Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help Fixing Broken Speedometer/Odometer

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 11:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Updates/Positive Progress!

Determined to continue working on diagnosing the VSS, I resolved overnight to reconnect the VSS and drive to my local Junk Dealer for a cluster swap. Since I had so little skill/luck with voltmeter testing, I figured a fool-proof (or at least more-so than my haberdashery with electronic components) would be to connect a working DLX or SR5 Gauge cluster and see if the VSS registered.

Found a decent looking Electronic SR5 Cluster from a 1992 Automatic 4Runner with a 3VZ and 4WD sitting on the shelf of forlorn/forgotten clusters, and graciously the fellow runs the joint let me plug it into my truck. Referencing Superbleeder's SR5 Cluster Swap thread a lot this week, I unplugged my Oil-Sending unit and connected up the gauges. It Worked (sans oil pressure)

So, the Old VSS wasn't flawed after all! I promptly bought the Cluster (50$) and came home to dial back the Odometer to 142K from 223K. Name:  DSC00849.jpg
Views: 7453
Size:  49.0 KB
Here's a brief picture showing the small (white) gears which are removed along with the central pin on these Electronic Speedo's to move the numbers freely.
Name:  DSC00851.jpg
Views: 7251
Size:  48.9 KB
And my workspace, YT included.
Name:  DSC00853.jpg
Views: 7022
Size:  73.6 KB

So, now it's time to clean up the cluster, use the voltmeter (as soon as my roommate returns in 1.5 Hrs) to increase the resistance on the Tach for my little 22RE, and then reinstall.

I currently have the Oil Pressure sending unit on order at a local autoparts store (Winchester) and it should be here according to them by 2-3 o'clock.
Any further hiccups will be documented here with Oil Pressure, but this (technically) isn't the place for it.

Mission successful. Thank you to ALL who contributed, and once again, such camaraderie and respect is fleeting in todays world... so to come here and be treated so well and gain so much 'proprietary' knowledge is a fantastic feat. THANK YOU ALL.
Darkside, Worldwide!
Name:  DSC00858.jpg
Views: 7144
Size:  47.2 KB
Old 03-21-2013, 11:56 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
good deal man!
Old 03-21-2013, 03:58 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
For others that stumble upon the thread..

Code 42 doesn't turn on the malfunction indicator light(Check engine light).
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...26diagnosi.pdf
Old 03-21-2013, 05:55 PM

Thanks CO, and 92! Guess what.... now the Volt-Meter doesn't work on the cluster! haha. Worked before when it was plugged in too.... wonder what happened...

Any suggestions before i dig into it again this week? I'm thinking simply a loose/disconnected wire....

Also, With New Oil Sending Unit... the Oil Pressure Reader works flawlessly.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:10 PM

Further Plot-Thickenings:

Speedometer/Odometer INTERMITTENT. For some reason, these gauges don't want to work proper. Now.. Judging by what I've read in other threads, I'm almost 100% on the VSS going bad... but there's that little thing in my mind saying "that SR5 Gauge cluster worked fine earlier today... and now, it doesn't... did you connect everything correctly, Mr. RoCkEt?" I believe I did... but since the Speedo/Odo jumped up for a second on a left turn, I went out and turned a few 'tight ones' as we say in Da' Bay... and to no avail. However, the Volt Meter came up first start... It was just my poor sense of judgement on what constituted 'reading'.

SO! I think game plan one is go find a second Used VSS at another Local yard, and test it on the spot. if THAT doesn't work... then it's second dash teardown (I forgot to replace a bulb in there anyway... L.E.D. time? :happy and reassembly with OEM VSS before I go and buy a new VSS.

Lastly, Thanks CO for the Update/Confirmation on Code 42. I'll be checking that Diagnostic some time this week. Paperclip tha' two nodes together, hmm? And that'll flash the CEL.... And then we see.... What it Beeee...

Old 03-21-2013, 08:02 PM

Just a little Help-Along for those who come behind me as I ponder the causes/solutions of this problem:

(THREADS THAT HAVE HELPED ME ALONG THE WAY)

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ork-now-234916
(^^^ this one helps with testing the VSS^^^)

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...no-help-192616
(^^^Information about a Mechanical Speedo Problem, and a great thread-jack^^^)

MORE TO COME!

Last edited by _RaStA_RoCkEt_; 03-21-2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: fixing links
Old 03-22-2013, 03:15 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
I'd suspect loose screws or plugs, or maybe dirty connectors on the back of the cluster. The percussive test will indicate this, but of course it just makes it worse in the long run if they're loose.

You can clean grime off with rubbing alcohol, and the stuborn stuff with high grit sand paper. just be gentle and don't sand off all the copper.

It could be a bad wire also which isn't any fun to diagnose. You need a continuity meter, preferably with a buzzer, and have to flex on the wires to find a bad spot.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
I'd suspect loose screws or plugs, or maybe dirty connectors on the back of the cluster.
So, Problem apparently solved! I took a 800+ mile round trip journey to Death Valley last week and it worked flawlessly the whole time. I was reticent to take the whole thing apart again... but I'd ordered some 194 type Blue LED's for it, and when one wasn't giving the light I'd wanted I took it apart and sanded the terminals.

Worked great, and now this is (hopefully) behind me!

THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED!
Old 04-09-2013, 04:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gday Rasta
I too had issues with what I thought was a bad VSS but it turned out to be a crook electronic speedo but a quick trip to the speedo repair shop sorted that out as well as an SR5 cluster swap.
I tested my VSS by using a 12v battery,a multimeter,2pieces of wire with alligator clips and plenty of patience.
Remove the VSS from the transfer and put it in a vice, looking from the plug end of the VSS toward the plastic gear place the 12v power wire onto the rhs pin,the earth wire with clip on the centre pin and the multimeter set on 20v on the Lhs pin. Be very careful not to short the rhs and centre pins, now spin the plastic gear and watch the meter if it jumps up to 10v then down to 2-3v,this is your signal pulse for the speedo, then your VSS is fine if it doesn't move then you have a crook VSS.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:24 PM

Awesome . I have a 92 4runner with a dead Speedo/odo. Replaced the speed sensor that goes to the granting to no avail. Time to look for a replacement cluster. Thanks for all your findings!!
Old 04-30-2013, 09:06 PM

End of month Final Update:

Problem hasn't returned. Calling this one behind me. Thanks for the info from the Underside of the Globe Jester, I like your plan for VSS testing! If I hadn't been given access to the local parts bin of old VSS's at Toy Connection / Gino's, I'd be using that very technique.

Thanks to all who helped along the way, and to all the O.G.'s who find this, keep at it til' you fix it!
Old 06-10-2017, 03:41 PM

1992 odometer probems

I have a 1992 4Runner that was in a crash before I bought it and the guy didn't tell me the odometer was rolled back do you guys know anyway to fix t it? Also it goes about 4-5 miles under what its supposed to? I honestly don't know how to fix any suggestions?