86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help - oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help - oil leak

Decided to try Royal Purple after a faithful user of Castrol Synblend. After totally draining the old oil and adding the new, started the truck up to check for leaks. Boy did I find one as all the new oil leaked all over the floor. Immediately checked the drain plug and oil filter, both of which were snug and neither of which seemed to be the source of the leak. I have never had a leak in the past (am religious about checking oil level) and at a loss about where this may have come from - any ideas. More importantly, can I just drain what little oil is left in the pan and add more castrol?
Ari
Old 06-19-2008, 10:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Finding a major leak shouldn't be any problem. Where does it appear the oil is coming from? Where is the puddle location on the floor in relation to the engine location? Front left, rear middle, etc.

You did put some oil around the gasket on the filter before tightening, right? If not, you may have pinched it.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:10 AM

Thanks for the comment. I did put oil around the filter. My question was more about why I would see such a massive leak after adding synthetics when I never saw a leak with synth blend (at all).
Old 06-20-2008, 07:23 AM

The reason why you found a leak after adding the Purple is that Synthetics, and the really good synthetics like Royal Purple do a really good job of keeping your engine clean by breaking down dirt, sludge, carbon, etc. Have you seen the Castrol commercials lately? They're constantly telling us that their oil has superior sludge protection. Synethetics are even better. Technically you already had a leak before adding the Purple, it's was just blocked by dirt and sludge over time. After adding the Purple it completely cleaned it out and only now are you seeing the leak. This is common with older vehicles when adding Synthetics.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:26 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Massive leak from where? If it is massive it should be easy to locate.

Sounds like a spill you did not notice.

If it is truly leaking now it was probably there before and the synthetic just exaggerated it.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:27 AM

Another thing i've seen happen a time or two is the old filter gasket getting stuck on the block, then you add a new filter (with a new gasket attached), and it leaks really bad, but is sometimes hard to notice if your'e not looking for it.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:32 AM

I missed the fact that you said it happened right after you started your truck up after the oil change, negate what I wrote above for your situation.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by plumo57
Another thing i've seen happen a time or two is the old filter gasket getting stuck on the block, then you add a new filter (with a new gasket attached), and it leaks really bad, but is sometimes hard to notice if your'e not looking for it.
This is exactly what I came here to post - make sure you didn't double gasket it. It will leak like crazy if you did.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:43 AM

Yeah, make sure you always wipe down the filter seat on the block before putting the new one on. To have a major olil leak like your describing sounds a really odd; if it's not the filter or the drain plug. You just need to check and look where "new" oil is coming out of. It would be interesting if you post the cause so we would all know what's going on with your yota.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:45 AM

I've heard of this as well. It's the reason I never ran synthetics in my older Chevy truck. I think its the sludge thing but also because the oil might be thinner and more slick, it gets in and out of places easier.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:20 AM

oil leak

OK, thanks for the insight. Will check the oil filter gasket later. I was afraid that maybe the synthetics acted as a solvent on one of the engine seals, though based on people's comments this seems unlikely.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by akarchin
OK, thanks for the insight. Will check the oil filter gasket later. I was afraid that maybe the synthetics acted as a solvent on one of the engine seals, though based on people's comments this seems unlikely.
That is correct. It would take a bit of time for that to happen. If you have a massive leak upon startup, it would indicate poor filter gasketing.

FWIW, genuine Toyota filters use a round section gasket with a clip that keeps the gasket on the filter, and this all but eliminates double-gasketing type oil leaks. And they're about $6 each from the dealer. I buy the v8 ones by the box, as they fit all the v6 and 22r engines.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It should be easy to find an oil leak that is dripping purple oil lol.

Rob
Old 06-20-2008, 06:18 PM

it was the oil filter gasket

I feel dumb - it was the oil filter gasket. Not the double gasket scenario as others suggested, though. I use the Napa filters (which I believe are rebranded Wix filters) and the gasket can actually separate from the filter body and I guess it became unseated. Never noticed that this could happen. Also noticed that the rubber gasket around the drain plug had gone all brittle and broke off when I removed the plug. Also, didn't notice this when i originally removed the plug for the oil change. May just be psychological, but I'm just gonna stick with the synblend from here on.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:03 PM

it happens. you can actually remove the seal from all filters if you wanted.

I'd suggest keeping the purple until you see another leak because as of now, it is psychological. you bought some oil and maybe lost some, but if it works better for you, then you're not losing anything.

but if you're happier with the castrol, keep using it.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont want to hi-jack, but I switched to synthetic (Mobil1) and found it instantly quieted down my truck and found it ran smoother. But I seem to have developed a leak right on the front of the block where I guess my oil pan bolts up. It leaks a little onto the skid plate.

Now I suppose I am stuck with the leak even if I switch back to dino juice.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:58 AM

If you have a major leak its got to be as above,the old filter gasket is still in place,or a deffectice filter.Synthetic oil because of there makeup,they lubricate better,and have a tendacy to push past gaskets on older engines.This case sound like maybe driver error..
Old 06-21-2008, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by toyotatom93
I dont want to hi-jack, but I switched to synthetic (Mobil1) and found it instantly quieted down my truck and found it ran smoother. But I seem to have developed a leak right on the front of the block where I guess my oil pan bolts up. It leaks a little onto the skid plate.

Now I suppose I am stuck with the leak even if I switch back to dino juice.
could be the front seal- easy enough to replace after you get the crank pulley off.