Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help!!! Rough Idle White Smoke From Exhaust 22re

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!!! Rough Idle White Smoke From Exhaust 22re

Completely lost right now. i was driving home from work yesterday and im slowing down to pull into my neighborhood and as i pushed in the clutch the rpms sank and i stalled out. so i came to a stop and tried to start it up and it did for a second then died. tried again and nothing. third time i tried and gave it some gas but i had to keep giving it gas to prevent it from stalling so i drove home and it seemed grogy when decelerating and i stalled out and coasted in to my drive way. I adjusted the idle thinkin that was the problem but it still was very lopy and rough the exhaust smelled rich like carb cleaner. Now today i replaced the spark plugs thinkin tht could be it and they were shot but that didnt do much im still having all the same symptoms and now i see visible white smoke but it isnt pouring out thick it stops when i turn it off. its around 86 degrees here so condensation is out of the question. I've tried searching and found nothing similar to my problem. I really need her running guys any ideas of what could be going wrong would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-12-2011, 12:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check your oil dipstick to see if it's looks like chocolate milkshake (coolant in the oil). Open the radiator cap (when it's cool) and see if there's oil floating on top of the coolant. Also, you can take the radiator cap off, start the vehicle, and see if you can see bubbles coming up through the coolant. See where I'm headed with this? Hint: headgasket.

Last edited by vasinvictor; 08-12-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:28 PM

yea i read some stuff similar talkin about the head gasket goin but the oil isn't emulsified and the coolant is its normal clearish green color.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:30 PM

What happens when the radiator cap is off and the truck is started? Notice any bubbles? If the headgasket is just starting to let go, you may have to get the temps up to get things to expand, and then when it cools down and contracts again, you might get your leak.

Last edited by vasinvictor; 08-12-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:43 PM

its not bubbling the fluid is bouncin around because its running so rough. i drove the way it was yesterday for 2 miles and it was already at opperating temps so idk it had plenty of time to cool down last night

Last edited by DontStepOnMySteeze; 08-12-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:47 PM

Ok, then I recall hearing about torn up plastic guides and wearing though the timing chain cover causing similar symptom. When's the last time you changed your timing chain? I'm not a 22re guy so I'll let somebody else have it.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:56 PM

the truck has 431,xxx miles on it (im not even joking) and the engine was replaced at 335,xxx. Its got a jasper re-manufactured engine with 95,000 miles on it and i havent replaced the timing chain but i kno thts a common problem with these trucks so it may be that
Old 08-12-2011, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the chain has worn through the timing cover it shouldn't all of a sudden run crappy...the chain makes a rattle when the guides are gone and the mixing of coolant/oil can be a stealthy process that will destroy your bottom end.

White smoke indicates to me that coolant is getting into a cylinder....
Old 08-12-2011, 01:22 PM

Thanx for the reply, any ideas on how its getting in there?
Old 08-12-2011, 05:46 PM

could it be the fuel injectors? cuz if coolant is getting in a cylinder then why would it be loping so hard. its got a tone like its got a lopy cam
Old 08-12-2011, 10:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if coolant was getting into a cylinder then that cylinder would not be combusting properly.
as if it was running on three cylinders or 3 and a half...hence the loping

Id guess that old coolant has been eating at the head and has caused a leak in the head/gasket between a coolant passage in cylinder three or four.

again thats just a guess....
Old 08-13-2011, 12:46 PM

okay so today i fire it up and all same symptoms except today its raining so i pulled it in the garage and the exhaust is spitting out black wet dots and white smoke. the liqiud drippin from the exhaust smells like coolant i took the valve cover off and the oil inside looks normal coolant looks normal again. should i check the torque on the head bolts? what do you guys recommend i do?
Old 08-14-2011, 05:16 PM

bump. new spark plugs are black already and i haven't driven anywhere just started it a few times to troubleshoot
Old 08-14-2011, 05:37 PM

Have the coolant tested for Hydrocarbons to determine if you have exhaust in the cooling system (bad headgasket), Go to a shop or some parts stores have the test kit. Don't run it to much like that could do more damage (bearings, rings, rods, etc,).
Good luck!!!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
*sigh*

Sounds like it's got some type of rich/lean condition.
Check all vacuum lines, check for leaks around the intake, check all the EGR junk, etc.

Check your fuel filter, it could be plugged..

Get the engine compression tested.. etc.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:26 PM

thanx for the replies im gonna check the compression tomorrow see whats goin on. My only doubt for the head gasket being the problem is the spark plugs being black rather than white. And btw i did remove the egr temp sensor because it kept throwin a code and i cleaned tht egr so good so i got tired of it put a resistor in the temp sensor wire but i cant figure tht would be the problem. the engine does sorta have a hissing sound so i'll check the vacuums too

Last edited by DontStepOnMySteeze; 08-14-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
black would indicate unburned fuel and a really rich condition..
so you've either got an issue related to the O2 sensor, or some other kind of emissions related thing.
My guess is that you're getting a false lean condition from an unmetered amount of air from a leak, causing the truck to run rich.. Sounds goofy, but thats how OBD works lol.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:39 PM

Lol yea my dad was sayin he thinks its the injectors or something and i was hopin it be somthin a lil easier than pullin the head (though i have no problem doing tht because i need this truck workin) but yea i'll check the egr, pair, vacuums, and shtuff see wht i can do. i appreciate your help
Old 08-15-2011, 08:03 AM

Okay i did a vacuum test and its readin 14 to 18 inches vacuum and the needle is bouncin rapidly between those values. The vacuum meter reads late ignition timing in the exact area the needle is bouncin between. Also white smoke is still comin from the exhaust and its still drippin water or somethin (liquid doesnt really have a smell)
Old 08-25-2011, 12:06 PM

I am having the same exact issue.

Quick Reply: Help!!! Rough Idle White Smoke From Exhaust 22re