Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

HELP serious pull to side in 4 wheel dr

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP serious pull to side in 4 wheel dr

Hello everyone, im am new and was hoping for some help. I have an 86 4x4 p/u and when i am in 4 wheel and get above about 30 MPH my truck pulls to the left pretty bad. It is quite annoying with all the snow we are having. One small additin to my problem is going from 4 wh high to 2 wh it seems to get stuck and i have to slip the clutch and keep pressure on shifter to get it to go back to two wheel.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks!!
Old 02-22-2010, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello, welcome to YotaTech

This thread here may help you out a bit..
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-drive-204026/

To sum it up..
1. allignment issues are very noticeable in 4wd
2. gear driven transfer case needs to "unload" before you can put it into 2wd.
3. having mismatched tire sizes/tread life can really really mess up your transfer case (beacuse it's gear driven).
Old 02-22-2010, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the advice. Not sure what the term "unload "refers to but i can stop completely and it still wont shift, i can leave it over night or i can roll slowly and nothing unless i put pressure on it and rock it by slipping the clutch it wont go. Also it has brand new rubber on it and the last set of rubber was prob 70-75% gone when i replaced them and have always been same size.

my alignment seems fine, but it cant hurt to check it, which i will do tommorrow.

again thanks.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:30 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's an epidemic!!! Maybe if somebody dies, Toyota will recall them?

But in the mean time, I'd just keep my hubs locked and shift into and out of 4WD depending on what's covering the road...

Old 02-22-2010, 08:37 PM

luckily i dont have to drive far every day, only put it in 4 wheel if i have to. It just gets really icey round here and if they keep cutting budgets we wont have any plows
Old 02-22-2010, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the term unloading refers to strain on the drivetrain.. the dirvetrain is loaded under acceleration, deceleration, and turning..

I find the best way for me to shift into 2Hi, is accelerate slightly in 4HI, throw the clutch in and shift into 2HI at the same time.. there's a quick point when truck goes from accelerating to engine braking where there's no load on the drivetrain and the transfer case slips into 2HI.. If you're quick enough, or your timing is impecable, you may not need to use the clutch, but I'm lazy.. It may not be the case with yours.. I also find this easier in any gear other than first.. that moment of no load occurs very quickly in first gear (as you may notice by the bucking motion if your press and release the gas lightly and quickly in first gear.. it's less noticeable in second, and even less in third etc....

your transfer case may have issues, it seems like everybody here has their own method for shifting their case.. As long as you don't use 4wheel drive on grippy/dry surfaces there's nothing really to worry about.. If you gotta slip your clutch for a second, sobeit..
Old 02-22-2010, 08:58 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
YoterRob, you ever had, or seen a cable spool?

http://images.google.com/images?um=1...=&aqi=&start=0

You ever try and roll it? Then try and turn it while it's rolling?

When you can't turn something freely, that's called a bind or load.

You don't have an AWD truck, so you can't drive it on high traction surfaces... And yes, sometimes snow has lots of traction.

You may think all your tires, and all your gears are exactly the same in ratio or diameter but in reality they are not exact. On high traction surfaces all the tires are not rotating at the same exact speed, or the front and rear drive shafts are not turning at the same speed... This will cause bind and the TC won't shift freely between the gears.

And, like the spool rotates freely in a straight line so does your 4WD... Only, I don't know of many places that you can get to without turning the wheel.

Doing that and all 4 tires will defiantly not rotate at the same speeds. The only time they do is in a straight line.

I'm tired now...

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 02-22-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:59 AM

right on i appreciate all the input and info jsut want to make sure my truck is not getting ready to lay an egg (Egg being my transfer case) on the road somewhere.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:53 PM

Found the problem. Idler arm is bad and front axel bushings are toast. Thanks for all the ideas an help