Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help...serious issues with 87 4wd truck!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help...serious issues with 87 4wd truck!

Hello everyone,

If you are reading this then I'll go ahead and thank you. I'm sure
this will get a little long in the tooth and there is so much to
yell....er talk about! (sorry, I am frustrated) Let me go ahead and
get to it then.

Purchased an 89 left hand drive toyota 4wd pickup (hilux?). Actually, was
purchased by my better half while I was away in the states. I live on
the caribbean island of St Lucia and good vehicles are unbelievably
expensive and hard to come by, it was available, so she got it before
I laid eyes on it. After doing online number searches turns out the 89 is in fact an 87. Imported fromthe US sometime around 96. Very little history info, but it is obviousit was driven and not garage kept. Both exterior and under the hoodare well used (true mileage> HAHAAAA..... sorry, no idea how close thenumbers on the OD are to true). Unlike many vehicles here under thehood still basically resembles stock. (Lucian mechanics, while oftencreative and brilliant in an artistic sort of way, aren't known for
there correct technical skills!) To put it mildly there are some
"engineered" aspects to the old girl. I'm relativly sure the engine is
at least still a 22r, though original to the chasis is suspect. 4wd is
in perfect order and works surprisingly well all around. My biggest
issues (there are quickly becoming a number of them) are with what
carburation.

It has never been the most perfect running vehicle. There has always
been a slight sputter at idle(VERY minor) and the idle is rather high,
but not racing. Could be needs new plugs and wires? (it does, but will
get them in the states as here you wouldn't believe how expensive
stuff like that is) Could be a slight timing issue. (seems to need a
little adjustment, but works for now) Lately under a load (uphill,
for which there is no shortage here!) she occasionally misses, often
with a backfire. Also, the accelerator pedal literally feels as if it
is being blocked and will not travel fully to the floor as if it is
governed. The missing behavior showed it's ugly face suddenly and
extreme shortly after I started driving her, and then just as suddenly
disappeared for a time. It is totally intermittent with days or even
weeks between episodes. The stuck pedal is a realtivly new phenomenon
and seems to only happen when completely warmed up. I have looked and
looked for any obvious problem,which requires taking all the
#$%^&* breather assembly and assorted vacumm lines off at least a
dozen times, but to no avail. Then yesterday she took a total crapper.
While climbing a steep grade the idle shot up to almost redline and
would not back off. After a creative ride home I finally found that
the choke assembly pivot bolt (sorry, know its not the real name but
trying to describe here) on the back of the carb backed completely off
and all associated linkages disconnected. As luck would have it there
has been some severe "engineering" previously to this assembly (meaning lots of safety wire and such)and I have no idea
if what I have back together now is indeed correct. Thing is, now the
stuck pedal issue is gone (YEAH!!!!) but in it's place is a high idle
that no amount of adjusting will touch. Worse, I just realized today
that now when pointing down slopes it barely idles and dies, while
climbing slopes the idle races. WTF!?!?!?!? this behavior is totally
new.........

I am not a professional toyota mechanic. However, I have always done all my own mechanics on all my vehicles. I'm no stranger to most aspects, though most of my experience is with pre emissions stuff (intentional) and non US vehicles. As mechanical skills go I am not a total Nubbie, but I am far from expert level. This is my second toyota. My first (and best truck EVER) was a RHD 74 FJ-45. Boy do I miss that tank.....

so, I have a few other problems that seem completely unrelated and yet
just started yesterday. When it rains it pours, and it is rainy season all around here. I'll start here and see if anybody is out
there and cares to help. Trust me, there is plenty more coming....

Cheers for now. Hope to here from somebody!!!!
Old 10-02-2009, 09:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
WOW! Long post indeed.

I'd suspect that your carb needs to be pulled and rebuilt. The funny idle at odd angles suggests to me that the float is either stuck, sticking or busted. The once-in-a-while miss sounds like something in the ignition system is about to poop out. Replace the plugs/wires/cap/rotor. I also recommend getting the rig timed to specs.

Since I don't own a carbed rig that is about all the advice I can give you. Hope it helps a little.

oh and welcome to YT!
Old 10-02-2009, 11:26 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Like junker said, I'd suspect float problems for the incline/decline issue. I have read where the stock carb does not work too well on steep inclines, I don't know how steep the roads are in St Lucia..hopefully not that steep.

I think you should get yourself a new cap, rotor, plug wires, and plugs here in the states. Also, pick up a set of feeler gauges (make sure it has .008 and .012..check me on that but I think that's the correct sizes). Do the tune up, adjust the valves. And then try to set the idle. There is a cold idle screw and a warm idle screw on the carb, so make sure you warm up the engine and adjust the correct one. Then if you have access to a timing light, cap the vac advance and check/adjust the timing. Run some fuel system cleaner in the gas for a couple of tanks. Then if your incline/decline persists, rebuild the carb. You can get a kit at Napa for like $40 and give it a try yourself. See http://www.bluebassdesign.com/boonin/carb_faq/ for some great 22r carb info.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:44 PM

Thanks guys. You have no idea how much I appreciate any help. I'm basically flying solo here, as the locals aren't much help (like I said gifted "engineering" skills, but poor correct mechanics, not to mention the "language" barrier) and can't seem to realize a gringo can turn a wrench. I'm trying to actually FIX this thing as I know if I can get her right I'll have her for awhile. At $8,000 it was a steal (I'm not kidding!), but I wouldn't give $700US back stateside for something like this.

I thought myself float problems, but because of the choke disintegration issue I am hoping for some other possibility. I already plan on getting the usual (new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, PCV, DP, etc.....) As well I already replaced the clutch master and slave as it was the only problem I ever had with my FJ. Better safe than sorry. Also plan on bringing a new carb and brake booster or kit. IT's better to just spend the extra few US$ and get already working parts as hedge bets on rebuilds. No telling how many times and where rebuilds have been attempted before! (anecdote here: both parts new stateside $36....slave alone here $450 EC. about $150 US!!!) I have feelers and the normal necessary tools for general maintenance, but if you think parts are pricey you gotta go tool shopping sometime.

anyway, should I give the next few problems here or in a new post? I see things are busy here and this post is already buried.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:57 PM

forgot to give a few details....

Gas here is iffy. Water is an ever present issue, and the first outbreak of the problem coincided with what I thought was bad gas. I drained the tank and got plenty of crud, so trash in the gas aint it now. things got better for a while, but now back with a vengeance. Can carb issues really be that intermittent? Unfortunately St Lucia is a volcanic island so hills we got, and steep hills a plenty. I live literally on the volcano within a 5 minute walk to the caldera itself (my only hot water!). My driveway is steeper than any american road or car path I have ever seen....EVER! When I started thinking float problems I pulled down the driveway both forward and reverse, and pointing forward it won;t stay running, while reverse it screams....

as for adjustments....I promise NONE of the adjustments have any affect at all. I have the warm idle screw all the way in and it still idles crazy fast. I have tried them both both ways to no affect.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:44 PM

Keep us posted on the work in progress and post up some pictures when you get a chance.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:00 PM

will do...though I gotta say you all will get good laugh out of the whole affair. Nothing like working on things without a flat place to work, no pavement, totally inadequate tools, and completely lacking the knowledge! The old girl looks worse than i imagine half of ya'lls junkers in the back 40 do. I guess that I can just take pride in the fact that I have one of the most overpriced trucks on this board (god I hope so!!!!). But at least I don't have to walk anymore, right? (did I just curse myself!?!?!?!)
Old 10-02-2009, 05:43 PM

x2 on the carb rebuild. Get some instant dry parts cleaner (or carb cleaner, same thing) take the carb out and completely douche everything, sounds like the float is stuck, So I'm guessing its pretty damn grimy.

Change the sparks and wires when you can, also timing may be off, but get the carb done first, good luck man.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by animaljosh
will do...though I gotta say you all will get good laugh out of the whole affair. Nothing like working on things without a flat place to work, no pavement, totally inadequate tools, and completely lacking the knowledge! The old girl looks worse than i imagine half of ya'lls junkers in the back 40 do. I guess that I can just take pride in the fact that I have one of the most overpriced trucks on this board (god I hope so!!!!). But at least I don't have to walk anymore, right? (did I just curse myself!?!?!?!)
Hey, don't you talk like that, you could never have an "overpriced" 22r, they are the best motors in the whole world, and one of the, if not the easiest motors to work on ever. You could rebuild that baby with 3 ratchet sizes and a pair of vice grips. I don't wanna here your belly aching. And as for walking again, never, I mean never will that truck leave you stranded (unless something truly disastrous happens) You will drive it to 300,000 miles, rebuild the motor and then drive it another 300,000, not because you have too but because, the "old girl" deserves to have the grime cleaned of her crankcase, and because you will need and love that truck more than the the blood in your vanes. So grab some tools, and a can of parts cleaner and give this truck not what it needs, but what it deserves! HOO-RAH!!!!

Repeat after me:
This is my truck, there are many like it, but this is mine.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:57 PM

Easy on the "junkers" comments there partner......

I was doing some thinking and it might be better for you to source parts from us here on the board if shipping isn't a huge money killer. Hell if you need something that I can buy for you here and ship out then you might be money ahead. I know from first hand searching that there is money to be saved getting parts from the cats and dogs on this site. I even have a great contact for early 80's and 90's Toyota and have bought hundreds of dollars worth of parts from her instead of spending 3 or 4 times that much locally. Man if you need tools I can easily hit the local Sears (God I LOVE Craftsman tool sets) and grab a basic 150 piece set for you and ship it. You'll have to pay me back of course but it might save you some money. I also have a massive discount at the local Napa, I built 1 1986 Ford F250 diesel, 2 1977 IH scouts (one a V8 and the other a Nissan Chrysler SD33-NA diesel) 1 1986 SR5 ext cab Yota and my current 89 SR5 4runner from parts bought at one chain, not to mention 20+ years of buying from Napa, along with a military discount, and you tend to get treated well, and I can use that to get parts for you and can ship those as well.

This site offers a hell of a lot more than just tech support and fun reading. We're here to keep as many old Yota's on the road as possible. After the "Cash for Clunkers" program here I've seen too many rigs that only needed a little TLC get sent to the crusher. I'll help you save yours if I can.

Last edited by Junkers88; 10-02-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by 1stgen4gunner

Repeat after me:
This is my truck, there are many like it, but this is mine.

And what is your trucks name?

"This is my runner this is my gun"

"This is for wheeling this is for fun"

"Sound off!!!"
Old 10-03-2009, 04:54 AM

man, this is the kind of help I was dreaming of. And the comedic relief is a welcome change from the past few days of this deep feeling low in my stomach like things is getting really bad...!!! Remember I said I have some other issues, but at least you guys are making me feel better.

Junker, I appreciate the offer of parts and tools, but unfortunately the shipping and duties here are outrageous. However, I am coming back to the good ole US of A mid Oct for a little stint so I might, maybe, perhaps.... utilize you all in some way on the parts connections and such. I go back to a pretty isolated part of the states (southern outerbanks, NC) so parts hunting there is often difficult too without extensive travels, and I am "straight out of low cash" so shipping can kill an otherwise good deal from most places that only use UPS. good ole USPS is by far the cheapest and best for most things.

Here is one absolutely honest offer (Its no joke)to throw on the table here as most of you seem to be the adventurous type... If anybody feels like a caribbean work vacation (IE work on the truck, get room and board and other perks for free) I have a seriously insane place for you here. Private beaches, off the beaten path tropical island, attractive German ladies, and a grimy toyota that needs fondled. Sound like something anybody wants to here more about?
Old 10-03-2009, 05:59 AM

man, this is the kind of help I was dreaming of. And the comedic relief is a welcome change from the past few days of this deep feeling low in my stomach like things is getting really bad...!!! Remember I said I have some other issues, but at least you guys are making me feel better.

Junker, I appreciate the offer of parts and tools, but unfortunately the shipping and duties here are outrageous. However, I am coming back to the good ole US of A mid Oct for a little stint so I might, maybe, perhaps.... utilize you all in some way on the parts connections and such. I go back to a pretty isolated part of the states (southern outerbanks, NC) so parts hunting there is often difficult too without extensive travels, and I am "straight out of low cash" so shipping can kill an otherwise good deal from most places that only use UPS. good ole USPS is by far the cheapest and best for most things.

Here is one absolutely honest offer (Its no joke)to throw on the table here as most of you seem to be the adventurous type... If anybody feels like a caribbean work vacation (IE work on the truck, get room and board and other perks for free) I have a seriously insane place for you here. Private beaches, off the beaten path tropical island, attractive German ladies, and a grimy toyota that needs fondled. Sound like something anybody wants to here more about?
Man I would definitely take you up on that offer, but alas, I am not destined for a Caribbean vacation that I so desperately need. My duties on the home front don't allow me to splurge in the fancies that so many enjoy (school, work, etc. But hell I'm gettin' ASE certified by the end of the year) So I would ask any of you good Samaritans on this website, please do not look at this offer with your eyes, but with your heart (or with your brain, its a free Caribbean Vacation for Lord's sake) And help not only this man, but the Toyota, this I think that we can all agree is worth the fight!

Save the Toyota!
(And by extension animaljosh here, plus as I said, looks like a free Caribbean vacation opportunity here, would be sad to see it never taken opportunity upon)
Old 10-03-2009, 06:11 AM

and I'm serious as it gets too!!!!! No hollow promises, just an honest on the table offer. If you have other skills (historic home restoration, carpentry, electrical, etc...) it could be a longer term thing. PM me if anybody is serious about the possibilities and I'd be happy to explain. It's a mucho cool situation! situations like this do indeed exist in real life, I'm living proof!!!!

On thread topic.....anybody know of an aftermarket carb that will bolt up with no mods AND if it is possible to simplify this emissions crap? I'm thinking something like a weber with none of the vacuum dependent features. Bare bones, simple, tough.....it's not like half the emissions and vacuum powered things work on this rig anyway...
Old 10-03-2009, 06:12 AM

and I'm serious as it gets too!!!!! No hollow promises, just an honest on the table offer. If you have other skills (historic home restoration, carpentry, electrical, etc...) it could be a longer term thing. PM me if anybody is serious about the possibilities and I'd be happy to explain. It's a mucho cool situation! situations like this do indeed exist in real life, I'm living proof!!!!

On thread topic.....anybody know of an aftermarket carb that will bolt up with no mods AND if it is possible to simplify this emissions crap? I'm thinking something like a weber with none of the vacuum dependent features. Bare bones, simple, tough.....it's not like half the emissions and vacuum powered things work on this rig anyway...
Old 10-03-2009, 06:13 AM

woops, mistake due to dialup connection! Sorry