86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help! Need Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help! Need Advice!

Hi Guys, I really need some advice. I have a 1990 second generation 4runner that I purchased about a year ago from a private party in Medford. We had her a few weeks before her true problem emerged. She doesn't always want to start. So, we went through the usual suspects. First, we bought a new battery. When that failed to fix it, we changed the starter, and then the cable. Nothing works.When I turn the key it just makes a clicking noise. If I wait a while and try again it usually starts and sometimes rolling the car a few inches forward or back works too. We checked the flywheel and it looks ok too. So here is the question: is there anything else you can think of that may be causing this problem? Any advice you have is appreciated. Thank you!
Old 01-31-2009, 02:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
id say started contacts or ground issue..
Old 01-31-2009, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ground issue for sure. I got off work one morning and the Runner wouldn't start. Tried to boost it - failed - replaced the starter - same thing, just a clicking. Turns out it was the battery leads. Do cheak your starter leads....
Old 01-31-2009, 02:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It could be a ground issue, so make sure the engine block ground is in good condition. Also check the large wire from the battery to the starter for any corrosion around the terminals (meaning check where the actual wire enters the terminal, not where the terminal(s) bolt or connect too) and make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight, and don't put any grease on the terminals before you tighten them down. Most automotive grease is actually an insulator so having it between the terminal and the clamp is a bad idea. It's not bad to smear some around AFTER things are tight though. If you HAVE the compelling urge to grease the terminal before you install the clamp, use something like Noalox or KopperKote - available from Home Depot or your friendly neighborhood electrical outlet. (/me prefers Noalox - also good for use as anti-sieze on fasteners....)

Might be an issue with the ignition switch or starter relay too. If you apply battery voltage directly to the terminal on the starter which has the small wire connected to it and the starter does its business, the issue is with the starter relay (if you have one) or the ignition switch (if you don't have a relay). In the latter instance, installing a relay between your ignition switch and the starter is the best option.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:21 AM

Thanks to everyone! You have sure given us some other avenues to explore.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:49 PM

ummm--no doubt you've found out by now that the problem is internal starter contacts--i'm assuming after replacing all of the aforementioned parts that this is your problem--after owning six of these wonderful beasts and replacing the contacts more times than i like to think, i've learned to check them after the first click--
take a bar or even a shovel handle as long as it is 3' or better, look between the top of the right front wheel and the fender into the motor--(move the plastic curtain aside if it still exists), you should be able to see the starter --simply tap the side of the starter with your "tool" and try to start the vehicle again--i've had to smack it pretty good when out wheeling but that's usually only if you've ignored the first signs of distress--
all that to say, you have a 1 hour to 2hour fix that if done by yourself will cost you about five bucks give or take--(the actual parts that cause the problem are probably worth about fifty cents)--have fun with your new experience--
Old 02-06-2009, 06:37 AM

Thank you

Originally Posted by sotb3
ummm--no doubt you've found out by now that the problem is internal starter contacts--i'm assuming after replacing all of the aforementioned parts that this is your problem--after owning six of these wonderful beasts and replacing the contacts more times than i like to think, i've learned to check them after the first click--
take a bar or even a shovel handle as long as it is 3' or better, look between the top of the right front wheel and the fender into the motor--(move the plastic curtain aside if it still exists), you should be able to see the starter --simply tap the side of the starter with your "tool" and try to start the vehicle again--i've had to smack it pretty good when out wheeling but that's usually only if you've ignored the first signs of distress--
all that to say, you have a 1 hour to 2hour fix that if done by yourself will cost you about five bucks give or take--(the actual parts that cause the problem are probably worth about fifty cents)--have fun with your new experience--
Thank you, we will try that!
Old 02-06-2009, 08:37 AM

I had a yota that had a missing tooth in the fly wheel and if the engine stop and algin the starter on that spot the started would just spin but if you rocked it back in fourth in gear it would move the fly wheel and start.It only happen every now and then maybe a rough spot on yours preventing the starter from engaging since the rocking some times helps. Just a thought.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cmoney79
I had a yota that had a missing tooth in the fly wheel and if the engine stop and algin the starter on that spot the started would just spin but if you rocked it back in fourth in gear it would move the fly wheel and start.It only happen every now and then maybe a rough spot on yours preventing the starter from engaging since the rocking some times helps. Just a thought.
Only problem with that is that his symptoms are a click... not the sound of a starter free-wheeling. I bet starter contacts (was that a new or rebuilt starter you put in), or loose wiring connection.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by GSGALLANT
Only problem with that is that his symptoms are a click... not the sound of a starter free-wheeling. I bet starter contacts (was that a new or rebuilt starter you put in), or loose wiring connection.
We are beginning to suspect a loose wire. I guess Hubby will have to go in and trace it out.
Thanks to everyone for your input!
Old 02-09-2009, 06:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sure its not the starter relay?
Old 02-10-2009, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
LOL No, not sure of anything right now! All I know, is that until we figure out this problem I am reluctant to drive her. I don't want to be stranded or made late because my car wont start!
Thank you for the input!
Old 02-10-2009, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by 4runner90X2
We are beginning to suspect a loose wire. I guess Hubby will have to go in and trace it out.
Thanks to everyone for your input!
Oops... I said "his symptoms" when I should have said "her symptoms". My apologies.

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 02-10-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
Good thought. The click they are hearing could be the starter relay and not the starter solenoid. Starter relay contacts (as opposed to the starter solenoid contacts) could be worn and when the relay closes, the worn contacts don't make a good connection.

The first step would be to crawl under the truck, disconnect the small gauge wire that goes to the starter solenoid (it's connected to the starter solenoid with a connector that just clips on). Put the positive lead of a voltmeter on the wire that was just removed from the starter, and connect the negative lead of the voltmeter to ground.

Have somebody turn the ignition to "START" and hold it there for a few seconds. You should see approx 12V on the voltmeter. If you don't, the problem is before the starter (ignition cylinder, wires, starter relay, etc...) If you see 12V on the voltmeter, then the problem is at the starter (worn starter solenoid contacts, burnt solenoid windings, loose main power wire connection, bad ground, etc...)

At least this test is easy, it doesn't cost anything to do, and it narrows down your problem area. Start there.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by GSGALLANT
Oops... I said "his symptoms" when I should have said "her symptoms". My apologies.
LOL I figured that was what you meant, and I took no offense. Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it.
Julia
Old 02-10-2009, 02:40 PM

x2 on wut gsgallant said....im actually thinking of sewing my multimeter to my arm..hehe j/k