Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Hesitation/stalling during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hesitation and running rich 89 Toyota Pickup

I had this problem on my 89 Toyota pickup 3.0 for about 7 months. Starts fine but dies shortly afterward if not moving down the road. Dies at EVERY stop, hesitates and bucks upon acceleration. I might add that this was a Jekel and Hyde problem. Some days (rarely) it ran great! Problem got steadily worse until it wouldn't even start again after stalling at a stop, had to roll it and pop the clutch. Needless to say we went through a starter during this phase. So, we replaced these parts to NO avail. Battery, Alternator, Cap and Rotor, Plugs/Wires, Starter, Mass Air Sensor, Throttle Position Sensor, Computer, checked for vacuum leaks. Since it was running rich I thought it was bad injectors or the fuel pump. I decided to check the codes again just for fun I guess and it gave me one for the Coolant Temp Sensor (this was the first time I got this code) which can send the wrong signals to the computer and cause the injectors to send too much gas. I put injector cleaner in the tank for good measure and I changed out the CTS and it solved the whole issue! Pretty inexpensive part too. I broke it taking it out too, also, I wasn't in the mood to test it in a pot of water. Out with the old and in with the new. 2 months later and still running great! I really hope this helps someone out there. I couldn't have done it without the help of Yotatech Forums! Thanks guys!
Old 03-04-2016, 04:09 PM

had similar problems on mine solved when i changed fuel filter
Old 04-17-2016, 10:23 PM

Just bought an 88 22rec pickup 4wd had same issue runs great idles rough and when you push on the pedal she dogs out unless you do it very slowly. Max freeway speed of around 60-65 could not sustain 70. Tried the usual things others have tried the cold start fuel sprayer cleaned it wires plugs o2 sensor coils checker rechecked pulled plenum found a bad gasket replaced and sealed. Fixed multiple bad looking ground wire connections. To no avail. The truck already had the egr emissions stuff yanked. The previous owner had tried to plug them with vacuum line with screws in them decided to test them using a brake bleed tool with gauge set up to test vacuum. They were not holding at all capped all vacuum lines except ones going to AS and the ones that pull fumes from the valve cover. She runs great now doing highway speed trial tomorrow and will post results. Also thank you yotatech and all the posters for ideas on how to fix the issue. Helped knowing others were having same issue. So check your vacuum lines for leaks. I hope this helps someone good luck.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by snpdg
My 1994 4x4 Toyota Truck is having acceleration issues. It happens after I have been driving almost amile.When I press the gas pedal theengine sounds very clogged and the acceleration is very bad.The sound is “duh-duh-duh-duh” instead of asmooth “vroom” acceleration sound.It isbad especially going up a hill.When Iam in neutral and I hit the gas the engine does not seem to have this issue.
Any ideas on what this might be? I am not looking to spend much money, butwanted to get some info before I started talking to mechanics.
Thanks for any input.
I had same issue on my 88 to make a long story short she was running lean checked plugs and they were getting burnt. Go to store buy a brake bleed kit with gauge (kill two birds one stone) use it to test your vacuum lines. Thought mine were good they were not tiny hole in a few of them so.... The holes were introducing unneeded air into the system which made it run lean. Took my buddy and I a few days and alot of man hours to figure out.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:36 AM

I have the same nagging problem with my '89 Toyota SR5 V6 pick-up, stalling/dying going down the road (30 mph), seems to be worse at lower speeds during acceleration, like fuel is not getting through. Idles fine. As above, replaced fuel filter, rotor cap, plugs, temp sensor. Got it back from mechanic who could not reproduce the problem, but it happens again! Going back to mechanic tomorrow....any further ideas to clear this up? Has anyone figured it out? Thanks!
Old 08-28-2016, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always go to my fuel pressure test gauge to try and rule out fuel supply problems. Mine has a long enough hose that I can hold it in my hand while driving and watch it when it acts up. If you are holding 40psi or so when the problem happens or you don't see a drop in pressure, you can pretty much rule out the fuel supply circuit up to the injectors.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:07 AM

Thank you so much, appreciate the quick response. My mechanic was supposed to check fuel pressure, not sure he did or not, will ask tomorrow. After all these years (original owner) and 239,000 dependable miles, hard to trust reliability now in the high country, or even around town. Do not want to be stranded!
Old 08-28-2016, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just checking the pressure isn't going to help much. You need to be looking at the gauge with it acts up. There is no point in going to the trouble if it's running fine while you test it. You may have to take the hood off so you can run the gauge hose through the window. The best part about a test like this is that you get to look super cool riding around with no hood and a hose running through your window. I usually put on a sleeveless shirt and tie a bandana around my head when I do it. Gotta own it!
Old 08-28-2016, 02:13 PM

Ha, wish I could, but I am sure mechanic will charge triple for that! He drove it several days and did not act up....but when I get it home a different story. Thanks again!
Old 08-28-2016, 02:16 PM

Oh, forgot to ask...if fuel pressure is causing, what is the fix, new fuel pump?
Old 09-07-2017, 11:17 AM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm reviving this thread for posterity's sake.
I'm having a similar problem with my 89 22RE. I've searched and read and it seems it can be many things..most of the basics have been covered..plugs, wires, timing, fuel filter, o2 sensor..etc. I even changed out the vacuum lines with the fancy silicone ones from LCE.
There's no codes and my main suspect is that it's the temp sensor (for the ECU) as it seems to be worst when I don't warm up the truck (I live in HI so no need right?) but it's also mysteriously happens once it's reached temp and I'm already on the road. She idles ok and it might be noted that there is no cat..that's how I bought it and it was fine for at least a year.
I've filled up the gas tank and put a bottle of seafoam to see if that does anything. Next will be to clean the throttle body
I will report any progress I make and shout out to the YOTATECH gods and goddesses for being awesome, I won a craftsman ratchet set in the last draw/contest thing!
Old 09-09-2017, 05:20 PM

for kicks, even though I didn't get a check engine light, I jumped e1-te1 and she threw code 41
throttle position sensor.
so I'm going to investigate that next. it makes sense because the (sometimes violent) bucking and hesitation happens when I'm accelerating
i'mma test it using: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml
Old 09-14-2017, 07:51 PM

Problem solved!
I noticed that one of the wires of the cold start timing sensor had gotten disjoined. I guess the PO had rewired the sensor wires with a connector poorly and the intermittent hesitation was due to the wires not sending info to the CPU? (pls correct me if I'm wrong). it makes sense cause before I fixed it, the truck would do the jerking/hesitation after I hit a bump. Anyways, the lesson is..check your wiring!