks for reading. Might need to put the top on the Jeep so I can get to school tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:35 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Uhh... It was two drips of oil.. Condensation gets in and out of engines, hence the slight milkshake in the top of your oil cap.. If it was full to the top of froth then you should be concerned.
If all 4 plugs are fine, not washed or clean, then you're fine.
If the coolant levels are still high, then you're probably fine.
If you're concerned about the TChain cover leaking because the guides broke, pull the valve cover gasket and check to see if the drivers side guide is still intact.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:50 PM

Then why was the oil on the driveway in a glob? Just asking, The truck is my DD.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by peow130
Uhh... It was two drips of oil.. Condensation gets in and out of engines, hence the slight milkshake in the top of your oil cap.. If it was full to the top of froth then you should be concerned.
If all 4 plugs are fine, not washed or clean, then you're fine.
If the coolant levels are still high, then you're probably fine.
If you're concerned about the TChain cover leaking because the guides broke, pull the valve cover gasket and check to see if the drivers side guide is still intact.
i agree...powerwash engine ,check fluids,see if it leaks.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
runs fine? and u can't source the oil leak? any oil coming off the motor to the ground can pickup sludge/dirt/moisture ... itd be pretty obvious if it was coolant.

source the oil leak first and if youre still concerned pull the valve cover and look down the driver side of the timing chain for guide breakage and cover wear.

sounds like nothings wrong with your motor tho
Old 01-24-2012, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the help guys, I needed to change the oil anyways so when I did I checked out the oil it seems to be all oil just dirty. It didn't have any odd smell to it. I still will probably pop the valve cover off just to be sure. Like I said the 4 valve cover nuts were hand tight so I think that's where the leak is from. I made note of where the coolant level is to check tomorrow after I drive to school
Old 01-24-2012, 04:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 1994toyota
Then why was the oil on the driveway in a glob? Just asking, The truck is my DD.
Because it mixed with the dirt and grime from where it ran down..
When water an oil mix in an engine, thats a different story than if you find oil on the ground..
it could be exposed to so many different things by the time it reaches the ground, that it could be anything.
Hell, for all you know it could be gear oil from your front diff..