86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help me buy my first yota pickup

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me buy my first yota pickup

Hey guys, after much research i have decided that I want to buy a 90s toyota pickup. From what I have read these trucks will run for a long time if all of the correct maintenance has been performed. I found a 1990 6 cylinder manual with 184k miles. Here is the link to the ad http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/1107365?ad_cid=9 I am planning on going out to look at it this weekend and I am wondering what things you guys recomend that watch out for when shopping for these trucks. Thanks everybody!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:56 PM

Welcome from Alabama.
Check for rust and service records. Some like the 3.0 and some don't. Price seems good but always try to get it down.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Same thing you look for when buying any used car: maintenance records , do you know much about previous owner/s? Was it used to tow ? Wheeled hard? Why not look at a carfax report , was the HG changed already under recall? Will dealer or owner let you take it to a mechanic to look it over ?

I bet if you walk in with $2,500 cash it's yours .

Last thing , don't get fixated on this one truck , be willing to walk away if it don't feel right , I remember I literally had dreams about my buying my first 4x4 , with the cash burning a hole in my pocket ... Take your dad with you , or a friend when you test drive it ....

Good luck , nice looking truck .
Old 12-28-2013, 01:52 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Welcome to Yota Tech!!

If your new to Toyota vehicles.

What is your main use going to be daily driver or off road toy or a mix of both.

I would spend a week on here just reading threads to get a little idea about these trucks. Look how people love to hate the 3.0 engine

Are you capable of doing most of your own work??

We all have things we hate or can`t do so keep that in mind.

If you need to take everything to a mechanic to be repaired things get expensive fast.

Like anything else over all condition .

no fluid leaks under the vehicle.

engine compartment looks neat not covered in oil or coolant.

starts quick no real strange noises

Clutch and Trans work and the 4x4 works in both high and low range

auto trans fluid looks good and does not smell burnt .
Old 12-28-2013, 08:43 AM

So it was a trade in and he doesn't have any info on what it was used for in the past. I am planning on doing a carfax on
It. If it has not had the recall done on the head gasket do you think there is any chance a dealer will still honor it. I wouldn't think they would but I have heard from some that they will and from others that they won't.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
front valance panel is tweaked plus no front bash plate. Wonder why it was taken off??

I'd look under the truck for signs of being bashed off road, look for a bent transfer case guard and other signs of being beat up. Looking under it might show signs of mud and other things. leaks and such.

Look for misaligned body panels, over spray on rubber and under hood and in the door jambs. I suspect it has been repainted as it's missing the stripes...not big deal if it is a quality job. All this being said it's only a $3,000 vehicle so one can't expect it to be perfect. Look closely at engine for leaks, drive and feel and listen for noises of vibrations at various speeds and while braking.

I suspect a crappy paint job as the tail gate release has been painted body color. Remove seat covers to see what's underneath. Missing lids for side covers at the rear seats and some other interior pieces.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dealer will most likely not honor the head gasket recall. We're talking about a 23 year old truck. Some have had luck but don't count on it.

If you are not afraid of doing your own work I say go for it. The 3VZ-E is not an easy engine to work on due to its myriad of vacuum hoses and tight spaces. But if you like off-roading then you can't beat it for the price.

If you've got a bit more money, try getting a 3.4L Taco or 4Runner. They don't have the HG issues and have more power.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:45 PM

Alright, so I went and checked out that 1990 and It was in a bit rougher shape than I want. I am looking for a daily driver but I do a lot of mountain biking with rougher roads to get to trailheads and I would love to get into a bit more intense wheeling than an old beat up fire road at some point. I have always been into D.I.Ying stuff and I have done basic car maintnence stuff before. I wan't to do as much of my own work as possible but I also don't want to get in over my head. I have seen this truck driving around town for years and I have always drooled over it. http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/1050279?ad_cid=11 I have always wanted a solid front axle and this truck has pretty much everything that I have been wanting to do to whatever truck i get. I just worry about buying a truck that is already built up like this. Would you guys completely steer clear of something like this for someone who doesn't have a ton of automotive experience or is it worth taking a look at?
Old 12-29-2013, 10:48 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

This is one of those things if you can look at the quality of the work and really see if it was done correct or just thrown together.

These trucks are pretty much a labor of love and you can save yourself lots of time and money buying one with all the goodies you want .

I have seen things go both ways Great problem free vehicles or a new garage queen one thing after another.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:58 PM

if i had to chose between the 2, I would choose this one it has the 4cyl 22re which is nice , only thing you might have problems with is the gearing if its stock with those 35 inch tires . with 22re , 5 speed , sas , this truck will prob sell fast

Originally Posted by merrillvisual
Alright, so I went and checked out that 1990 and It was in a bit rougher shape than I want. I am looking for a daily driver but I do a lot of mountain biking with rougher roads to get to trailheads and I would love to get into a bit more intense wheeling than an old beat up fire road at some point. I have always been into D.I.Ying stuff and I have done basic car maintnence stuff before. I wan't to do as much of my own work as possible but I also don't want to get in over my head. I have seen this truck driving around town for years and I have always drooled over it. http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/1050279?ad_cid=11 I have always wanted a solid front axle and this truck has pretty much everything that I have been wanting to do to whatever truck i get. I just worry about buying a truck that is already built up like this. Would you guys completely steer clear of something like this for someone who doesn't have a ton of automotive experience or is it worth taking a look at?

Last edited by 85toy4runner; 12-29-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:25 PM

After buying several used vehicles over the course of my lifetime, I would only purchase from the original owner with up to date maintenance receipts or a dealer that can offer a full warranty. The ladder may be impossible to find due to the age of the truck but you can only try. You may have to pay more upfront for it but it usually saves a ton in the end. All the little bullcrap parts an old vehicle needs add up to a lot of money. That doesn't include labor costs and downtime. It's just too much. I paid $900 for an extended warranty and it more than paid for itself when the tranny went out. Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:49 AM

Alright, so I found pretty much the exact truck that I have been trying to find! It is a super clean 94 with 180k. The motor was rebuilt at 60k as a result if the head gasket recall. He has all of the receipts and everything. The only problem is that he has 3 or 4 guys coming to look at it the same day as me and he said that if I want to take it to a mechanic I can wait till after everybody else comes. How important is it that a mechanic inspect it? If I just made sure I had a good checklist and thoroughly do you think that would be good enough or should I just wait and see if it gets sold?
Old 01-02-2014, 12:00 PM

I got my '93 back in 2009 as a first vehicle in high school. 167,000 miles on it back then. At 190,700 now. Ive had it the four and a half years since. Aside from basic training and deployment, I have been using it as a daily driverand weekend offroader every day since. I like to think of it as a daily crawler.

NOT ONCE has my 22RE had trouble starting or running. I have had a cheap battery die on me before, but a pop-start and a trip to the store for a new one fixed that.

I knew NOTHING about trucks, engines, suspension or general maintenance when I got it. A haynes manual, youtube and a couple of weekends under the hood and under the chassis got me aquainted. Its easy to maintain, good on gas for a four wheel drive pickup old enough to drink.

If you can get a 22R or 22RE in a truck that isnt too badly rusted. DO IT. I am in a healthy obsession with my truck. I'd never part with it. Best trucks on the road today, IMHO.

You also have the greatest community of guys on here who can solve any issue you have. I pester everybody regularly on here and only get good results.

Best thing to check is the timing chain guide, if the seller will let you pop the valve cover.

Last edited by SLAYfriknBODIES; 01-04-2014 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by merrillvisual
Alright, so I found pretty much the exact truck that I have been trying to find! It is a super clean 94 with 180k. The motor was rebuilt at 60k as a result if the head gasket recall. He has all of the receipts and everything. The only problem is that he has 3 or 4 guys coming to look at it the same day as me and he said that if I want to take it to a mechanic I can wait till after everybody else comes. How important is it that a mechanic inspect it? If I just made sure I had a good checklist and thoroughly do you think that would be good enough or should I just wait and see if it gets sold?
If you know what to look for then you won't need a mechanic to look at it.
Several other people coming to look at it the same day could be a sales pitch to get an impulse buy.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:14 PM

I don't think it's a sales pitch because I actually asked him if he had other people interested. He said he just doesn't want to have to deal with taking it to a mechanic if he doesn't have to so that's why he said he would wait. Here is the link to the ad. http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=133...a&model=Pickup
Old 01-02-2014, 02:55 PM

If you are buying it for a project then go off your checklist. If you need it for a daily driver have a reputable Toyota mechanic look at it. They do this for a living so they would know what to look for. Don't force yourself to buy just because it sounds like a good deal. Good deals pop-up all the time. The best deals happen naturally and effortlessly. Something always happens to go wrong when things are rushed. Good luck.