Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help with flush a/c system

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with flush a/c system

92 toyota pickup 2wd manual tranny 22re
I need some help with flushing my ac system.today i took apart my ac system evap,condenser,dryer,lines and plug the compessor holes with paper towel.
Anybody knows how to do this correct way?
I need to know what kind of chemical to wash them with?
I know i will be replacing expansion valve,dryer and condenser so basically i just need to clean the lines and evaporator
Does anybody know what step i should do after flush it and put it together?
some information will be helpfull instead of negative comments i did search but cant find anything
Thanks
Old 07-16-2012, 11:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The part store carry a product for flushing ac lines .I usually pore a small amount of cleaner in the evaporator and condenser lines and rubber hoses,and blow them out with compressed air into a paper towel ,repeating until clean.Remember to blow as much cleaner out as possible ,This may not be the correct way but I have done it on a couple trucks with no problems.

Last edited by swampfox; 07-16-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:31 AM

Be sure to measure the oil, if any, that comes out of the condensor & drier. Then replace the same amount with the appropriate A/C oil.

And buy a real expansion valve and drier, a Denso product. After all, they are the original equipment supplier. When I replace my A/C system I went cheap and bought a generic expansion valve & drier. The expansion valve has several threaded adapters that comes with it to work with many different vehicles. I had to use adapters to mount it in place. The adapters create another possible leak point. The Denso one, as their catch phrase says, is a first time fit.

The drier was a similar vein. The generic drier was smaller in diameter, had to fab up something to take up the space. The glass port at the top was teeny-tiny. The Denso is a perfect fit and the glass sight is maybe 4 times as large.

Go Denso, it's not that much more expensive. The condensors are still available from them as well.

http://www.densoaftermarket.com/ac-components.php

Last edited by slow-mo; 07-16-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:42 AM

Too late,oil already all over the floor but im sure i can get exact measurement somewhere here or google.
Is there anyway that clean without air compresoe/gun? Bc i dont hv one.what about that vacuum/extractor thingy after i pur everything back? Is it required? Thanks in advance
Old 07-16-2012, 11:49 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
Yes. You must vacuum the system to remove any air. Air contains moisture and doesn't work as a refridgerant. No point in fixing up the leaks and then not finishing the job correctly.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Westly7
Too late,oil already all over the floor but im sure i can get exact measurement somewhere here or google.
The total amount of oil is listed somewhere. But you will need to remove the compressor, drain it of oil, measure the oil and then calculate how much extra to add to get it to the proper amount.

Make sure and read my extra edited post above about the receiver & dryer.

Because of the flushing are you switching to R134a or do you have the R12 refrigerant?
Old 07-16-2012, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by arlindsay1992
Yes. You must vacuum the system to remove any air.
dito!

You must vacuum the system once it is sealed up.

Do NOT install the drier untill you are ready to vacuum out the A/C system. If you install the drier one week or weeks and then get it vacuumed out a different week, the drier will have already absorbed the moisture in lines. It will reduce it ablity to work properly. And do not remove the caps to the drier until you are ready to install the drier.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:22 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Do all the O-rings with Denso's as well... You can get them, for either gas, at the dealer, pretty cheap(I replaced 14, including the 4 large ones on the compressor, ones on the drier/all hoses to the evap, etc., condenser.... All of them I could. Then, I pulled the caps off the OEM drier(38$ from www.dealerdirectparts.com) and slapped it in, quickly.... after installing all the other o-rings and hoses and making sure I was 'ready'... Then pulled a good amount of vacuum on it with a vacuum pump/w/reservoir and let it hold there for a good while at 40#..... Clearing the lines is CRUCIAL, but also.... you'll be able to see if you hold vacuum on it for some hours..... "is it leaking"? You NEVER know with an old system/retro-nuts that might have been nicked, etc., ...if something is 'compromised'.

PS> The only OBVIOUSLY compromised o-rings were on my Compressor on the High and Low side... But I replaced them all. I've seen MULTIPLE threads on guys replacing the o-rings and the large ones on the hi/low valves on the compressor seem to be the most common to leak(along with the drier and condenser, as those are more commonly replaced).
Old 07-16-2012, 01:56 PM

If the compressor wasn't locked up the system might not be contamanated ,so it would be a matter of removing the old oil. The vacuum pump is not for cleaning the system , it is for preparing the system to install the freon ,as has been stated above. Do you know someone that would loan you a compressor?
Old 07-16-2012, 08:10 PM

I will look forward to get expanasion valve and dryer that high quality one for sure.
So about compressor i did rebuilt the compressor and tested after and it worked.but after that i installed it without flushing/cleaning/recharging the system,so do i need to clean the compressor too?
Do u think better if i buy vacuum pump or ask a shop to do it? And how much the average price ( vacuum pump and shop labor)? If vacuum pump not that expensive i like to do it myself since i have another car waiting to install a/c

On the type of freon im not sure it says r12 on my frame but i did put r134 fitting and they fit.
Keep all the input coming thanks alot guys
Old 08-13-2012, 02:45 PM

Updated status i bought new evap,condenser,dryer,expansion valve and clean all the lines,ready to install with new oring seals
Question:how to remove oil inside the compressor?
Is there any way to clean the compressor ? ( i heard u not supposed to mess with compressor just draain the old oil is enough)
How much oil should i put inside the compressor?

Any help asap will be much appreaciated,i will be doing this in less than 24hr