Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

help getting 4 runner rear hatch open

Old 11-06-2011, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help getting 4 runner rear hatch open

Hey i just picked up a 94 4 runner and the rear hatch is rotted out, so i bought another one for it. Im guessing the motor for the window is gone also. Is there anyway to get the window down so i can open the hatch to remove it? I'm guessing you cant open it with the window up? Any help would be great.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:53 AM

help getting a '94 4Runner tailgate open

EDIT: ok, i just re-read your post. If you already bought a replacement tailgate & rear window, why don't you just take a BFH and break the window and force the lock up so the tailgate will open? You don't care about the old window & old tailgate anyway, right? This is much easier than my original post below:

Crawl into the back of your Runner by lowering a rear seat. Take a phillips screwdriver and some basic tools with you.

gently pull back on the carpeting that is covering your tailgate. The carpeting is held in place with about 10-12 plastic clips, so don't lose (or break) them as you will need them to replace the carpeting once you are finished.

Once the carpeting is removed, you can see a black piece of sheet metal that needs to be removed to get to the rear window motor & gears. Your Runner may (or may not!) have a sheet of protective plastic that will have to be removed first. Try not to tear the plastic so you can replace it when you are through... it keeps cold air out of your Runner in the winter time and protects the window motor from moisture.

Unscrew and remove the black sheet metal. Make sure you don't lose the screws. Now you should be able to see the motor & window innards. You can also access the tailgate lock mechanism, but don't try to force your tailgate open without the rear window being down at least half-way or you'll break the window.

Unplug the window motor from the electrical connections and using your hands (or a screwdriver, if you are careful), try to wiggle the glass down from inside the tailgate. You'll have to grab onto the very bottom of the window (including the tracks) and it is a chore to get the window lowered at least half way.

If you can somehow get that rear window down ALL the way, the rear tailgate should unlock no problem. If you can only make it half the way down (enough so the top & sides of the glass are free from the black window frame), then you can jimmy the lock (from the inside) to unlock the tailgate. Expect to sweat a lot while you are doing this.

Have someone else stand outside the tailgate so you have an extra pair of hands to lower the tailgate gently, if the glass isn't fully retracted. If you try to push open the tailgate from the inside, it may slam down and release or break the glass.

Once your tailgate is open you can do the rest of the work from outside your truck. I would definitely grease the window tracks (runners) and gears before replacing all those parts.

Good luck

Last edited by GO_BLUE!; 11-06-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:13 PM

I already have the back all apart so i could take a look inside. So if the window is up its automatically locked? I thought about breaking the window, but then i figured it might be good to keep for a spare. The window is up on the tailgate i bought too, so im gonn ahve to get it down before i install it.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:42 PM

It's not that hard unless you have a rusted out/rotted tailgate like I think you do!

Yes, the window has to be down at least part-way or as far down as the window clears the frame. There IS a way to trick the lock mechanism... provided the tailgate is already down. And yes, the tailgate automatically locks when the window starts to roll-up... if you use the key or the switch inside, the tailgate will lock just as soon as the rear window starts to travel up. Also the "back door" light in the dash will turn off when the tailgate locks.

I don't know if this will help you, but you can "fool" the lock mechanism when you install the new tailgate by leaning up against the tailgate as you shut it, but hold open the door handle on the inside. Make sure you don't close the tailgate all the way, but ALMOST all the way. By holding the door handle open you will still be able to lower the tailgate while simultaneously rolling up the back window via the key. This is how I clean the inside of my rear window on occasion. The lock mechanism activates but the tailgate isn't completely shut thus allowing the tailgate to lower.

Have fun.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:51 PM

Ill have to give that a try. When i took the cover of there was a plug unplugged on the motor. When i plugged it in the back door light came on in the dash and is still on. I i was hoping when i plugged it in the it was gonna work, but no luck with that lol
Old 11-06-2011, 12:52 PM

Dont break the glass. There is a small shiny metal tab that needs to be grounded to complete the circuit. I bent it down or you can use a screw driver. Then have a friend open the window with the key from the outside. Or you and a friend can push the glass down if the window is open slightly and the key is in the "roll down position". Or take the motor out and it will slide down freely. The window motors are easy to find and the ones in the passenger doors work as well for the tailgate.